Bob Sutherland's MAXTON cars | FerrariChat

Bob Sutherland's MAXTON cars

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Yoric, Apr 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Gents,
    I just rolled into my garage a 1990 Maxton. Bought it yesterday here in Colorado where it was built 25 yrs ago by the late great car collector Bob Sutherland (think Bugatti), amateur racer and founder of the Colorado Grand, among other distinctions. Only 50-some cars were produced in the early nineties and most still exist. Although my car only has 4,500 miles (neither the first owner, who was given the car by Sutherland as a reward for his excellent service--20 years plus--as manager of one of the Sutherland Lumber Yards chain, nor his son, the 2nd owner, were car guys), it came to me without any documentation or manuals of any sort. So, I'm at a loss as to how to service the car properly. Right now it's up on my lift getting its oil changed, being lubed and carefully inspected. Silly as it may sound I don't know the correct amount of oil to use or even the amount (short of filling it and looking at the dipstick), the grade or type. Since mine, like most, most came with the Mazda 13d rotary, I suppose I could search for specs , capacities and instructions referencing it. Hopefully a long time Maxton owner reading this will contact me with vital information about these rare little cars so that I can proceed with confidence to properly care for my new acquisition. Email me at <[email protected]> if you can help. TIA

2. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Post some pictures of it. I've always thought they were really cute cars. They look like the headlights were scooped out of the hood, flipped around, and then molded back in.

A really cool car. Congrat's!

Rick

3. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    Was this the one listed on BaT a while ago?

Very interesting little cars. Looks like a lot of fun.

4. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Yes, the same that someone called it to our attention on the Bring a Trailer website. I'm having a great time bringing it back to life--oil, plugs, filters, electrical glitches brought about by the PO's hamfistedness, and just general overdue maintenance. Good thing it was only owned for 4,500 by two indifferent owners (father, then son) otherwise if would have been much more difficult to address their carelessness. Judging by the MAXTON website all cars (55) survive and only four are owned by persons unknown. I'm hoping to meet some of them later this year when there's a 25th birthday reunion.

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    #5 Smiles, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    #6 camchain, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had the good fortune to spend a week with Frank Barrett in his Maxton on last years Grand (Frank is a board member and gets some latitude on what he drives in the event). The car was an absolute blast. The only nit to pick is the wind blast from the sides of that flat wind screen. I think that you got a great value Yoric. Contact Frank re maintenance needs. If you need contact info PM me. BTW, I think it was Frank that brought the car to the attention of BAT.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Ron and all,
    Thanks for your comments. The car is a delight to work on and to look at cosmetically and mechanically. Thus far I've only done basic maintenance and addressed a few needed issues but as I learn more I will do more when needed and just for the fun of it. Yesterday I spent time not at my garage but at the Boulder DMV as we worked through VIN verification, titling (had an out of state title), registration and licensing. It took almost one hour but he biggie for me was no emissions test now or ever which I was able to obtain by registering it as a kit car (some Maxtons were, others not). State Farm also took its time getting back to me though in the end they were happy to add one more vehicle to my monthly bill. So, now it's legal, more reliable as I become familiarized with its workings, and truly a blast to drive (1,705 lbs/210 hp/5-speed).

8. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    an ariel atom with a skin

9. Frank Barrett

Frank Barrett Rookie

Nov 19, 2018
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Frank Barrett
    Yoric

If you need help, contact me at [email protected] or visit the maxton rollerskate page on Facebook.

Frank