Bobileff motorcars bankruptcy | FerrariChat

Bobileff motorcars bankruptcy

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by 5000gt, Feb 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 5000gt

5000gt Karting

Oct 8, 2015
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If he can pay back all he owes previously. not right to run from your debts and then start a new business zero debts doing the exact same thing and get all the benefits. I know that's how bankruptcy works sometimes, but doesn't make it right.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    of2worlds, NürScud and anunakki like this.
  4. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Does anybody know the background of the story?

I guess if you have a car there you want to remove it as soon as possible (if still possible)?

5. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Rob, typically debtors are in Chapter 11 because they can't pay their debts and have operating cash. Ch 11 is different from straight bankruptcy. It gives a debtor the opportunity to discuss, typically with major creditors - meaning bank lenders - an arrangement whereby they or it agree with the debtor to be paid less than the full amount of the debts due. The arrangement will frequently provide that the bank creditor(s) extend an agreed upon amount of credit to permet the business to operate. If the bankruptcy judge finds the proposed arrangement to be fair and reasonable the arrangement is then submitted to all creditors for a vote. If approved the debtor emerges from bankruptcy and continues to operate the business.

Nothing evil in this at all. The alternative is: the business closes, all assets are sold, banks usually fare best and small creditors get screwed.

Bryanp and carguyjohn350 like this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    who knows, I warned users about 2 years ago.

G. Pepper, JoeTSI and dantm like this.
  7. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I’ve had four transactions and some work done there. Trouble free and very satisfied with the results.

Super mellow guy to deal with.

I will say that many of his projects are very long term. I can only imagine how much $$ he has tied up in some of those cars.

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Seth, I've known the meaning for years but I've never seen anyone explain it better - thank you.

9. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    thanks, Dave. made me LOL. Fifty years ago after 3 1/2 years active duty in the Navy, I had joined my Dad in his small law firm in New York City. Our client was a national clothing manufacturer with two plants in South Carolina. They had this same problem, a successful business but a down business cycle constricted cash flow. Dad calls me into his office and says - I want you to go down to Greenville S.C. and handle this Ch XI arrangement for XYZ Corporation. But Dad, I've never done a Ch XI before. Dad: you're a smart kid, you'll learn. So off I go to S.C. with my clients, same plane as the partner from Millbank Tweed, lawyers for Chase Manhattan Bank, the major creditor. Long story short, for six months I'm back and forth between NYC and Greenville, then back and forth on the Interstate between Greenville (where the U.S. bankruptcy judge sat) and Spartanburg (where the trustee lived and practiced law). Negotiating the terms of a plan of reorganization. I worked with a young South Carolina lawyer who was almost but not quite as inexperienced as was I. We finally came up with a plan acceptable to all and were back in Court in Greenville for the judge's final order discharging my client from the Ch XI and letting the business continue. A client of the Bank, also in the manufacturing business had put up the money and wound up owning the Company. But the two brothers who had started the Company about forty years earlier and were 74 and 67 years old, wound up getting lifetime jobs at very attractive salaries and a smaller equity participation. I took my clients to the airport to fly back to NYC. As they prepared to get on the plane each, with tears in his eyes, grabbed and hugged me and said: Seth, you've given me back my life. Made me very happy to have chosen to practice law, an opportunity to help people in trouble. Odd, thinking back, I've never written this down before.

lineaTesoro, jefbuel, nickmb and 13 others like this.
  10. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    sad news indeed. gary has a wealth of knowledge and brought back to life countless precious italian machinery over the years.

11. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
  12. ElvisNasty

ElvisNasty Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Elvis Jenkins Nasty
    Sad to hear, I liked Gary and he did good work on my car.

So what's the top choice shop in SoCal now? I'm not a big fan of Franco's European. There's also Blackhorse in LA which I haven't tried.

13. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

Just curious, may I ask why you're not a big fan of Franco's European?

Andrea S likes this.
  14. DSharon

DSharon Rookie

Feb 7, 2017
    I would like to put everyone at ease, I am an employee of Bobileff Motorcar and can speak about this matter with authority. Gary has unfortunately had some very pressing financial obligations due to his wife having stage 4 colon cancer. She was in the hospital in Switzerland from September to December 2017 and is now home undergoing chemo treatments and her future is uncertain. Health Insurance only covers a portion of the costs. In the USA, a typical chemo treatment can cost up to 65,000 per month, as she has another 5 months of chemo, Gary is not prepared to pay these expenses. Hence the Chapter XI filing was necessary, as this will make the company stronger. The future of Bobileff Motorcar remains secure, with no loss of business moving forward.

Hannibal308, 4re308, nickmb and 12 others like this.
  15. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    Wow, very sad to hear about Gary’s wife. I hope she gets well really soon. My thoughts and prayers are with Gary and family.
    Thank you for the update.

Mike

16. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Oh wow, I got to know Gary and his wife a few years ago when they visited her parents in Switzerland.
    He invited me to join them for a coffee Chat. I hope the best for her.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Met Gary once,super nice, guided me around his shop, lots of amazing cars, very sorry to hear about his wife,can not imagine what it is like to be in this life situation.

18. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Same, interested in knowing the same

19. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not a fan either. Many reasons.

20. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I've been a customer of Gary's since January 2002. I have a car there now having engine work done and an engine for another car that is next in line for rebuilding. When I was told that he had filed for C11 BK, I was legitimately concerned, but thought that it most likely was related to his wife Maggie's illness, and not the result of a business related issue (the shop is always busy).

I went to the shop the day I learned of it, and if I had not been told about the BK filing, I would not have been able to tell that a filing had been made (which is what you want to see in a C11 filing). Gary was at his desk and the same crew of guys that have been working for him for years were still there, the shop still full of cars, spanners clanking, air guns rattling, cars being dropped off and picked up. Business as usual. I had a good conversation with Gary about the situation, and he gave perfectly logical and legitimate reasons for the filing, as DSharon explained. Clearly the filing was to protect the business and ensure it's continued operation while Gary and Maggie deal with what to me is the more important issue at hand, Maggie's health.

peterp, of2worlds and Boomhauer like this.
  21. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Never dealt with the man but have know of him for a very long time. Sounds like he is going thru a rough time. I hope that he can deal with the uncertainty of the future. I take no pleasure in seeing a man file bankruptcy for any reason. Too bad he had to open up about his trouble.

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    really? not paying for advertising to promote your business? I honestly don't know, when was she diagnosed? over 30 months ago?

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that is terrible news about his wife. I hope she is on the road to full recovery. I assume the healthcare in Switzerland was free for her, but understand at some point you need to get home.

24. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #24 alberto, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    I've never been banned and I will be pleasantly surprised if this doesn't change but Rob: I've noticed your posts about Gary Bobileff have only been to bash him for some time now. You've been carrying this resentment for 30 months?? My advise for you is to move one and let it go dude.

Regardless of whatever the cause of your grievance is with him, your post is about as tasteless a post as I have seen on Fchat, and coming from the site owner, it's particularly despicable. Shame on you for trivializing his wife's health issues over a few dollars and your apparently continued hurt feelings.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is independent of his wife's health, I didn't even know about it until the above post. I believe I expressed my thoughts on that specifically well enough here... "that is terrible news about his wife. I hope she is on the road to full recovery. I assume the healthcare in Switzerland was free for her, but understand at some point you need to get home."

The business stuff is another matter, if you think OK to run and hide, then reappear like nothing happened with a clean slate, then you are wrong. I don't know how you do business, but unethical and poor businesses decisions cause negative consequences.

Adamas and ferralc like this.