Bobileff motorcars bankruptcy | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bobileff motorcars bankruptcy

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by 5000gt, Feb 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Agreed. Rob is right. Let's not infuse irrelevant topics into this, like another person's suffering into one person's business practices. I got hurt pretty badly dealing with this guy. I heard of many horror stories from other's. Maybe if some one removes a large sum of money from your pocket unethically you would't come to his defense. I wish more people would actually come out and tell their story so others don't send their prized possessions to this guy.

ferralc, dino206 and rob lay like this.
  2. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    What the hell do you know? A few dollars? Hurt feelings? Roll your Miura SV over to my shop and let me have my way with it. Than charge you double for the work performed and deliver you a dog-sh** of a result. You'll be all good after?

2NA, ferralc, dino206 and 1 other person like this.
  3. dino206

dino206 Rookie

Jan 9, 2017
    Full Name:
    Arthur M
    I agree with Geno. Easy to talk when is not your money. Any owner that wants a well-done restoration should think twice before going to Gary’s. His business practices are far from honest, ethical and decent.

ferralc likes this.
  4. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I don't wish what Gary is going through with his wife onto anyone, no matter how they have wronged me. But as it was so eloquently put, what the hell do I know.

5. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #30 Adamas, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    With respect, I usually have a different view of people who declare bankruptcy, which is - **** them.

Why should someone else's problem be my problem ? Don't make a promise you can't keep. If I'm owed $100,000, I want exactly that much- no more, and no less. If I owe someone $100,000, I'll pay them exactly that much- no more, no less.

In general, with some *extraordinary* exceptions, people who declare bankruptcy can go **** themselves.

I've never met the subject of this thread, nor had any business dealings with him or his company. I've never met his wife either, and doubtful ever will, but I shall say a prayer for her in the hopes that she gets better. Cancer is a horrible thing, but why should person/company A suffer because person B's wife/mom/self/whatever was unfortunate ? If bad luck befalls me, how many people here would allow me to transfer some of my financial burden (secondary to my said bad luck) to you, e.g. have you just send me some money ?

Mike

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I don't know Gary. I don't know the situation. That said, I will share my own story:

2008 my main business did really well, come 2009, the faucet was turned off. Note - this is many years before Sticky RX.

The economy collapsed. Work totally dried up. Doing sales calls was a total waste of time as the large companies who outsource work where pulling it all back in as they where hurting too. I had several hi dollar machine payments, employees, lots of overhead. Near zero revenue coming in. Keeping people employed and paying them from my own pocket until I just couldn't do it anymore. Laid every one off for a few months - had no choice.

I took ZERO pay that year, went in debt as deep as I could go to stay afloat. Just hoping for a good order to drop.

I contacted every one I owed money and was totally honest. The machine tool finance companies where great, but they had to be, so many walked away and they had more machines than they could wholesale. They liked guys like me.

I told them all - you will be paid, how and when, I don't know but you will be paid. I sent many $50.00 per week. I had one vendor I owed a few thousand. It took a year to pay it off but I told them I would do it and I did.

I was very fortunate to recover. Many did not.

Until you go thru this, you can never understand how hard it is. And I did it with no sick loved ones. Sometimes the worst happens to good people. Sometimes it's the hand you are dealt. Running a business with overhead and employees is no easy task.

Nobody wants to walk away from what they owe. Sometimes it just can't be helped. In my case, not a single person lost a penny but I may have been very fortunate to recover. Yes, I work hard but don't underestimate being fortunate.

4re308, Jaguar36, jefbuel and 8 others like this.
  7. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike

This scenario I’d not have a problem with, as you paid everyone back-it’s those who just totally bail on obligations about whom I say ‘**** ‘em’.

I should have made that distinction in my original post.

Mike

.....and good on you for doing the right thing by your vendors.

rob lay likes this.
  8. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I just remember his shop having done a bunch of work on a countach and years later hearing him tell the owner " get the car back to the shop and lets correct those tail lights"... first i thought why were they done wrong to begin with and secondly, we are in FL, isnt the shop in AZ?!!!! followed by, Never use that shop.

phrogs likes this.
  9. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    Rob -- Are you saying that Gary "ran and hid", then "reappeared with a clean slate"?

If yes, please share the facts with us.

If not, what's the relevance of those nasty words to this thread?

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    a thread about Bobileff bankruptcy and that they owe FerrariChat money isn't relevant? I don't think they are nasty words either, they are facts. what kind of ****ed up world have we become people don't face consequences and you condone it.

11. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Might want to read his post again, Rob. He said "if not"

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    well the bankruptcy isn't over, I don't think, it isn't a clean slate yet.

13. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Nothing like kicking someone when their down.

Gary has been in business a very long time and is highly recommend by many.

I’ve done just over $160k in business with him with no issues.

He has thousands of clients. No doubt not every transaction goes well.

I would venture to bet at least 10% of fchaters have filed bk.

Unless your wife has cancer and is in a foreign country, you cannot speak about his situation and derogatory comments are in poor taste.

In a better forum, we’d be having a fundraiser...

peterp, dmn23 and dcc like this.
  14. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    No matter who the parties are, it's sad when an aggrieved creditor decides to publicly badmouth an alleged debtor who's fighting to keep his wife alive.

dcc and carguyjohn350 like this.
  15. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Years ago Emilio had some issues.

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Geeeze......aside from Rob's grievance (I will assume warranted...) we have exactly ONE guy; Geno, pissing on Gary......out of multiple hundreds if not thousands of satisfied customers world wide....(myself being one of....). Could we maybe lay off Gary for just a bit, let him get his **** back together, and then pile back on some time in the future, when he can spend the time to defend himself? With apologies in advance to Rod & Geno...can the mods just close this ****ing thread?

ijvpet and carguyjohn350 like this.
  17. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #42 geno berns, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Pissing, is that how you describe it? I simply stated facts from first hand experience. Next time you spend $100k on $50k worth of work and on top of that half of the work needed to be redone maybe than you can grasp it. Gary had plenty of time to chime in for well over a year after my initial post but never did. What can he say when I am in possession of invoices for the same work already done but with a flawed result? Kind of hard to refute it. I been in the hobby for over 15 years. You say I am just one? I've personally communicated with at least a dozen collectors and well known shop owners that have a tale to tell. It's really not hard to extract information as people are willing to talk in great detail but not in a public forum. BTW did you interview these thousands of satisfied clients that are located throughout the world to confirm their satisfaction?

Out of curiosity what kind of car you had work done on?

phrogs, ferralc and dino206 like this.
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've seen it time and time again in our local Ferrari club and on FerrariChat where people are too much of a ***** to give critical reviews. I usually hear about these through back channels and recommend they make it public, hardly anyone does. Guess what, there are ALWAYS more users taken. We had a well known FerrariChat user in our local DFW circle that took anywhere from $1-10k from different members. No one was willing to talk, so this went on for a couple years new victims. At least I ran him off FerrariChat. I have no personal knowledge or experience with Bobileff's work, my issue is unrelated. However, if you think I'm going to start censoring people that have a review good or bad, you are dead wrong. The beauty of FerrariChat is the efficient exchange of information. Owners are no longer in the dark about shops, dealers, and market of cars. Yes you have to filter through the information yourself, but at least you aren't completely in the dark like the old days.

hyenahf and ferralc like this.
  19. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

I'll just add that I've heard other stories first hand that aren't good ones. But I have a friend who sent his Miura there for a complete engine rebuild and sump conversion plus some limited cosmetic work. He was happy.

YMMV. Every shop has a few negative stories and I'm not dismissing anyone's bad experience when I say that. He should have made Gerno happy once he said he was not. This is a very small community. I know of plenty of other such stories all at very well known shops, some have even been sponsors on here at times. My friend left one of them and sent his car all the way to San Diego to Bobileff's shop.

20. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Isn‘t there a president in the USA who proudly said during his campaign that having filed a couple of times for bankruptcy qualify him as a very smart business person?

hyenahf and Ira Schwartz like this.
  21. Wrong section for politics.

22. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm aware of Gary's political leanings so it's actually supremely funny. Hope I didn't speak out of turn.

That said ... I can't imagine losing the love of my life at this age to the big C so my prayers are with he and his wife irrespective of those who feel they may have not been treated unfairly. This the big one, life or death. You cannot buy or litigate you way out of that sort of trouble.

23. No harm done to this thread. Yes, best wishes for a positive outcome with his wife.

24. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How does your stupid comment add to the discussion ?

25. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Someone can be sympathetic to his wife and still be pissed if they (rightfully) feel that they got ****ed; the two thoughts aren't mutually exclusive.

Mike