Body & hide color suggestions ... | FerrariChat

Body & hide color suggestions ...

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Mattie69, Mar 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    Hi
    I have been working on 1961 250 cal Spyder recreation and it's finally ready for paint and interior , I want to go Ferrari red with the tan hides and black top,I have noticed that Ferrari reds tend to be different shades over the years,my inclination is to go for the reddest one, I am not sure which one is correct for 1961 ,or which one looks the best,is their a preferred paint brand?any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated .....is there correct tan leather hide name/color I should seek out?is Saddle correct? Some of the tans I have seen in pictures on cars seem to be to creamy , Any suggestions would be great, I am planning on going with a black European style canvis for the convertible top same type of material used on Porsche mbz etc, I am not sure if it's correct or not....being that the car doesn't have any concours value ,I am really looking for suggestions on which red and tan hide combos look the best, unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to see any of these cars in person ,so any suggestions would really be appreciated
    Thanks
    Matt

2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Matt, you probably are looking for the racing red that went on the cars of the 1960's, called rosso corsa. They painted Ferraris in this shade of red well into the 80's and 90's (and probably today) so you can look up the code on any 308 or Testa Rossa easily enough and order the paint off the shelf. Ferrari installed Connolly leather in the 60's. Some of the shades are still available here. Heritage - CONNOLLY

But, why generate one more red replica in a mass of red replicas. Why not paint it in a more unique period color? Good luck.

john

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    You might want to keep in mind that most Ferrari colors, I believe including Rosso Corsa, have had their formulations (including shades & tones) changed several times over years and decades. Just go to shows featuring Ferraris from multiple decades and you might see mind blowing variety of red examples, most claimed to be Rosso Corsa

Also, other than name, Connolly leather (probably shouldn't be even called as such anymore?) manufactured today has very little, if anything, in common with materials originally used in vintage Ferraris.

BTW, this thread should probably be in recreation section of this forum instead.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You're right.

Moved.

Matt

5. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    Thank you John for the info,I am torn on the color,I have had few red Ferraris in the past and I probably wouldn't buy another one,but I like the idea on vintage Ferrari ,I kinda wanted to go silver,but my painter keeps talking me out of it,says the chrome won't pop ,and I have an silver mustang convertable and like the contrast of colors in the garage,I don't believe they have a vintage charcoal ,yellow is out,I am open to suggestions
    Thanks
    Matt

6. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    Hi TTR ,thank you for your input

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Ferrari of that era does have a vintage charcoal, it's called grigio fumo, or smoke gray.

john

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

There is nothing finer than White or Silver with Red.

9. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    Thanks for the responses,you guys are right.....,I am going to paint it silver ,with red interior,my dash is the early type that is painted black wrinkle finish,I am going to do the tops of doors and folding top drape in black,seats, lower door panels , tunnel in red,I am thinking floor carpets in black,but most of those cars seem keep seats and carpets same color,,can any body tell me what the correct silver would be,and is their a specific color they named the red leather?
    Regards
    Matt

10. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian