Boeing 787 - still a mess: | FerrariChat

Boeing 787 - still a mess:

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Apr 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  2. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    "You can always tell the leaders by the arrows in their backs......"

3. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The 7 late 7 debacle continues. At least ANA will have some exclusivity in the skies for a while...look at all those unfinished aircraft (34+).

4. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    HA! You're funny.

5. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    ooooooooooooook Solo, time to drop the hard on for Boeing.

You've expressed your hate for airbus in the past, (and your equal love of Boeing). But that opinion (particularly the "Boeing can do no wrong" position) is frankloy ridiculous.

Lets take stock of the 787 programmes problems:

-Weak Wing boxes: http://www.zimbio.com/Boeing+787+Dreamliner/articles/18/Boeing+787+Dreamliner+composite+problem

-Fastener problems: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2008351743_boeing05.html

-MORE Fastener Problems: http://atwonline.com/operations-maintenance/news/fastener-problems-latest-dreamliner-nightmare-0309

-Delaminations during manufacturing: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003049536_dreamliner09.html?syndication=rss

-The issue of a major fire in an electrical junction box caused by a washer: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2013387936_787emergency10.html?prmid=related_stories_section

-Oh yeah and lets not forget that currently the program is TWO YEARS behind schedule...

And I haven't even addressed the issues that other Boeing products have had. The fact of the matter is, that when comparing Airbus and Boeing both have their faults. So drop the hard on for Boeing.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  6. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    +1

7. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    #8 solofast, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    I don't have a hard on for Boeing. Years ago I actually was a stock holder but I'm not now and don't have any reason to be their cheerleader. Get over it. I may think Airbus aircraft are crap, but that isn't the issue we are discussing here and it doesn't have anything to do with Airbus.

I just appreciate that they are doing something that has never been done before. There are going to be issues, delays and setbacks. Boeing isn't doing it all right. That is for sure. But they are also facing design issues with things that nobody has discovered prior to this and with the infusion of this much technology it isn't all going to go smoothly...

And I wholeheartly agree that both Boeing has had a lot of problems with this program, but would you rather have them rush it into production with flaws or problems that could cause people their lives?

8. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    This is funny (from Flight Global/Flightblogger)

Yes, agreed that Boeing shouldn't rush this into the air. But none of their dates have held thus far, which makes any date out of them unreliable from the start.

I'm starting to believe that a 767NG would have been a more realistic goal vs. this debacle. Also goes to show their reliance on outsourcing = massive fail.

9. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    Oh please Solo... no one believes you.

10. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello not sure of the outsource claim, but Boeing has manufacturing in many states outside of its home base. One reason is that it makes it Politicaly harder for a senator or congressman to cancel a project as it would affect their local jobs.

11. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    For military contracts, sure - but commercial, not relevant. There's nothing for anyone politically to 'cancel' a project. It's not funded by the government.

Boeing outsourced all over the world the majority of this project. And before anyone pipes in that this has been the case since way back when (going back to the 757/767 days) sure, but Boeing built the majority of all the parts and put them together. Now Boeing just assembles planes, they don't build them the way they used too. It's their way of spreading the 'risk' financially, giving everyone a stake in the project in return. Boeing doesn't have to cough up all the billions required to develop a new aircraft. They spread that to the manufacturing partners. No aircraft until the 787 has had this much outsourcing, and it's bitten them in the ass big time.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #13 BJK, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    Texas Forever likes this.
  13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    No, we don't trust you. :oops:

14. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

Meh......like the FAA can tell the difference between a nut and a washer. The whole reason they let the manufacturers self certify is that they don't have enough qualified people to do the job and don't want the blame for screwing up.

Texas Forever, TheMayor and BJK like this.
  15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    exactly why it took so long to get the Max back in the air.

INRange likes this.
  16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The FAA grandstanding after the 737 Max situation.

BTW: I love love love the Dreamliner. I spent 15+ hours LA to Melbourne and there's no other plane I would rather do it in.

Texas Forever and INRange like this.