Boeing beats Airbus... again! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Boeing beats Airbus... again!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by TheMayor, Nov 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Finally the Gulfstream 500 and 600 have side sticks that move together so both sides know what is going on. Gulfstream said for the 650 they had looked at side sticks but couldn't put the solution in place then.

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    B777 has mechanical controls, i.e. cables, on the spoilers (roll) and horz stab trim (pitch).

A330/340 has mechanical controls, i.e. cables, on the rudder (yaw) and horz stab trim (pitch).

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yes, outboard spoilers, roll and yaw, and stab trim. I am not privy to Airbus control systems but but it looks like they learned.

4. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
  5. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A330 (EIS Jan94) is same as A320 (EIS Apr88), so they have always had mechanical redundancy in their FBW aircraft.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

What is that white 'tower' thing in the background????

Beautiful??? Looks like every other 2 engine commercial aircraft w/ pylon engines.

7. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It has sharklets!

Used to be you could tell the different manufacturers apart by the shape of the nose/cab. They are all pretty much the same now. Seems they have all adopted the Embraer nose. Guess Embraer had the aero right. Also believe geometry has been shaped somewhat by composite manufacturing parameters.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    A technical designer, that I won't name, designed the nose on the 787 in the early 2000's and I believe that it set the pace for all to follow since then.

Gator likes this.
  9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I don't think that is a tower in the second image as it is not visible in the first image and has a ghost to the left. I think it is a reflection in the window of someting inside the terminal.

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Other than the oval shape on the A350 it could be a 777 fuselage with bigger cockpit windows. I think he A350 looks awkward when seen from the front coming in for landing but still a nice airplane. Closer in technology to the 777 than the 787 structure.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Not sure about that... so what are all those white square UFO things flying in formation in the first pic, then...???

12. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Lights reflecting off the glass.

Tcar likes this.
  13. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    There’s definitely nothing there so as said before a reflection in the window...an F maybe.

Absolutely.....great wing shape, proportion and cockpit window detail.

777 is currently my favourite twin but looking to flying on one of these.

14. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Oh its not a dislike of Boeing. Its like in F1 if Porsche was in it, I wouldn't cheer on Ferrari..... :)

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Sorry, my fault... should have said that that response was a joke...

mike01606 likes this.
  16. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    An area of Boeing vs. Airbus we have not been addressing is the Bombardier C Series. Boeing lost their challenge against the C Series and the purchase by Delta. But, before this loss by Boeing, Airbus is effectively taking over the program and setting up a production line for it at their Southern US facility.

Airbus may have just solved their own problem of A318/319 marketing. The A318 was a dud for the airlines (some VIP sales though) and the A319 is suffering as the airlines mostly decide to take the larger 320 and 321 versions. Now Airbus has a solution for the lower end that is an all new design and should have significantly better operating costs. The C Series has the ability to be stretched to encroach further into the A319 segment.

Boeing on the other hand is still dealing with the 737 which at some time has to be replaced. Boeing too has a problem with the smallest of its series, -7 Max. It has been stretched 76" from the -700 so it has moved up in passenger capacity but still the airline orders are slim. The "noise" about a tie up with Embraer and their updated E Series seems to have gone silent.

This looks to have been a nice play by Airbus. No development costs but gets what appears to be a good airframe. Airbus can roll it into their support and sales network which should strengthen its perceived viability to the airlines.

Boeing though is left with a problem. Do they just not believe that there is a sufficient market for smaller than the -8Max? Are they counting on Fleet Commonality considerations to keep the airlines from using this smaller aircraft on the thinner routes? Is this going to push Boeing into doing the 737 replacement sooner? Is there another dance partner instead of Embraer to get a solution with?

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Well UPS just bought 14 747-8Fs :)

Btw, that A350 looks weird with eyeliner.

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Probably makes USAF happy they picked up the two -8Fs at a bargain price. A little later and they would have been gone.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The Federal Trade Commission ruled against Boeing in their Bombardier complaint. Looks like Boeing will now try harder to tag up with Embraer so they have a C competitor after Airbus stepped in to rescue Bombardier.

Latest statement from Quantas' CEO is that they are canceling their A380 order for 8 aircraft because 2 787s carry the same number of passengers while using 5% less fuel than for a single A380. Plus you do not have all the hassle of limited numbers of appropriate gates.

20. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #95 BJK, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    A much needed shot in the arm for Boeing. :)
    It should be noted that United Airlines is a long time Boeing customer. Majority of their fleet is Boeing. I'm sure they get huge discount. .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_fleet

@1:45 "Boeing lost it's way and lost trust"

21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Delta got rid of the 777. The airbuses that replaced them aren't very capable of flying some of the routes that the 777 did.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Delta was an all-Boeing airline until they bought Northwest and inherited a bunch of Airbus types. Liked them better back then.