Boeing Dreamliner to fly today | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Boeing Dreamliner to fly today

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by davebdave, Dec 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    From what I know about it the 787 is as good as it looks. Cleaned up new aerodynamics, slippery surfaces, modern systems,etc. I don't like the name " Dream...whatever" either. Stratoliner, Stratocruiser, were good.

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I kind of like the stratotanker! :)

3. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    How long until some US Carriers are operating them? I'd love to get a flight on one.

4. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    reading this thread is very interesting, and Bob and others first hands insights are facinating, thank you

Bob, your comment below reminds me of an article i read, comparing the '90's cadillac production to new comer lexus....how lexus had incorporated quality inspection at each station, and fixed issues at that point, in comparison to cadillac, which inspected at end of line, and had to do fixes after the vehicle was completed......the result was faster production (per unit), virtually no completion rejects, and so time/cost of repairs

also, going back to this threads early posts, about training people in the south without this specific manufacturing experience vs. pacific NW workforce with years of experience.....do you know if there has been as a result, a large exodus of people from the PNW to south carolina, in order to find jobs in thier field....in which case, that whole exercise would be a doubley-waste-of-move IMO

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Continental/United is scheduled to get the first US carrier plane in 2012 sometime.

ANA has the first and will get 4 more in 11, I read.

6. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    While the 787 is a nice aircraft, I'm still a bit disappointed that the Sonic Cruiser never came to fruition.

7. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #132 4re Nut, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/43925643/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #133 F1tommy, Nov 16, 2012
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I still don't like United's new livery, which is basically Continental's with new titles. (In fact, when I first saw it, I assumed that it was an interim scheme on ex-Continental aircraft!)

I wish they'd find a way to add some red; all of the classic United logos I can remember featured both red and blue.

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I agree with you. The best large US airline c/s now is Southwest I think. Delta is pretty boring as are the very old AA colors(1968 when still based in NYC).

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I still like the old AA colors and logo on the Curtiss Condors then the second best was the same on the DC-2's and 3's.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #137 Gatorrari, Nov 17, 2012
    My favorite U.S. airline color scheme was the old Eastern "Golden Falcon" colors that they used in the early '60s, before they went to the dreaded "hockey stick".

The first aircraft I ever flew in was an Eastern DC-8-21 painted exactly like this.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Appears as though they have redone the nose for the 737 MAX:

http://www.nycaviation.com/2012/11/boeing-737-max-reaches-new-design-milestone/#.UKUJfeOe_El

"New renderings published Thursday showed one highly visible change from earlier renderings of the aircraft is the absence of a bump protruding from the lower nose of the plane which covered the nose landing gear. Through wind tunnel testing, designers reshaped the entire nose to improve the plane’s aerodynamic profile. “Removal of the bump demonstrates how far our design work has progressed,” said Michael Teal, chief project engineer, 737 MAX, in a statement."

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

15. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    I think that the original design for the 737 all those years ago was for "shorter" haul. Adding the complexity and weight of covered main gear wheels probably wasn't worth the reduction in drag. I think the longer the range, the more aero drag plays a factor in total cost of operating the aircraft.

I looked at the photo of the 73 Max, the windows look the same as the original....flat panes. I do hope they curve the windows, as that would drop the noise down considerably in the cockpit. I think curving the windows might require a different type rating, but not sure....so that may be a factor in leaving the windows as is.

Dogdish

16. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    They tried gear doors on the original design and did not realize any drag reduction benefit from what I was told, so they left them off.

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Reconfiguring the cab design will require re-certification. Bean-counters say no way, too costly.

They should bite the bullet and put a new nose on that bird, like the 787 nose. It will pay off in the long run

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Or the 757 nose, which was at least designed for the same fuselage diameter.....

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    They would still have to re-certify the airplane and that is the stumbling block I am told.

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    That would be such a huge improvement!!!

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    You're absolutely correct, Jim.

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    They would Have to re-certify it but not at the same level as new design. There are abbreviated levels of certification for variants which is what this would be closer to than and "all-new".
    The company is too hung up on the short sighted aspects of the "bean-count", (as usual).

23. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

So even though the 757 nose is certified, and the 737 is certified as-is, you'd have to recertify the new assembly? Seems like that would be relatively easy.

Shoot, this is the most successful aircraft in history, the VW beetle of aircraft... you'd think they could just do it.

(Would all 737 pilots, like Southwest, have to recertify also, unless they had already certified in 757/767 planes? - Is that part of the problem?)

24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not 100% sure as I'm away from my desk (and all the data), but I believe the 41/43 section break is not the same for the 737 and 757. This would mean significant re-design and the expense of the resulting manufacturing issues.

25. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Looking forward to the Denver to Tokyo route. That would be a great way to go. Hopefully I can fly on it one day.

-F