Boras: Is it true that to homologate it they needed to build 500? | FerrariChat

Boras: Is it true that to homologate it they needed to build 500?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by bitzman, Apr 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I always though an automaker only had to build 100 as in thee case of the AC Cobra, which of course built more than 100 but received homologation when only a few were built. But Wikipedia says "Maserati developed two Group 4 racing cars at the request of Thepenier, a French Maserati dealer. They were very competitive, but Maserati couldn't produce enough cars to meet the 500 road car homologation rule for Group 4 racing so the project was shelved."

Any factory PR shots of the Group 4?

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Wallace,

I hope you are well.

Thepenier was the actual French importer and had a dealership for the Paris area.

You must remember we discussed these at length when we met in Riverside April 2013 so you could write your review of my then new book Maserati the Citroen years which includes a definitive chapter on the Bora Group 4's. your review: it has part of the anwser.

https://velocetoday.com/maserati-the-citroen-years/

Here is a recent short text I wrote on them last year which will further answer your question:

https://www.classichemasters.com/models/maserati-bora/maserati-bora-group-4

I also did a test drive bio article of chassis 3001 the second Bora Group 4 in Sports Car International magazine (USA) in a mid 1990's issue (let me know if you need its exact number I have a copy in my library) and a much better rounded test drive bio article of chassis 3000, the first car, in Classic & Sportscar (UK) issue December 2009. Both can be bought on Ebay.