Borrani Finish- Paint to Polish? | FerrariChat

Borrani Finish- Paint to Polish?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by sully1967, Aug 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sully1967

sully1967 Rookie

Dec 4, 2014
    Napa, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris Sullivan
    I had the opportunity to visit Monterey last weekend and noticed a Ferrari 250 prototype (possibly a competition car that predates the TDF) with Borrani wheels that appear to be painted silver hubs and hoops with polished lips. Considering the car was on the 18th fairway at Pebble Beach, I'll assume this is the correct wheel finish for this car. Other cars of the era such as the GTO's appear to have painted silver Borranis as well (no polished details).

Skipping generations (and off the 18th fairway), the 330's and Daytonas with Borranis all appear to be fully polished. Is there a technical reason why Borrani/Ferrari went away from the painted or non-polished wheels? Thanks in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    1955 Ferrari 250 Europa GT Pinin Farina Coupe Speciale 0393GT, Rare Wheels Collection/ Dr. Rick Workman, Windermore, Florida

3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    As a general rule, race cars always had painted wheels. There was no reason to add all the work of polishing a wheel, only to have it thrown over the pit wall at every race. Some GT Berlinettas did have painted wheels with polished outer rims as a way to add a little "bling" to the car.

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  5. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    There's something about lightly distressed single butted spokes that makes me weak at the knees.

6. sully1967

sully1967 Rookie

Dec 4, 2014
    Napa, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris Sullivan
    Thanks, Mr. Ridgeley for the explanation. I personally prefer the painted finish also, although I wasn't sure if there was a material difference between wheel generations. Has anyone seen a Daytona or GTC with a fully painted silver Borrani?

The owner at Pebble Beach explained to me that the passenger seat of this car folds back further in order to remove the spare tire from the car if needed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays likes this.