Bosch fuel pressure accumulator: What is the extra hose connection for and how to connect? | FerrariChat

Bosch fuel pressure accumulator: What is the extra hose connection for and how to connect?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by high123bid, Nov 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. high123bid

high123bid Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Bo Andersen
    My 1985 400i kit came with two new Bosch fuel pressure accumulators. I have long since installed them but I have an open issue. Besides the two regular fuel line connections on the accumulators, there is a a small tube angled 90 degrees on the opposite end which appears to be meant for a small diameter hose. See photo. It is not shown in the Ferrari drawings. The only thing I can think of is that it is an overpressure relief drain. BUT, that would mean fuel running out onto the ground under the car close to the exhaust if it ever activates.... So, what is the extra connection for, and how should it be connected, please? Regards, Bo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. high123bid

high123bid Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Bo Andersen
    Or, could it just be atmospheric pressure relief? I discounted that as I am used to the Mercedes, Citroen and Maserati old hydropneumatic suspension pressure spheres and they never have an atmospheric pressure relief.

3. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Isn’t that the answer you are looking for?

I had to change mine 3 years ago because they started leaking from the 90° stuff.
    As Steve said, on my European model they were only “connected” to atmosphere.
    No more leak since then and no fuel on the ground

4. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Bo, Steve M and roger21 are correct...the function of the pressure accumulator is to hold FI pressure forward to the engine Fuel Distributor to reduce the chance of hot engine compartment temps to heat or boil the fuel and create a "warm engine hard start issue" (vapor lock). Much the same as a radiator operating at above boiling point, fuel under pressure will not vaporize as easily....the rubber diaphragm inside the accumulator retains pressure for minutes/hours after the engine stops to prevent fuel boil.
    The rubber diaphragm inside stretches and expands, then slowly contracts as pressure bleeds off, to do this it needs to be vented to outside air pressure to be able to move. If at some time the diaphragm dries and cracks or develops a pin-hole, fuel will leak out and indicate that to the owner as a fuel smell or puddle on the garage floor. The design and production of the car left these pipes open for that purpose, however, most US delivered cars had a rubber hose connected and routed back into the fuel tank. My accumulators on my '85 400i have been open to the air since new, no harm, just a sort of "warning light" if I ever smell fuel or see a puddle, I know what the cause is and replace the accumulators right away.

Gary