Bose Media Centre is Poor | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bose Media Centre is Poor

Discussion in '612/599' started by chris5150, Apr 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trevor_Baker

Trevor_Baker Karting

Apr 13, 2009
    Royal Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Trevor Baker
    I just had this email from Bose UK:

"Regarding your inquiry we are happy to let you know, that your local Ferrari dealer should have the so called "service update 1" available as of recently. Please contact your Ferrari dealer and ask him/them to download the mentioned update to your Scaglietti. This should resolve different topics. Regarding an actual map update there is final conversation / discussion with Ferrari in an advanced stage. The required software needs to be completed, checked and assembled on another set of CD's. The completion of this effort could still take some time."

2. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    Should have? Should resolve? Could still take time?
    Bose customer service Dept. - impressive service after the sale
    My son took his grandmas S500 - first thing we did was rip about the Bose after the FM portion broke and it was 3800.00 for a NEW head unit. Oh and it took 2 months under warranty for them to reply it was not under warranty. Thanks Bose for putting in a integrated head unit that literally destroys life safety issues when it breaks down.

3. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    Very vague on what you don't like. What's the beef?

4. sclja

sclja Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 23, 2004
    San Diego Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott Cairncross
    #29 sclja, Jun 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is a solution we engineered.... The alpine iva-d106 screen retracts and the whole unit motorizes in so the cf door still closes. It has a great phone interface through the touch screen with ipod a/v and sirius + nav traffic.

Scott /// La Jolla Audio
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    I have a couple of friends that are audiophiles. They always tell me "If it's got no high's and no low's it must be a Bose"

6. Trevor_Baker

Trevor_Baker Karting

Apr 13, 2009
    Royal Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Trevor Baker
    In frustration at the lack of live traffic when using the navigation system, I called Ferrari UK’s service department and was told that the reason TMC is not working on the Bose, is that Ferrari has not paid the UK government the necessary licence fee. No wonder customers are replacing their Bose systems with Pioneer and other units. I am lost for words!!!

7. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    I am loving the media center!!! I think its one of the best. I just took some time to get used to it. Its not perfect, but very very good. However, I dont get all the available playlists from my Ipod. Is there a limit to how many it accesses?

8. vnttg

vnttg Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2007
    CA
    I've posted before, and I post it again. Appreciate for any help.

It seems that the factory installed Becker system in my 06' 612 doesn't play MP3, although the Head of the Becker unit shows that it reads MP3. Noted that both 6-dics cartridge and the single cartridge Head are unable to play. I've also looked for a media card slot (CF/SD), but found nothing, same goes with IPOD/Iphone connector. I also gave up the effort of using bluetooth cell phone with the system.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think there is. However, I don't know what it is. You can also use the iPod controls directly, in which case you could access all your playlists.

My car just had it's first service, and they did a software update to the Bose. The only thing I can see for sure is that the font for the soft button is smaller-- a good improvement.

10. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Ipod connector is in glovebox in leather pocket, but it had to be ordered. If you have CD changer, you are using the only output of radio for that, so doubt you have iPod from factory.
    CF card slot is where Nav card slot is if you have it- pull faceplate off of radio, there are buttons IIRC. The knobs stay on the unit, just center part comes off/out. On L side there should be 2 slots, one for a nav card (there but empty if no nav) and one for CF card.

11. vnttg

vnttg Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2007
    CA
    I found it, finally. I did not know that you have to literally, physically pull out the faceplate off of the radio. Incredible, so mission impossible! So much for user-friendly interface. So glad, it is only in a Ferrari! By the way, the slot accepts SD card as well. Wil ltry to store some music, and hopefully it will play. Thank you so much, Sfumato.

12. kole

kole Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2005
    Cannot get the Bose system in my 599 to display highs, lows, subwoofer - so i cannot change anything. Tried the fix published above but nothing happened. Ideas would be welcome

13. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I've got the same problem, but after spending lots of time in the car this month, I've come to find that the sound system is actually amazingly good! I used to hate it, but it'll sort of grow on you after awhile.

14. Pitterrier

Pitterrier Rookie

Jun 18, 2009
    Palm Beach, FL
    I want to upgrade my 2005 head-unit to the new Bose Muti-Media and the cost for just the parts from Ferrari is over $30,000.00. The fiber optic link from the screen to the navigation component is $3000.00 and the screen was $6000.00. All this is before labor. I may have to reconsider.

15. Trevor_Baker

Trevor_Baker Karting

Apr 13, 2009
    Royal Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Trevor Baker
    I just had this reply from Bose:

Further investigations have proven, that the UK has special regulations regarding the availability of the TMC service. It became obvious that the statement of your Ferrari dealer in that regard is correct. That means there is no current availability of these specific functions. It really varies from country to country, and it seems that is was decided at one point during the development phase, that one will not bother with the various regional/national regulations and rules but limit function to those countries where service is available countrywide and for free.
    With that said I like to comment on your idea to replace the Media(R) System with the mentioned Pioneer unit.

Please consider the fact that there is a Sound System attached to the head unit. The tuning is part of the software included in the Media System. If you replace it, probability of loosing the overall sound quality of the system is very high. For your decision you should consider the possibility for tonal adjustments/EQ setting of the new unit. His will be the only possibility for tonal recovery afterwards.

In general I like to state that the replacement will not be "a walk in the park". Interfacing with the vehicle, a set of antennas the remote dials on the steering wheel and, last but not least, the sound system will be a challenge and finally certainly a compromise...

You asked for my comments, and I like to state that if your dissatisfaction with the navigation system is the driver for your decision, you may want to consider a hand held device, and leave the rest of the communication system as is. That is certainly the lowest risk / effort approach.

Best regards

Bose Automotive GmbH
    Customer Support Team Europe
    Frank Mueller

16. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I was told today that Bose have let 1200 people go and have dropped the media centre/Ferrari division as part of this. Seem like there won't be any more of these in future models. I was wondering why the JBL speakers on 16M, perhaps JBL is the new partner?

Incidentally, while modest, the ipod/jbl speakers offer a huge improvement on the Scud, but unsurprisingly nowhere close to the 612, but the 612 really offers a nice environment to listen to some tunes.

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm glad I got the recent software update, then-- I guess there won't be any more.

18. wassy

wassy Rookie

Oct 6, 2009
    any update on this subject?

19. wassy

wassy Rookie

Oct 6, 2009
    any update on this subject?

20. Trevor_Baker

Trevor_Baker Karting

Apr 13, 2009
    Royal Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Trevor Baker
    I miss real-time traffic and speed camera alerts. I hate making phone calls. The radio and CD are excellent; the sat nav is not as good as it should be. I've got used to its strange user interface. But, the 612 is giving me so much pleasure as my daily driver (often doing 300 miles in a day) that I'm no longer bothered about the Bose. In fact, I often turn it off.

21. snowblindfriend

snowblindfriend Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2009
    West Texas
    I've owned many Bose products in both cars and home/office products and have only ever liked 1 of them!!! My QC3 noise reduction headphones are great, although less than 45 days after receiving them as a gift the wire broke off at the plug and it took Bose 3 months to get me a replacement cord. I wish my 599 had B&O. I use Bang & Olufsen for virtually all my home audio. I drove an Aston with the B&O for a while and loved it. Bose is incredibly overpriced and overrated.

Going to try to make the adjustments mentioned earlier in this post on the Bose. It mentions having your ipod hooked up, well I don't have the optional connection. Will it work the same for me?

-sbf

22. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    'overpriced and overrated' is being kind:) words i would use are out of bounds for a PG-13 chatsite:)

23. snowblindfriend

Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2009
    West Texas
    I'm really late to this party, but I tried it with wonderful results. I think it might should be stated that on my car, doing this switches it from simple to what I'd call "expert" mode and stays that way until you press the 3 buttons and enter your code again. Turning the car off and on doesn't take you out of "expert" mode, which is a relief.

Can anyone tell me more about "then messed with the crossover so the small speakers dont have to reproduce low sounds?" I got the sub crossover set so it does not go above 110HZ, but I couldn't figure out the other crossover setting.

Thanks-
    sbf

24. Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    Florida
    My Becker system is not that great. The system in my Aston Martin was better. Has anyone taken theirs out and replaced it with something like a Pioneer or Alpine. A single height unit will fit fine but there appears to be room for a double height head unit if the CD holder is removed. I would like a CD/Tuner/Nav unit.

25. snowblindfriend

Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2009
    West Texas

Check out http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264270 for starters. Quite a bit of info about this topic available.

-sbf