430 - Bought a F430 with a false CPO checklist | FerrariChat

430 Bought a F430 with a false CPO checklist

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tamahal, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Hey guys, quick question and thoughts. I bought a 2009 F430 from a Ferrari dealership. It was marketed to me as undergone the CPO process but not certified. They claimed it missed 1 yearly service and Ferrari wouldn’t certify the vehicle. But, they sent me the CPO certification checklist showing the vehicle was perfect and cleared all the inspections (the checklist they use to certify a vehicle). When I got the car it was running rough so I took it to my tire guy, thinking it may need balancing. The front driver rim was badly bent. But what he also noticed was a oil leak. I sent the car to my local Ferrari dealer and got a list of problems. Some of these were a water pump leak and F1 actuator leak and some others, not to mention the bent wheel. They gave me a 50k estimate. Dealership where I bought the car said I bought it “as is”. Ferrari of North America said the same. No one is helping. I had the car in my hands for only one week. I’m not bad mouthing anyone , just wanted your guys honest and expert thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    That sounds like fraud, which if proven would defeat their “as is” defense, I would think. I would encourage you to consult a lawyer. It may be important to establish the condition of the car and your local dealership may be reluctant to provide evidence against a fellow dealership. A lawyer with experience in this area may be able to help you. And it may take nothing more than a lawyer’s letter to sort things out. Good luck. This sounds terribly disappointing. I hope you can get everything sorted out and enjoy this — or another — Ferrari soon!

OvertonAuto, Doc_K, VAF84 and 4 others like this.
  3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    This is very disappointing to hear about an F dealership. That on top of the fact the dealership wasn’t willing to help out when their errors were discovered. There was a former F dealer in my area that was not trustworthy and ended up losing the Ferrari dealers. I would expect an attorney who specializes in lemon law may be able to help you reach a favorable solution. Good luck!

Tamahal likes this.
  4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    OP..so sorry to hear. I hope it resolves to your favor. Unbelievable. Would you mind indicating which F dealer sold you the car so that we can all be careful going forward?

sainthoo likes this.
  5. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    There's a difference between buying a car as-is and buying one under false pretense.

sainthoo, Ryan..., Skidkid and 4 others like this.
  6. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I think you have a case. The 50k repair is an absolute ******** number though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeTSI and Caphill like this.
  7. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    My experience with Ferrari dealers is the reason why I get my 430 serviced by an independent mechanic that possesses all of the computer
    software and know-how to keep these cars running. 50K is probably a made up number to somehow extort great amounts of cash from someone
    who is very vulnerable. I have been through a similar experience and what was a 25K dealership scare turned out to be $4500 to fix. There are no scenarios where
    purchasing a used Ferrari, certified or not, does not need attention. And usually very soon after purchase. I would assume that the car had very few miles on
    it which is a direct path to oil leaks, dried up seals and a host of other maladies from non-use. I drive my car frequently and since my initial purchase find that less and less is needed as I drive it more often. Sorry about what you are going through.

CarAholic likes this.
  8. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Correct me if I'm wrong but missing an annual service does not prevent Ferrari from CPOing a car as long as they pass their inspection.

OvertonAuto likes this.
  9. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I really don’t know, that’s what the sales person told me ....

10. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I understand and I assumed the dealer would of just said, “ we will pickup the car and fix what ever we have to”, assuming they would be able to correct the issues at a much cheaper cost to them... but no, it’s your issue sir, you bought the car “as-is” is what I was told.

11. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

Sorry to hear about your experience!

If you want , PM me your chassis # and I will see what I can find out from the other side of the desk.

But to confirm, they did not sell you the car as a CPO car, just that they had performed the inspection , that they provided you the results of?

Did the inspection have a date and miles when it was performed?

Steve

Attached Files:

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    if you have that in writing the part where they said it passed the CPO inspection except it missed one yearly service ... and the documentation showing that was part of the decision process I would definitely talk to an attorney if the gm of the Ferrari dealership will not help you...

13. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    That really stinks. It has such a familiar ring. I thought about a McLaren 570 for my next ride. The Ferrari automobile is really beautiful.
    Sometimes the people representing them aren't. So sorry that you have to endure this stuff. You might want to run the car to a reputable independent qualified Ferrari mechanic and have that person do a complete diagnostic to see if going after the dealership is worth the hassle. If the tech comes back with 6 or 7 grand for complete fix it might be better to just bite the bullet, make the fixes and move on. Getting an attorney and spending the amount of time and energy it might take to get your money back might end up becoming ridiculous. However you have every right to go after them.

brookliner7 likes this.
  14. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Yup ... exactly that check list , date 6 months prior to sale and about 30 miles difference from time of delivery.

15. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    I fail to see how "running rough" leads anyone to take a car to a tire shop & how balancing a tire(s) is going to make the engine run more smoothly.

If you did buy it w/o a PPI & as is, I'm pretty sure you now own it & its problems. Dealers didn't get their bad reputation for no reason.

16. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Running rough was due to the bent rim. The oil leak was noted during the inspection and removal of the wheels.

17. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Again, how does "running rough" (an engine problem) have anything to do with a bent rim?????????? If you are talking about a vibration through the steering wheel or coming up through the floor, that has NOTHING to do with how the actual engine is running.
    All of which kind of explains how this situation came to be.

18. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Ok, maybe I should of said , “the car was bouncing around”, and when inspected the oil leaks were noted. My meaning of running rough was that the car was not running smooth. Sorry for the confusion. I’m not a mechanic.

19. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    The vehicle was only driven 20-30 miles before the leak was discovered. I don’t think that’s how the problem came to be.

20. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Not the problem with the car, the entire boondoggle situation.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Remember the guy who sued the dealership on a car that was supposed to have “all” issues fixed but didn’t? If buying a Ferrari from a Ferrari dealership and the inspection for CPO had been done and supposedly passed then I’d certainly say the car was misrepresented. That makes the as is clause go out the window because they made a false claim. Never mind the fact it’s supposed to be a Ferrari dealer and you pay a premium price for everything because they are supposed to be offering the best and representing the brand in a positive light. There are plenty of dealers that don’t rip folks off but even one bad apple spurs the bunch to some.

I think the 50k estimate sounds steep, especially if you can find a good independant mechanic though repairs won’t be cheap. Also is the rim able to be repaired? I’m sure that would be cheaper then a replacement. No matter what if I were in your shoes I’d find a reputable indipendant mechanic and have them go over the car. And even if you have to replace a rim it isn’t the end of the world. Good luck with your car what ever you decide.

22. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Can you post a picture of their $50k quote to fix the car here so we can see what they're wanting to charge you for exactly?

23. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I’ll put all estimates for repair, CPO checklist , correspondence from the dealer and etc once I have permission and clearance from my legal side. For now it’s just food for thought when your dealing with a Ferrari dealership buying a used Ferrari. I assumed they would be honorable and honest and that’s just not correct. So buying a used Ferrari from a supposedly reputable Ferrari dealer is just like buying a car from any 3rd grade dealer. So disappointing....

sainthoo likes this.
  24. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Yes I agree 50k is steep.... half of that is labor. Crazy Ferrari labor charges.

25. 071011sm

071011sm Rookie

Sep 1, 2017
    I agree.
    Attorney and all is no fun.
    Took me about a year and a half. Countless hours and stress. I even made legal precedent in court in regards to new car arbitration law.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Caphill likes this.