Bought a Skiers Edge | FerrariChat

Bought a Skiers Edge

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by WILLIAM H, Oct 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #1 WILLIAM H, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Get vid of a girl in a bikini on that for us!

3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Was looking for that. Think I'll make a few of my own ;)

Topless would be amusing as well

4. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Ryan has a strong argument.

5. No Lotus

No Lotus Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    I have one and used it pretty intensely in the past. It'll get you ready for skiing, no prob.;)

6. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    That thing has evolved a LOT since I had one of the first ones.... Lateral movement only back then and the rubber was so bouncy, but it still made a difference in keeping my feet together.

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Not that I think this is a bad device, but I have found much more versatility in SportCords (SportCord Home). As a former pro-mogul competitor, I've had my share of knee injuries, and these have always been instrumental in my recoveries. They were developed by a couple of fellows I know well (Topper and JA) in conjunction with the SteadmanPhillipon Clinic (at the time SteadmanHawkins), and I still use them for my normal exercise regime and pre-season dry land prep.

Inexpensive, effective and convenient.

CW

8. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ive used resistance bands before & they are worthwhile. I still use them

I think the skiers edge advantage over the bands is that it works all the tiny muscles in your calves & thigh that help you be more stable

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I'm not saying this won't do the job, but with the right list of exercises, you'd be surprised how hard you can work the stabilizers with just resistance bands, a bosu, a few, light free weights and gravity.

I've never been one for machines, though, and prefer free weights. So, I come at this from that perspective. I've always felt machines don't allow for 3-dimensional workouts. They have a specific, controlled motion. It may deliver exactly what you want.

Try some of these, though...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84uavm9V774]Olympian Skier Julia Mancuso Physioball Stability Routine - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNcBd_5cSwc]Preseason Ski Workout with US SKI Team Mogul Skier Heather McPhie - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ri6yRdGjsI]Ski Conditioning Workout - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrFsKVIhuZc]Pure Powder Ski Fitness - Strengthen - YouTube[/ame]

Too easy? Add some weight. Better, use the bosu anytime you're planting a foot or standing. I can GUARANTEE the stabilizers will get worked. Notice that these workouts almost exclusively use simple, uncomplicated aids. It's not about throwing up tons of weight, either. Sure, Lindsey Vonn can squat a bunch, but she is constantly doing stuff like these workouts. And, they can be humbling.

CW

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Got it all together, Its heavy. Good thing I got the wheel option to roll it around. I tried it for a minute. 1st workout tomorrow

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    '13-'14 season is open as of two weeks ago at A Basin. Loveland is also now open. Keystone ought to be next. Copper is preparing their training runs.

CW

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Was on it 25 min yesterday

Really works calves, quads, abs, glutes

Hope to get bikini shots soon ;)

13. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Used it for 3rd time today

WAY better than excercise bike, give you a serious workout

I put resistance on 1 to simulate skiing better

Really liking it

Bought a whole new bunch of Warren Miller films to watch while I workout too

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Cw,

Can you comment on exercises/routines that crossover well for skiing and racing cars?

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Both sports require endurance & strong cardio so it helps there + you need some core to stay in your seat sometimes.

Much more tuned to skiing tho

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Sorry for the delay. Just saw this. I agree that core workouts are important. That seems to be the trend, anyway. Lots of work with bosu, exercise balls and medicine balls. This involves balance and body weight. If other implements like barbells are preferred, I'd go for more reps with lighter weight as opposed to fewer with max weight.

Cardio is critical to getting a lower resting heart rate and keeping it there in the car. Personally, I like mountain biking/cycling for this. It's lower impact, and that's good for my post-operative knees. Swimming is also super. Trail-running also seems to be a good option. Ride a bike around the circuit at the end of the day a few times. It also gives you a closer look at much slower speeds.

I don't do any car-specific exercises, but I'm not driving nearly as much as I did in the past, either. My goal is general, overall fitness. That includes moderate to better-then-average flexibility.

One of the things that I've found as I age (as many before me have, too) is that my recovery times from injuries has increased. Within the last five years pretty rapidly, actually. Which, of course, is one of the reasons why so few professional athletes compete into their late 30's, even.

While some of this is mother nature, I'd also chalk some up to base fitness level. If you're healthy, you'll bounce back faster. Just my $.02, but I was watching a presentation on aging and fitness last night. A better base fitness level gives you more reserves to draw upon as you age. Aging is a guaranteed decline.

exercises for race car drivers - Google Search

CW

17. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I came back from Aspen last week. I dropped 10# since end of Jan so that made a big difference but I think the Skiers Edge really helped me doing the little hops between transitions that you do going down hill. I was doing them much faster & w more confidence. Love my Skiers Edge :)

18. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Where did you buy it? Roughly how much?'

Just finished last weekend of skiing in PC.

19. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Got it direct from factory, Think it was around $2300

I love it. I pop in a Warren Miller film & do 15 min warm up then go lift

20. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It's been 6 months. Where are the promised bikini pics?

Scott

21. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Well, we're now into September, it's time to pull the Skiers Edge out from under the bed and start to get back into shape for skiing. It's already snowed here (it didn't stick around for long) but it will soon be time to ski again!

I started using ours on 9/1 so I should be ready in November.