Bought an 84 Euro 308GTS QV today (July 2013) - now a maintenance thread | FerrariChat

Bought an 84 Euro 308GTS QV today (July 2013) - now a maintenance thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by GordonC, Jul 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #1 GordonC, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello gang,
    It's finally time to properly introduce myself! My name is Gordon, I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I've been a car nut forever, a Ferrari fan since I saw a yellow Dino in 1972 when I was 12 years old, and a member here for nearly 8 years, soaking it all in (and mostly participating in the F1 section).

I've had a 96 Miata for 17 years, gradually modifying it to my tastes to the point where it doesn't look at all like a Miata anymore ;). I've owned a couple of Alfas waaay back in the late 70s. I've had the opportunity to drive a few newer high end cars in the past couple of years (Ford GT, 458), but never lost the urge for a 308. I've watched the prices slowly come down, then stabilize... and as finances finally put me in a position to be able to afford one, the time came to act... and it didn't hurt at all that a Euro GTS QV came on the market in Calgary.

I've browsed this forum off and on for the past few years, and more intently over the past few months. Read the buying guides, the upgrade guides, maintenance guides, tried to absorb as much as I could.

So, I'm the proud new owner of SN ZFFLA13B000052703, a late 84 production Euro GTS QV. 51K km, 16" wheels, due for a major soon based on age (a good thing, I'll do most of it myself), runs very well, shifts into 2nd when cold, all electrics work, A/C doesn't blow cold, windows work but slowly. Has the manuals in the pouch, top pouch, full set of jack and tools, and reasonable service history. About the only thing missing is that it has a TRX wheel and old TRX tire in the spare tire well... but better than nothing!

Before I drive it much, I have planned: new tires; replace fuel lines with SRI; replace coolant lines with SRI; install Birdman fuse boxes (owner bought them, never installed them!); do major service; chase a small oil leak or two; replace rear hood struts; install window accelerators and lube window gears (may have to perform disassemble and full solvent clean); bleed brakes and check pads; clean and condition leather. Maybe a coat of wax, too! ;)

This forum and it's members are an incredible resource, and I want to thank you up front for sharing all your knowledge here - it made my research and buying process much better informed and confident. I'll be doing a lot more reading over the next few weeks as I prepare to get it caught up on maintenance, and may have some questions. I'm also planning to join the local chapter of FCA, and hopefully there will be a few more of the older cars for me to hang with at the back of the drives!

Here's a couple of photos of the new acquisition, along with two of it's stablemates - it's surprising how a 308 is hardly bigger than a Miata! About 11 inches longer, maybe 2 inches wider, and 2 inches less in height.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    Beautiful ride. Congrats and enjoy! :D

3. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Congrats Gordon. Beautiful 308! I get to Calgary a few times a year. Hope to meet you and your car some day.

Mark

4. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Looks great!

5. Sean308

Sean308 Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2011
    Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Well done Gordon
    Like you, i have gained a lot of knowledge about my QV after reading through the 308/328 section, its a great resource.

6. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    congrats! great machine

7. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Looks good, congrats!

8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nice car, Gordon. Congratulations!

9. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Congratulations

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Congrats on the purchase. Great to be able to buy local. Will be interested in hearing your comparisons to the Miata; should be quite a change. Size-wise they are the same, but weight is different. Would love to see a side photo of the two together.

I lived in Calgary (Crescent Heights) through the Olympics: very fun. Awesome city.

Pace yourself on the mantenance. My surprise has been just how much work it is addressing all the issues in my "no issues" 308!

11. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Congrats on the new ride!! That said, more pics of your modded Miata would be great!!

12. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    You are really going to enjoy the new car. I know where you are coming from as I'm also in Canada, have owned Miata's (3 of them), and got my first Ferrari earlier this year ('89 328). I've been doing some minor tinkering with it, but mostly driving it whenever I get the chance. It is so much fun to drive.

I really like the Italia body kit on the Miata. Did you do the install of it? I've got a Fiero project in the works that, like your Miata, looks nothing like the car it started with.

Rick
    Bolton, Ontario

13. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    Congratulations on your new purchase! I can't wait to see your GTS at one of the coffee and cars, or maybe one of the FCA events. European car show on July 20 maybe?

14. ferrariman1492

ferrariman1492 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Congrats and welcome to the QV Brotherhood! You'll love it! Drive it often and in good health.

15. Wilson308

Wilson308 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2012
    Arkansas, USA
    Full Name:
    Wilson
    As a fellow a 84 Euro QV owner, congrats and welcome! Good to hear you're going into ownership with a maintenance up front attitude.

16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, congrats, beautiful QV. I too have an 84 but US.

17. stev4266

stev4266 Karting

Mar 24, 2010
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    steven gregson
    You just have to love the look of the Euro cars

18. dreamChaser

dreamChaser Karting

Apr 20, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Congrats man! Hope all the water from high river is cleared so you can go cruising.

19. F1Austin

F1Austin Karting

Apr 29, 2012
    Near Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Pat Welch
    a TVR?,,Would you mind sharing the purchase price? I need to sell 47407,its very nice and very well sorted,Pat

20. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Beautiful!

21. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Beautiful car. Nice that it's red-tan rather than the red-black that is common in the euro QVs. Very different look at the rear without the basket-handle airfoil we're used to seeing. Euros also have their front hood and fender louvers painted body color... yours are black like USA models. You do have the euro bumpers, grille and mirrors, though.

22. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    No, it's a Miata with an Italia body kit.

23. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Welcome to the euro 308 club! My brother's name is Gordon. I know you will enjoy your car.

24. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Gordon -- Can you please post a shot, or two, of the engine bay? (Noted that it has had some outside marker light changes -- not as many as euro brought into the US -- but just wondering if there were/are and changes in the engine bay too.)

25. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    #25 FUNRARI, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013