Bovee 1000 Bluetooth | FerrariChat

Bovee 1000 Bluetooth

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Herik Juice Castro, Sep 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Herik Juice Castro

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Herik Castro
    Anyone else have this issue....

Turn the car on, car radio fails to recognize the Bovee adapter. Then you have to reach in the glove box, unplug the Bovee piece, and then have it reconnect to IPhone X? It happens every time getting into the car at startup.

Any suggestions or insight? Any luck with resolving this issue with another 30-pin Bluetooth adapter?

I have this Bovee piece in both a '13 and '14 Spyder. Bovee's troubleshooting is of no help.

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I use this in my Maserati GT and it works awesome. Once and a while I need to toggle the BT of the iphone on and off but that's it.

3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    You’re first goal is to determine what side is failing.

Is it the car to bovee side? Does the car “see” the bovee adapter after startup.

Or is the bovee to iPhone side. Does the iPhone “see”the bovee every time? Without playing anything if you open the Bluetooth connection on the iPhone, is the bovee there and selected?

Once it works just shutting down the car and restarting should give you a clue to how consistent and robust the connections are.

And provide next level clues on what to check...

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Herik Juice Castro

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Herik Castro
    The phone recognizes the Bovee everytime.
    What I can say is if the Bovee is unplugged and then plugged back in, the car recognizes it and the music plays just fine.
    If the car is turned off and then turned back one within 5 minutes, there are no connection issues and the music plays just fine.
    After 5 minutes, the Bovee piece shuts off (the status light turns off and the iphone shows no more Bovee bluetooth connection) and you turn the car on, the car does not recognize the Bovee so you have to unplug it and then plug it back in.

5. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Is there any timeframe when the car will always work after a successful operation and car shutdown after 5min?

If less than 5min works every time then I’d suspect the host hasn’t noticed the connection dropping. But after 5min the host times out and requires a repairing cycle which it doesn’t automatically invoke. Dumb.

But if never works after that the bovee might be off the hook for the bug unless it is not sensing a power down sequence correctly and doesn’t power back up well. The within-5-min observation stays with the bovee timeout limit. Essentially it stays “on”.

Unfortunately a check of voltage levels is necessary to help with this hypothesis.

If the bug is on the Ferrari side then the host usb power down and power up sequence as a simple but annoying bug...

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Herik Juice Castro

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Herik Castro
    Thank you for the responses so far everybody.

Hey SV, The latter is what I am thinking. The Ferrari is buggy...

A work around I have been thinking about is basically interrupting the power supply going into the Bovee via the factory Ipod cable and installing a timer relay in between to delay the power going into the Bovee at car startup. This would be, hopefully, mimicing starting the car and plugging in the Bovee piece.

My theory is when the car first turns on at the same time as the Bovee turning on with the car, the media system doesn't "handshake" properly. So maybe delaying the turn-on sequence of the Bovee may resolve it.

I will keep everyone posted and what resolution I came up with, if any.

7. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just go into Bluetooth in my iPhone settings and disconnect then reconnect the Bovee there. Works like a charm.

TomC9786, bball16 and Dave rocks like this.
  8. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Does this work for sure??

SV

9. phatteus

phatteus Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    My Bovee works exactly as the original poster described, I have to unplug and replug it every time I want to use it in my 2013 458. So it really depends on what problem you are trying to solve. If I want easy access to music, I leave my old iPod connected. If I want to use WAZE without hearing "Phone call ended" after every instruction, then the Bovee works like a charm. I keep hoping that someday someone finds/makes a plug where I don't have to choose, but alas it seems like it won't happen...

10. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Rather that opening your glove box and physically unplugging it, simply go into your Bluetooth settings, Click on 'Bovee', disconnect, and reconnect. Takes a few seconds without the physical effort.

bball16 likes this.
  11. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Exactly

12. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It does for me.

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I tried this adapter with my 2014 458 and I had the same issue and the only solution was to unplug and reboot every time. I just stopped using it. I still make some playlists and I keep an old iPod plugged into my 458. That's my solution. Kind of stinks if you are locked into a streaming service. Fortunately I have a ton of playlists I curated over more than 20 years.

14. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    My bovee 1000 works flawlessly ever time...
    Hope you figure this out
    K//

15. payneless

payneless Karting

Oct 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Disconnect bovee at Bluetooth settings on phone after start car reconnect and works great don’t have to unplug any connection. Just like v35 said.

16. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Dave - where does this "boovie" plug in on our Maser GT? Is it the only way to get iphone music to the stereo, or "the best way"?

17. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The only way to get it working 100% is to buy a extender cable 30 pin to lighning (non apple OEM) that is longer than the original 30 pin to lighting adapter which is 20 cm I think which is not enough to have the cable hanging out of the glow-box when closed. The plug it in to the iphone and it will work like a charm and charge your battery at the same time

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Herik Juice Castro

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Herik Castro
    Hello Ash,

Using a cable could potentially be another option.

When connected, does any of the metadata appear on the screen? Artist? Song? Playlist? Etc...

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    In the glove box. The car comes with a connector that plus into the Aux. Yes, only way.

20. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks. I'll order one. Appreciate the insights.

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  22. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I find that when I start the car I have to turn off and on the Bluetooth setting on my iPhone. After that it works great.

23. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sounds like a bovee bug.

Is the bovee paired to more than on device?

SV

24. Herik Juice Castro

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Herik Castro
    Tried a similar Bluetooth adapter made by Cool Stream, the "CarPro", and still does the same we exact thing that the Bovee does.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

25. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #25 Ash Patel, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Yes everything appears as it does with the bovee on the screen, artist name, song

But there are some gremlins that can appear once in a while, but very rarely, 2 times during this summer (5 months and 15 000 miles) this has appeared:

1. Sometimes it does not recognise the signal from the iphone (x in my case) even though it's plugged in and it keeps playing the music from the phone

2. Sometimes it does not show the titels, song names, artist name etc on the right screen --> No big issue as you can just scroll directly on the phone for changing song.

3. Almost every time the song names etc shows on the right screen you are able to change songs on the steering wheel to the next song (pressing the button on the back of the steering wheel) but you cant go back to the previous song ever, this just does not work at all. The volume is however always adjustable from the steering wheel.

4. When the song names and all that does not show on the right hand screen then you're not able to change songs at all on the steering wheel but to scroll directly on the phone.