boxer 19271 restoration | Page 30 | FerrariChat

boxer 19271 restoration

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Dec 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Not finished but getting closer. Focusing on the engine and gearbox right now. Will update with pics soon!

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #727 Newman, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    That's looking pretty !

I have to ask, is the Moose staying on ?

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Lol no it's not. It'll end up on my BB. Are you wanting one for the back of your testarossa?

5. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I think I"ll pass, but thanks for the offer.....

Paul, looking at the paint on the bbi in the other thread, is the paint finish the same on both cars ? I'm assuming this one looks different because the picture was taken outside. The color looks great with the the bixer trim !

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    They're different colours of course, but also, the '84 is a single stage process whereas this one is base-clear.

7. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    New reproduction BB windshield with antenna courtesy of Ferraripilot (John) Aahhhhhhhhh

8. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Thought so from the pictures but wasn' t sure - your car is coming along nicely, congratulations so far!

Bet you can't wait to turn the key

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    Yep, you've got that right. I've never driven a Boxer, haven't even heard a BB512 engine running (mine had a bent rod when I bought it, and thus doesn't qualify IMHO).

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #735 Newman, Apr 12, 2016
  11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #736 Newman, Apr 12, 2016
    I had the case dipped to strip the years of grease and flaking paint off then pressure washed it prior to painting.

Note the mis-stamped BB designation from AB which was for a 365 boxer gearbox. This car was made before the end of the 365 run and being the first drysump vs the wetsump 365 its like they just gapped on the new designation. Also note its number 3 on the box, the engine serial number is 4 with a machining number of 1 stamped on the castings. Pretty cool stuff.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    That's looking great Paul, good to see this car on track and getting set up.

Great pictures of the stamping, and great documentation/ verification for the owner to have in his history records.

Have you looked at the engine yet ? Anything similar ?

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    No mis-stamp on the engine. Machining complete and ready to assemble.

14. emcauto

emcauto Karting

Jul 1, 2009
    Do you put clock oil and what type and kind thanks............heard many theories would like your perspective? thanks nice work as well

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I didnt oil it. I left it alone just as I did with the other gauges. The speedo is getting the correct 330kph face so its in a million pieces. Im debating whether or not to zero the odometer. Two schools of thought on that....

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #741 Newman, Apr 14, 2016
    New pinion bearings in the inserts, new cone and rollers on the shafts. New syncros and a few forward gears. Installed the main shaft and reverse idler yesterday. Pinion and remaining gears go in today, then Ill start putting the plated studs back in.

Last pic shows the shim on the insert for setting pinion depth. This is where things can get time consuming. With new pinion bearings Ill assemble the box assuming the depth is correct or hasn't changed, install the carrier without a crown gear to set preload, install the crown gear and re-install the carrier again to check backlash and contact pattern on both the drive and coast side. That'll tell me if I have to take it apart again to change that shim under the bearing insert and recheck pattern.

Backlash is easy to set regardless of pinion depth but pinion depth determines how quiet the gears are and under what conditions. Too deep and you'll get noise during cruise and deceleration but quite when you're on it hard and noise under tip-in and throttle if its not deep enough. This is all because the pinion gear will move forward under load flexing the case while attempting to push the crown gear out through the rear of the box at the same time. The witness marks on the left carrier support from it moving around in these gearboxes plus the contact marks on the propellor shaft from it deflecting always makes me cringe because its clear whats going on under load. Scary stuff.

17. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    That's a tricky one, and I have pondered it. But since it ran on a metric speedo in Italy from 1976 - 1978, and this speedo was thrown away in 1978 when the car was federalized (and a mph speedo was installed), we don't know the real pre-restoration mileage of the car anyway.

And since we're now going to install a 330kph speedometer from a unknown donor car (I'll deliver the speedo to you next week) I think there's only one logical course of action, which is that we need to zero the odometer.

Opinions?

18. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    It looks great and I know it'll be perfect once you've finished. It's getting ever closer Paul :)

19. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

As long as no one tries to pass the car on as original milage then there is no fraud. The history that goes with the car reveals all. IMHO reset to zero.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    Exactly, and as long as it's clear that the mileage shown is the mileage since restoration then all should be fine, and it makes sense to do it this way I think.

21. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    #746 Spitfire, Apr 17, 2016
    Getting more parts ready for delivery to Paul this week. Here's what we've got:

1. NOS ignition coil.
    2. NOS starter solenoid (older style, correct for my car).
    3. NOS latches for rear clamshell (we'll keep the reconditioned ones for spares).
    4. New rubber boot for starter motor solenoid.
    5. NOS pad for front clamshell (amazed to have found one of these).
    6. A 330kmh speedo.
    7. Another 330kmh speedo.
    8. Two speedos together (Paul can select the one he wants to use).
    9. NOS passenger side glass.
    10. Etching on glass showing that it's of 1974 vintage (the rest of the glass on the car is also dated 1974).

22. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    As long as you have it all documented. The car is rare enough that the paper trail will be key.

The project is really picking up steam and looking good, congrats , and thank you for sharing all the pictures and updates. When are you and Newman anticipating completion ?

23. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    As you can see, Paul has started reassembling the powertrain, but there are still many smaller jobs that need to be completed. That said, our aim is to have the car finished this Autumn and to give her her first outing at Cavallino 2017.

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #749 Newman, Apr 21, 2016
  25. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Paul,
    What is that bolt on bar for on the gearbox? Is it to keep the forks in neutral for set up?