boxer 19271 restoration | Page 5 | FerrariChat

boxer 19271 restoration

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Dec 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Body panels are perfect including the rockers, the areas that need replacement are really minor and pretty straight forward to correct. I expected to find rust on a 76, sure beats one thats been whacked.

2. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Just wow! Never, ever seen anything that bad...

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #103 Newman, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This car needs a lot of panel replacement, if it was the first or last of a model or a prototype or a factory show car etc, I would save it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I would agree, hopefully the owner got it for a great price, but I would agree with Paul, being the first or last bb....it will sure have a great story to save such a car....and if you got it to concourse level , just having such history would be cherry....especially if you passed on just a vehicle to you name sake ;). These are just the type of cars that need to be saved. Definitely a project of the heart.

5. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

What was that duck tape holding together? Its nice that the car is now in good hands where it is finally being properly cared for!

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its holding the A/C box together, im not sure how it got broken but it looks like it was repaired in place because the underside where its visible is painted and the hard to access part against the firewall is what you see all cobbled back together. Im looking for a box now and a few other items that turned out to be broken or incorrect. Looking forward to seeing it in primer once the metal work is completed.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Do you think this car sat outside or something? I'm sure as a prototype, Ferrari really beat on it and didn't take any particular care of it, but it makes me wonder about my Boxer...

Of course, I know the history of my car for the last 20 years, and it's spent 99% of that time in a heated garage.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #108 Newman, Jan 7, 2012
    What I was told was it spent time outside and had its fair share of leaves on it when it would come in for service/repair. Another outside source told me it spent time in a container too. I dont know but it changed my impression of cars from texas. In 88 it was gone over front to back and called a restoration, we have the invoices but after that it was used and enjoyed. The distributor cap is dated 88 so what was done to it since then is just a guess but everything looks old - maybe 24 years old. The radar detector on the sun visor had mold on it and the park brake handle is rusty. The body panels are perfect and its straight.
    Ferrari classiche refered to it as a "Ferrari Experience car" and they held it until 78 before selling it to the first owner. What they did with it is unknown but we do know it was at the paris 76 motor show along with 20143 (the 77 amsterdam show car). Here are some pics, one looks to have no engine and weighed down and the steaming one says "the first BB512" in the caption so there were at least 2 there probably more since the one sitting low in the rear (bottom pic) looks to be engineless and maybe a prototype, or is it 19271 or 20143 or neither? Is the steaming car the one sitting in my shop? Were trying to find out. People that know colour and black and white have said the steaming car is not red, its a lighter colour possibly orange and the low in the rear car looks light as well. The pics are courtesy Mel Nichols from the Berlinetta Boxer book.

9. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Paul, not only are you doing a 'so so' job :) on the car, the history is fascinating. The 'lighter than red' comment really makes you think, maybe it is the orange car.

Cool to gather the info, proving once again: we're not owners, we're custodians.

10. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Paul, the lighter color car in the Nichols book looks more orange than silver to me...but it looks metallic too.. ?

One of the differences between the two early 512s in the Nichols book is one of the cars has the inside of the ducts painted silver and the other doesn't. You might want to try slowly removing the paint in that area to see if there is any silver paint, or would that have been stripped completely when repainted..?

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I tried that before diving in but the car was stripped of paint then sprayed red. Under the black is primer then metal.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #112 Newman, Jan 9, 2012
    Engine is ready to lift out, harness next then floors. The clutch discs were replaced but reused the rest. An air grinder was used to machine the metal surfaces and one of the clutch plate guide pin holes was stripped so a hole was drilled right through and a screw was used as a guide pin.

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Was the clutch stuck?

14. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    what is this, macgyver?

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Clutch wasn't stuck just poor judgement I guess.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Who did the grinding on the clutch parts? ... surely they have to be properly machined?

:confused:
    Pete

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Not sure who did but the clutch will be replaced and everything will be machined.

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Looks like some serious hot spots on the fly wheel/ pressure plates. Wonder how well they will machine out.

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #119 Newman, Jan 10, 2012
    Removed the engine and side panels today, sorted hardware for plating and packed parts away in bins. The goal is to get the car stripped down to the shell and on casters so the frame and structure can be blasted. The chassis will then go straight to the bodyshop where the panels will be manually stripped.

I dont understand the use of the grey textured paint just sprayed on portions of things like the distributor and block, but not all of it just like it was sprayed from one direction.

Kink in fuel line at pumps and a leak.

Surprised the old dinoplex still makes the whistle and runs the engine. We'll upgrade that to the msd internals and ill twist Sam's arm into adding the extra little gizmo that simulates the dinoplex whistle noise for the judges.

You can see traces of silver paint on the firewall where they didnt manage to hit it with black paint at some point in its past.

Scotchbrite for float screens (Murray I need more stainless steel screens).

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Was there a ticket in the records from JRV at Pinnacle?

It threw one side's belt from debris of some sort, after returning from Italy.

He redid the head on that side.
    Per the selling agent....:D :D :D

21. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    For you............................of course. Trade plus 50% for price should take care of it... right?

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #122 Newman, Jan 11, 2012
    Thanks Mr Glegg youre the best

I pulled the harness out from the rear up to the fuse panel, removed the fuel tanks and oil tank, removed the oil cooler line thats mounted to the chassis, the fuel pumps and the right side a/c hose and vacuum line up to the booster. Next I removed the main floor and rear firewall assembly exposing the frame and central lines. I want to save the brake lines, have them plated and install them again. The clutch line has a compression fitting installed up by the rack so ill have to replace that line front to back. Tomorrow ill remove the wire harness all together then focus on the foot wells. I feel pulling the floors was the best thing we couldve done for this car.

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    What made me laugh was the cross bars that the seats mount to. 175mph and my butt is held in the car by tooth picks.

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I'm sure the reasoning was that it is a monocoque unit when fully assembled, but still, the visual gives one pause.

25. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    You have really torn this car down. I thought I took mine apart until I saw these pics.