boxer 19271 restoration | Page 6 | FerrariChat

boxer 19271 restoration

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Dec 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1111

F1111 Rookie

Jun 12, 2008
    GTA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It'll be a while before she sees the light of day again !

What is the time frame here ? Surely it won't see the road in 2012, or will it ?

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    2013 was tossed around, no specific date but we want to enter it in a show or two before its put into road use and driven down from a 1 to a 7 :).

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    soda blasting scheduled yet?

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Already arranged.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Why are you not replacing the brake lines?

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The steel lines are fine and rather than fabricate new lines its easier to reuse the originals and have them plated. Its no different than refinishing hardware or original hose clamps, its all about it being correct and to throw out perfectly good original lines wouldnt make sense. We will be replacing the flex hoses of course.

7. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    #132 PINNIN512, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    These are the hard lines from the gas tank - fuel pumps- to the injector pleniums (sp.) I am redoing mine now . These seem to be zinc yellow plated and not Cadmium gold . It seems after researching several cars that most of the gold plating was zinc and over time this plating turns dark brown which can be confused with gold cadmium or clear .

Looking good Paul !

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ill be replating my injector lines on my boxer as well but this car is carbed. I took the brake lines out today, perfect condition so ill replate the originals.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

You are getting pretty close to just having the "bones" left :) ... If you can, please take a total pic of the car now that it is almost a skeleton, as one rarely sees a car stripped to this level and it would be helpful to archive such photos.

Cheers,

Sam

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #136 Newman, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #137 Newman, Jan 16, 2012
    I removed the suspension today and seperated more hardware for plating. The RR upper arm has a siezed bolt which Ill deal with later, today I had a limited time to get the suspension out and broken down. You can see the LR must've given someone grief in the past as well, they really hacked at the frame which we'll weld up and erase.

Rear hub carriers have black paint on the aluminum cast component as do mine on my 82. Clearly the paint was applied after casting and before machining just as on my 82 which is also pictured below. My car is pretty much unmolested, could use a replate but for now its original and a good reference for some of the parts for the 76.

Control arms will go very light gold as well as some other things like the wiper linkage. I noticed the tank straps are light gold with silver ends. Suspension will be a combo of gold, silver, black and natural. Rotors can be light grey or natural, ball joints natural but cleared satin to retain the look, steering rack has a chrome body rather than painted black so ill send that out for re-chroming with some other bits for the project.

The view my engine will have of my own boxer once I get time to put the engine and gearbox back together. I need to take a holiday just to work on my own car, summer number 3 without a running car is fast approaching.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Heck there is so little triangulation in that chassis frame. It really is just a ladder frame with a bit more added to hold on to the body work! Do these things have the rigidity of a raw sausage?

Surely the Countach chassis is far more rigid?, as from photos I have seen it appears to be a proper spaceframe as it is well triangulated.
    Pete

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

pete, the boxer chassis is seemingly very , very stiff. i have jacked the the very corner of the driver side rear up high and was able to open and close the doors as if the car was on a level surface. i did this in a nascar race shop where a few of the fab guys were stunned at how rigid the platform was!!! i was actually shocked too.

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That's impressive and good to know. Thanks.

Pete

16. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Never seen a Boxer so taken apart before in pics.

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Thanks Paul! That is too cool!

Cheers,

Sam

Gilles288 likes this.
  18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You know, I tend toward being a preservationist, but as I see what's underneath this car, I really think you are doing the right thing. This is going to be quite the Boxer when it's done!

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    We debated even saving some of the original paint inside the doors and various other places for that very reason but its probably pointless.

On the 308 resto I preserved the hand written sequence numbers on headlight doors, inside door panels and console etc. I think thats important.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #145 Newman, Jan 26, 2012
    Took a week vacation just got back early Wed AM, dragged my butt yesterday and got back on track today.

Note the front frame rails where the lower control arms mount then look at the square tubing butt welded onto the ends which splay outward and upward to support the bumper, inners, rads etc. The drivers side one is about a 1/2" higher than the passenger side from the factory.

The chassis is stripped of parts, nothing left to remove so its ready for blasting after I put casters on it.

21. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

That is awesome, great progress!

22. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #147 Crowndog, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    Is it possible that Ferrari did this on purpose? Consider harmonic motions created in the moving vehicle which would cause repititous flexing and stress that would weaken the steel or aluminum. Is it possible that several asymetries were specifically put in to the chassis to dampen these. As support for this I offer a paper from the 20's that show researchers in automotive chassis design were looking into this: (the first paragraph reviews the situation case #5)

http://books.google.com/books?id=jf1DAAAAYAAJ&pg=PP26&lpg=PP26&dq=chassis+design+and+harmonic+motion&source=bl&ots=Ws9vIvgu9d&sig=k0pfIVTLt4jPhHRp_qIrueURNvY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qRAiT7nTBcTV0QHz4ZHZCA&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=chassis%20design%20and%20harmonic%20motion&f=false

By the 80's I am pretty sure this stuff would have been mapped out. Of course this wouldn't apply to any structures that envolved handling per se like suspension points etc.

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thats probably giving them too much credit, I say it was an apprentice's mistake. It doesn't effect anything and to some it adds to the charm. I can correct it but I won't.

24. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Most likely. I was just ruminating out loud as to why they would possibly do such a thing? Perhaps too much wine the night before? What a project you have there. Amazing. My hats off to you and I love watching the progress.

25. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

+1 great choice. It makes me crazy seeing absolutely 'perfect' 250SWBs and 275GTBs and the like as I know even down to the door gaps they were not that good leaving Maranello.