BOXER BBi Ignition problems | FerrariChat

BOXER BBi Ignition problems

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PINNIN512, May 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    What are the signs of the ignition box failing or already dead? My car seems to be low on power and runs like 10 cylinders - starts to move in 3rd gear and stalls in 1st.

Thanks , DAVE

2. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    When the ignition box fails, that's it, won't run.

There are several possibilities but we need a little more input for a reasonable diagnosis. i am not sure what you mean about the 3rd/1st gear comment.

The plugs/wires/cap and rotor should certainly be carefully inspected first.

Brian

3. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    starting in first gear lugs too the point of shutting off!! second does the same - third seems like 1st and like no power! Then when up to 40 mph seems ok but cannot excell beyond that what seems to be no power again.
    Mabey a loose wire , bad gas , fuel injection problem?

4. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    My guess would be one of two possible problems:

1) Distributor advance frozen........need to dissasemble the distributor, free and lube up. This happened to my BBi last summer.

2) Possibly you're running on only one bank...........one of the fuel pumps is not running. Check the fuses........in the glove box. Make sure both pump wires have 12V.

5. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Henry ,
    Did you replace any fuses for the fuel pumps? If so are they easily available
    mine are all Bosch . They are not in the glove box but under the foot plate.
    It sounds like one bank is running!

6. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    My problem, with the BBi, was the first one listed..........now fixed.

The old type fuses are available from local auto supply stores.

My fuses are actually behind the glove box lining..........this has to be removed first.

7. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I think Pinnin512 was referring to the fuel pump "relays," which are mounted underneath the foot well plate, not the fuses, which are located in the glove box.

8. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David

I just checked the operating manual again and guess i was confused.After checking the fuses in the middle of the 2 boxes - all good. I will have my car flatbed to the mechanic this week and checked . Hope nothing major.I will not sleep until my baby is ok.

Thanks for all the input.
    Dave

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Go ahead and replace the Dinoplex with an MSD unit with an MSD Blaster coil. My Boxer runs better than ever since I made such a change.

10. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    I will check into this .

Thanks,
    Dave

11. Frank R. Masiarz

Nov 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Frank R. Masiarz
    Hi.........

Perform searches at the two major chat sites for discussions of the MSD unit.

Best improvement in Boxer engine perfomance ever.......for so little money. My Boxer engine would stop running at random intervals; could then start it up again after a few minutes of "rest". Replacement of the Ferrari ignition module solved the problem and have never had a fouled plug again either.

Frank....23005
    www.masiarz.net/bb_resource