Boxer dash removal | FerrariChat

Boxer dash removal

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by robertinOK, Feb 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    I have removed the complete dash for retrim on my '84 512BBi, but have a question about the very front dash pad that holds the air vents (two crescent shaped at the sides and 3 circular in the middle). In front of this, and mounted under the lower edge of the screen is an approx. 1" deep metal flange that goes the width of the screen, that on my car was covered in leather, which the dash pad was pushed underneath...my question is: is this correct? Or should the dash be mounted on top of this flange so it is held between the flange and windscreen...then the flange would not be visible and would not need covering.

I am changing to LED instrument bulbs whilst at it!

thanks guys,
    Robert

2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

How about some pictures Robert? I regret not changing the bulbs in my 308 when we had it all apart.

3. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    here are a few pics. The first two show the dash pad pushed under the leather covered strip under the bottom of the windscreen. The last 3 show the dash removed and the I have removed the leather from the metal strip which can be seen (just) as the silver metal strip running full width under the screen.
    The metal strip appears to be rivited to the body with the screen glued on top...it wont come out with screen removal....not somewhere I want to go! I can recover in situ, but not that easy to do a good job, and its very visible at the front of the dash pad.....but if the dash pad sat on top of it it wouldn't be seen....
    Can someone with a boxer check to see how theirs is?
    The reason i'm dubious is the dash has been recovered previously, and it was a pretty poor job, and wouldn't surprise me if they got it back wrong.
    Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I redid mine about 5 years ago. Mine is a 79 carbed BB. On mine the metal strip is a black anodized trim piece not covered in leather.

My top dash pad fits under this strip.

If I remember correctly there is small lower metal lip between this and the upper trim piece we are talking about. It fit between them but under the upper trim piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Robert,

On my carbed BB (1977) it does not have this piece and my dash pad simply meets the windscreen. Given Drew's comment and the pics of your dash, Ferrari must have changed their design. Perhaps a PM to Paul Newman to see what he says.

Cheers,

Sam

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Hello Robert. I have just taken my original 1984 bbi apart and can confirm that the dash pad is stung in below the strip and lightly glued in place against the bottom of the strip. The support strip is covered with what appears to be thin leather (Could be leather look alike, but looks more like real leather). The strip appears to riveted in place together with the sheet metal plate that carries the dash so you will most likely have to remove the window to get the strip out. It should be possible to re-dye the leather strip in situ should it be necessary, but it will be very difficult to change out the leather without removing the strip from the car.

Best regards Peter

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The injected car strip is riveted under the glass. Just another running change that improved the car keeping the dash top panel down and no windshield goop on the glass over time.

8. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    Thanks to everyone for their input and sorry for the delay in responding. The dash is now recovered in Alcantara, and I have refurbished seats and having a general clean whilst everything is out. I had a (common, I think) problem with the gauge lights being dim....mine were almost unreadable at night, so have taken steps to improve. Firstly, they use acrylic lenses....which look ok at first glance but are very poor on mine either due to age and/or years of wiping clean....so I have had glass cut for all and now they look like new. The difference, with standard 3W bulbs at night is now chalk and cheese: with two gauges next to each other on the bench, one with the acrylic, one with glass, the first is unreadable at 3 ft. (glare lights up the opaqueness of the acrylic) the glass one is easily readable from 6 ft. (all at 13.5V) I have removed the rheostat from circuit (gained 1.2 V) and will now go back and check all connections etc to maximize volts in car. I will check all under dash wiring and fuses before putting dash back in.