Boxer Fuse Block Upgrade | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Boxer Fuse Block Upgrade

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, Feb 24, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    good luck on the covers, try ferrariUK or trutlands as usual to see what they have.

2. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    +1 very happy. All credit due to Sam.
    Steve

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Guys,

Thanks for the compliments! They were a lot of work, but I am really pleased with the outcome and happy that you are to!

Cheers,

Sam

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day David,

Sounds good! I will put you one the list for the little fuse blocks as well.

As for covers, I found mine through All Ferrari Parts, however, I am sure the other suppliers will have them as well. I remember paying around $40 bucks (each) for them.

Cheers,

Sam

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

Funny you should say this... When Angelo sent me his covers for some test fitting, I noticed that the cover for the black block showed signs of melting...Not really bad, but certainly visible. Although he did not have any past issues with his original blocks, they were certainly getting very, very hot... which is not a good thing...

Cheers,

Sam

6. RobertinArgyle

Sep 22, 2004
    Argyle, Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert C Bledsoe, Jr
    Hey Sam- Do your fuse blocks use the "AGC glass cartridge fuses" or the OEM type? Just thought I would ask after reading a new post about another replacement fuse block. If I missed the answer earlier in this monster thread, I apologize.

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Robert,

My blocks do not use either. My blocks use the modern blade style fuses that are used in most (if not all) modern cars today. The other blocks that were mentioned are made by another f-chatter called Birdman. They are well made will work very well... and are cheaper than mine (I think birdman's are around $100 or so)! The biggest differences between them is:

1. Mine use the modern blade style fuses
    2. Mine will allow you to use your factory OEM fuse block covers.

Basically my blocks look and fit like your original OEM blocks, but properly engineered to address design flaws in the original design. Go through my original thread on my blocks and you will find a lot of technical data that I documented on these blocks... in addition to some nice pics :) ...

Cheers,

Sam

8. RobertinArgyle

Sep 22, 2004
    Argyle, Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert C Bledsoe, Jr
    Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to be on your list...

9. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Dear Sam,
    I finally got around to installing your jewel-like fuse blocks today and they were perfect.
    More perfect than the car, because I noticed that the attachment brackets on the car were not welded in the same plane and I had to bend them parallel.
    Thanks for such a well thought out design.
    Please let me know if you ever fabricate the center BBi fuel pump fuse block.

Gary

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Gary,

Thanks so much for the compliments! Indeed, I will put you down for the small BBi fuse blocks as well!

Enjoy your car (and your fuse blocks :) ) in excellent health!

Cheers,

Sam

11. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

sam, sorry about not returning your pm's. i have recently purchased new blocks from daniel @ ricambi so i don't need your conversion just yet. i have seen JTR's however and they look very good...i will get some in the spring sam. thank you for pursuing me and again, my apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

pcb

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Peter,

No worries about the PMs, although I was starting to take it personal :) ... No worries about the blocks, as long as you have newer set you are probably fine. If the newer ones still use the ceramic fuses, you may wish to periodically clean and check the tension on the fuse clips. Once the fuse and/or clip surfaces oxidize, the resistance will increase causing the blocks to overheat like the original OEMs.

Cheers,

Sam

13. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Got my fuse blocks in yesterday Sam. Thanks- they look great.

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

Excellent! Enjoy them and your car in excellent health!

Cheers,

Sam

15. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Hi Sam,

Got the fuse blocks on Friday. Very nicely made.

Put them in on Sunday. Everything fit great. I did notice, while pulling the old ones out, that the right side of the right fuse block cover, the section that covers the radiator fans, was beginning to discolor due to heat. Glad you did this for all of us.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Drew Altemara

16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff

Good day Drew,

Thanks for the update and the compliments! You are very welcome!

It is interesting that you noticed that the old covers were becoming distorted by the OEM blocks overheating. These were just the first signs that the OEM blocks were on their way out. There was another fellow that always assumed his blocks were fine until he actually looked at the covers and noticed the distortion.

Cheers,

Sam

17. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    They arrived yesterday, and upon frantically cutting them out of their restraints (nice job on the protective bubble-wrap, btw), I now understand the excitement of everyone else. These things look and feel great, so solid. It'll be almost a shame to hide them away, but they'll relieve my concern over the snap-crackle-crinkle sounds at startup, and I'll hopefully gain some quicker windows, better A.C., brighter dash and headlights, and ????? Now, I've just got to schedule the swap.

Thanks for doing this, Sam. Lovely work.

18. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Sam, great job! Fuse blocks installed just prior to leaving on a 300+ mile trip to Santa Inez wine country. Car was flawless on the road, and the confidence I felt knowing I didn't have a ton of destrutive heat in my glove box made it that much more enjoyable. Well done!

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    now you just need the center block for the pump fuses, they get very hot too!

20. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    I heard from a little birdy that your cars participation is needed in that effort! Surprisingly, after 2 hours on the road, I checked and it wasn't very hot. I still want Sam's upgrade though.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Mine was very hot the last time I checked it but no signs of melting or discoloration. Sam has said he'll make them and im on the list but in no big hurry - I might even get the first one!

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good evening Everyone!

Well, it is about time that I complete the fuse block set with the BBi 2-fuse Fuel pump blocks. Paul has graciously donated his mini BBi fuel Pump block for me to take the necessary dimensions, etc (thanks again Paul). The design is quite similar to my white and black style in that it uses modern blade fuses(2 fuses) and accommodates the factory OEM fuel cover and mounting hole.

Anyway, I would like to get an idea of who would be interested in these little blocks. As soon as I have an idea as to how many are interested, I will be able to determine what the price will be. Given that this little block is only suitable for the BBi owners, there will be a much smaller run made and so the setup costs will be amortized over a smaller quantity as compared to the black and white blocks. That being said, the setup costs are also somewhat smaller (no automated assembly, etc) and so the price should be not too bad (approx $100 or so for the little block.. maybe less depending on how many decide to order). Basically, I am only looking recover my out of pocket costs on these (PCB fabrication, CNC setup, parts, etc) and my motivation for doing this is to assist my fellow BBi brothers and to complete the fuse block set :). I don't expect to be making any more blocks (White, Black, or BBi Fuel Pump) after this run and so once my inventory is gone so will be the opportunity to buy my blocks.

So, whoever are interested, just send me a PM or a direct e-mail to "sams2" at "telus" dot "net". If I can get an accurate number within the next week or two, I can order up all the components (PCBs, CNC, etc) and have these blocks completed by the end of February or the first part of March.

Cheers,

Sam

23. qubdent@comcast.net

May 14, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Lucky Dog
    Hi Sam,
    You still make them for a bbi ?

24. stevenschuh

stevenschuh Karting
    Silver Subscribed