boxer market? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

boxer market?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ferraripete, Jul 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and roughly 75% of that price is tax in germany.....

2. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think it is too scary for many people. lots of bhp and no nannies.
    its one thing to have no aids in a 308 with its anemic power, but a well sorted bb goes like hell, and you only have your brain and right foot to keep it on the road.
    and thats for the people who know what it is.
    for the rest of the unwashed, they cannot tell the difference between the 308 and the 512.
    and then most people with 300k that are not cognoscenti are buying a ferrari to pose, and the bb is not a poseurs car.
    so it falls through the cracks.

but, put it in a big movie, or have a ton of pics with Lapo driving one, and then maybe it will catch on.
    meanwhile i am fine to drive mine in semi anonymity.

3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #78 ross, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    yes.
    i bought mine in 2009 for about 135K. put another 30k into having it completely taken apart and refurbished.
    drove to genoa in a hurry, did the giro di sicilia, and the targa florio in it flawlessly, then drove it back to geneva in a hurry.

it was then stolen, and slightly damaged in a couple places, so i let ferrari classiche at the geneva dealer do all the refurb work on the insurance dime - which cost them another 70k.
    and now 11 years on it still runs great with just regular maintenance.

its just a matter of overcoming the years of neglect.
    after that, its a solid car and will do you right.

ChipG and boxerman like this.
  4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I think they look great from all angles! But the reality is that they are not the best driving cars, the cabin gets hot with the plumbing, maintenance is pricey and the Testarossa, less expensive, fixed many of the Boxer issues and they made a ton of those.

5. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    hmmm will have to disagree.
    the bb is a better driving car than the first gen testarossa.
    the testa is a flabby awkward car by comparison, and was only fixed with the 512tr changes.

John B likes this.
  6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Respectfully, I would add another $10k to take care of 35+ year old electrics, interior refurbishment, minor body & paint.

And I'm sure the car is worth putting those kinds of dollars towards....I just couldn't stretch the budget that far (all in would have been $260k-ish in 2019)....so I ended up buying another icon and saving $80k. Maybe another time....

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think if you want a great boxer even today, finishing up at 260k seems a good bet. As always it ays to start with a good car, or one someone else has spent all the $ on.

George Vosburgh and Shark01 like this.
  8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed on your points.
    But the testarossa can cruise far better and the ac works, for many thats better, it was built for the USA market.

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    True, although I'm finding I like making my cars better....but one has to get in at the right time to make the most sense.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Curious, what did you buy instead.

11. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    The heat issue can be helped a LOT with insulation and undercoating, the AC can also be upgraded with a better blower motor and suspension can be upgraded, all 3 at a minimal cost but obviously effect originality.

George Vosburgh and boxerman like this.
  12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    To paraphrase Ettore Bugatti, dont drive it on a hot day. I find the stock shocks and springs work just fine with modern rubber(you can always chage the wheels for a concors) the barkes are more than adequate with good pads, the big chage is 17 in rims and modern rubber theyre transformative, narrow n front loses the heavyness at the wheel wider in rear is great insurnace.

Going further Newan cams and pistons to bring power up to 288 levels.

All of the above is somegthing a concors judge wouldlnt see or find, except the wheels and those can be swapped for shows.

Theyre the types of chages that vastly expand badnwidth, but keep the essentials feel and functional "orginality" of the car fully intact.

Yeah Ac and isulation alter "orginality" but do work.

ChipG likes this.
  13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #88 turbo-joe, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    right, and in thailand 1 ltr is less than 25 baht, so around 0,64 € or 0,75 US $, so 1 gallon is about 3 US $.
    how are the prices in the US just now?

14. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    depends on where you are.
    i bought premium 2 days ago at $2.79/gallon in houston.
    but i know california is closer to $4 now. florida is around 3.25

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I’ve driven both. Hated the TR, but loved the Boxer, in the Winter !

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I found a local (8 miles from my house) 2005 Ford GT with 28k miles in driver grade shape (it has minor needs that I am correcting) and paid $182k, which represents good value I think.

Very fun car to drive, but without any driver “aids” so it requires a high skill level.

John B likes this.
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Better than good value, fantastic value, a no brainer, deal to the century, and a great car..

Shark01 likes this.
  18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Thanks....considering repaired salvage title cars are selling for $240k in some cases, I feel good about it.....until I read Boxer threads, then I get a little wistful.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I woudnt give it a second thought. The Fgt is of the same mold as the boier, much faster, much better handling and modern reliable, but still stick and no nannies.
    Idealy we would have one of each, but if you had neither and had to pick one I think may would correctly make your choice.

If you want to add the old ferrari expereince, then at some point go for a great carbed 308GT4, same era, looks like stratos, theyre really good if you look up clkse, ghandini designed not as fast as a BB but you have the FGt for that. Im also a big 348 fan, maybe not the ebst styling but the later ones are really mechanicaly robust, and there no power steering.

FGT is keeper, youll never find that combo in anything else again, and with values rising youre in on the ground floor.

Shark01 likes this.
  20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Between the FGT and the Diablo Roadster, I’m out of garage space and the ceiling height of 9.5 ft won’t accommodate a lift, so I’m out of the “add a car” mode until retirement in 4-5 years when I want to buy something newer and carefree (812 GTS perhaps?). But even then I’ll have a decision to make on selling something or renting offsite storage.

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    A 9.5 ft ceiling can work, i make a 9.8 ceiling work, you just need two low cars.
    Offsite storage works also, but better for a track car.

22. tim bowles

tim bowles Karting

Mar 6, 2020
    gallatin tn
    Full Name:
    M Tim Bowles
    Honestly, from a performance standpoint, the bb is ahead of the Dino. But from a visual point of view, the 246 is one of the most gorgeous designs ever. I think it's nothing but up up and away for Dino's.

23. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

That’s probably the understatement of the year….”honestly from a performance standpoint, the BB is ahead of the Dino. “

That was good!

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Im of two minds aout Dino styling. On one had the cockpit area isagreat. But stylistacly its a car that harkens back to those front engined cars of a decade before its debut, so ti may be beautiful but its also uninteresting. Lest face it, the Dino is no muira which is a car thta embraced it layout and incorpated that into the styling.

The BB has a classic italian beauty amd line, its unmistakably a ferrari, but its not cribbing its major styling cues from the past.

25. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It’s a matter of opinion. Dino has a more vintage look. Some of the proportions look off to me, but I still love the design. The Boxer design is more modern feeling but also timeless and I prefer the lines and scale.

turbo-joe and boxerman like this.