Boxer Prices | FerrariChat

Boxer Prices

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ag512bbi, Jan 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I see in the Cavallino Magazine "price Guide" that the high for a 512BB is $560K??? Does that mean a car has actually sold for that? WTF! Any info on this car?
    What are the "ballpark" prices on the BB & BBI's. (What have cars ACTULLY sold for lately).

2. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Don't know about the 560k sale, but it wouldn't surprise me if a top car went for that much recently. The high water mark that I knew about for a BB was the less than 1k mile car that was sold for 473k at Monterey this year. FYI, that car needed some money put into it to bring it up to good driving condition since it sat for so many years. For BBi's, I would say solid drivers are now 300k plus. If you find something for 250k, chances are it is going to need a lot of money thrown at it. A good bench mark will be to see what the two BBi's sell for in Scottsdale over the next week or two.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I have no idea of whether or not the bbi's going for sale will represent the market for good to great cars? I have no idea of the cars real condition. I personally feel that the auction house has the cars expectations set quite low...there must be a reason for that.

4. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Agreed, condition is everything and can easily cause a 100 k difference in price. That being said, I think the estimate of 140 to 180k on the two BBi's coming up for auction is way low unless they need a total restoration. Moral of the story is it is almost impossible to get true comps on value unless you put your eyes on a car in person and evaluate it's condition - don't rely on photos and some dealer / auction companies description.

5. SFM5s159

SFM5s159 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Mike C
    RM has a 365 BB going in Arizona:

1974 Ferrari 365 GT4 BB by Scaglietti | Arizona 2015 | RM AUCTIONS

And also a 512 BB
    1979 Ferrari 512 BB | Arizona 2015 | RM AUCTIONS

One can't ever tell with auctions. Even if the car is suspect, sometimes ego enters into the equation and high prices are paid. The 512 looks pretty good here. Original interior looks a little dry in some areas, clean tidy engine bay.
    I'd think the 512 will bring $325k hammer price or more. But who knows!?

The new SCM price guide gives the BB a high value of $400k I think.

6. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    I can't imagine any decent, running 365 BB will go for less than $500 U.S.

512 BBs of both variants are a larger differential based on condition. An exceptional 512 could easily top $400k, but a beater less than $200k still. If I was a buyer that is how I would look at it. As/if BBs reach collector status, condition will be a smaller percentage of value and matter less.

I say hang on for the ride, I don't think this BB upward swing is over yet.

7. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I am torn between wanting the car to be worth a lot and ... "just enough."

If these gems go to USD300+ or more, that means I have to change my disposition about driving them around.

Of course, I think mine will be "The Driver Example" sold at $114,232.12. :)

8. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    +1

9. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Im pretty sure the drivers are hitting the $300k mark. There is an 83' with 800km on the market...entertaining offers north of $700k. I'm bummed because this means I won't be owning one any time soon.

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Ageed, I had a chance to buy a Boxer at sub-$130k price level and chose something else. While the reasons why I chose something else are still valid, it still hurts that I'll never have both on m Engineer's salary.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Look at it this way, for someone looking to buy an older ferrari and is in the 200-500k range what older ferrari is there, you can get a Dino boxer or 365 Gtc4., everyhting else has migrated north. In a few years the other stuff will be over 1 mill and boxers will be in the 5000-1mill range.

There is a reason why great 308 glass cars and TRs are occupying the 100-200k range, because Dinos and Boxers have mograted north of there.

Boxers are 300-500k cars this cyle and 5-10 years from now in the next cycle they will be touchign 1 mill.

12. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Two rolling across the block in AZ this weekend.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    anybody know what the auction cars went for?

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Prices sold for?

15. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Auctions start Thursday.

16. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Subscribed to this thread as I always wanted a boxer. Probably never going to happen, but I can wish right?

PDG

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

that is how it starts!!

18. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I'm still wishing a Daytona, don't give up, I haven't.

19. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

20. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Jack, that is a great question! "Collectible, Collector, etc" is bandied about, overused, and largely misunderstood. (often by those selling something that isn't, lol!)

This is my definition:

Generally, a coveted car whose performance is often trumped by how it looks, enjoys a standard of iconic/historical status, is broadly appreciated and not just by model enthusiasts, costs of restoring/maintaining are less of a component of market value, and was at the pinnacle of performance, luxury, quality, or status in the era the car was originally offered.

High price often accompanies collector status, but there is not a price that defines a collectible. A Model A is collectible, but a new Ferrari worth much more is not (with few exceptions)

I am curious how others would define it. As I read my own definition I can poke holes in it, such is the quirkiness of the term.

21. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Sensible explanation re "collector status"...while leaving the dollars out of the equation. Yet, as I mentioned, "our collective" does not seem to ascribe equal weighting (looks/performance/quality/era status) with tipping point being "price dependent".

Jack

22. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Nope, wont give up.

The 308 GTS was my dream car for years and I eventually got one - so I wont be giving up at all.

PDG

23. HansCH

HansCH Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    Zuerich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Hello there,

I would like to resurrect this tread.

What do you reckon are the prices currently being paid (not avertised) for a 512 Boxer ?

I'm looking at a European '83 BBI with 53' KM (33' miles) in Silver/Black with strong mechanics an good optics.
    Price is in negotiation - I should end up around 195' CHF/USD with all taxes paid in Switzerland.

Then I would need to invest about 20' to 25' CHF/USD for an engine out service, some mechanics and interieur details and bits and pieces. After that investment I should end up with a strong, reliable, good looking car.

So all in I'm looking at around 220' CHF/USD.

Buy or not?

Thanks for your opinions.

Best - Hans

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the car is still in CH or you have to bring it in? so then good luck with the MFK :)
    the price is about 190k euro. in mobile.de the cheapest BB512i just now is offered for nearly 210k, so I would say if all is ok withthis car it is a very good/low price

if you need help I´m located near basel, but on the german side and have also a BB 512

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I follow the market reasonably closely. A Good BBI is around 250k. A car with orig paint, perfect mechanicals lowish miles etc is in the 250-300k range. In the USA a 512 BB seems to be about 25K more on a like for like basis. 365's are in their own orbit.

Figure prices are 25% off from peak same as many other ferraris.

When the next classic car boom comes again(2-8 years), they will move up again. For want of better terminology Boxers entered collectable statues. Ie they were and are now being bought by most buyers for primarily for reasons other than driving.