Boxer Prices | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Boxer Prices

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ag512bbi, Jan 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HansCH

HansCH Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    Zuerich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Thanks for your replies.

If I look at cars advertised for sale in Switzerland I find the pricing considerably high.
    Check out this link:

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/autos/ferrari--512bb?make=25&model=2052&sort=price_asc&st=1&vehtyp=10

I can hardly imagine that cars change hand for this kind of money. If you deduct 25% to 35% you would be in the range proposed by boxerman.

What is also interesting is the number of cars for sale - e.g. in 'mobile.de' (German market with some other countries joining in) you'll find 52 cars for sale:
    Check out:

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=8600&makeModelVariant1.modelId=19&maxFirstRegistrationDate=1985-12-31&pageNumber=2&scopeId=C

Prices in this market start lower and reach a considerable level...there is quite a wide spanwidth.

It seems to me current pricing is very much down to negotiation/seller situation.
    Does anyone have current auction results available?

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    In general I think dealers are asking yesterdays/2014 prices. You see this with 308s and Trs too.
    Could be in Europe prices are higher.

My impression is that the BBs esp BBIs were driven far less in the USA and its possible to find really good ones here reasonably, ie orig paint not too many Kms.
    I woudl ask Newman who is a poster here.

As always unless a car has been recently gone over, expect to spend up to 20k on sorting if you plan on really drivign it . In my book besides a recent and proper eo belt change, very few BBs have had their suspension bushings redone and 30-40 years later they should be. Somewhere along the line all hoses will have rotted from the inside out, so if they were not done they should be. There are other questions like the rear diff carrier upgrade, which is optional as well as the sodium filled valves.

Figure it like this, in the USA you can probabaly buy an orig paint nice interior under 30k kms BBI for $275k ish. If you find a great car that has not had belts done recently then a little less, and thats a good way to go, because then you'll have the work done to a proper as opposed to reasale standard. Figure then on spending 10-15k for through EO hoses radiatoir redo etc, if you want to do suspension rebuild shocks brakesetc rear diff carrier and a few other figure anotehr 10K, so 25k maybe 30k overall for a perfectly running and sorted BBI that you can enjoy for decades. Remember these are 30-40 yo cars, no matter how nice the cosmetics if mechanical things have not been redone they probably should be if they are to be driven with vigor..

In other words you can do a perfect driving orig paint lowish miles mechanicaly robust BBi for around 300k all in, or an equaly nice looking car, that runs and will drive sort of ok for 250-275k.

As always pay a little extra and take the time to buy a good one, beacuse cars with issues are false economy in the long run.

In the long run heres what I see. BBs were stuck below 100k for almost 2 decades, then they became collectable. We have seen peak BBI prices on 10k kms cars that needded some work a little north of 400k in 2014. Next swing around of the car market a BBi is a 500K+ car.
    Not just because they are now "collectable" whatever that means(every serious ferrari collection today has one) but also because of where a BB sits in the pantheon of great ferraris.

No one today is buying a F40 or 288 for its cutting edge performance, the newer cars have eclipsed that, these cars are bought for looks and relative driving experince.. A BBI for a fraction of the rpice offers the same or similar ferrari experience to a 288 is arguably better lookign if less rare. So if you dont have 3 million and want a classic mid engiend ferrari, after the 288/f40 the BBi is the next stop. Its also the last of them designed with no eye to legislative needs. In other words a pure ferrari.

Now I love Daytonas, but in the modern world these are hard cars to use. as they are continet crsuhers needing large swaths of unrestricted untraffiked roads to run at speed where they make sense. A BB well its at home on moutains, twisties etc and can in BBi form can easily cope with traffic. In other words its a useable, and relevant classic ferrari for driving.

HansCH likes this.
  3. HansCH

HansCH Rookie

Mar 12, 2008
    Zuerich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Thanks Sean for your considerate thoughts.
    These are helpful indeed - I will be researching the car in question early next week and enter negotiations if I like what I see.
    I'll keep you posted about how that goes.

4. abo78

abo78 Karting

Sep 5, 2008
    Denmark
    Thanks for all the good insights and thoughts..

Is anybody aware of the current level for 365 GT4/BB´s on the European market?

of2worlds likes this.