Boxer running light wiring | FerrariChat

Boxer running light wiring

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by charliek, Dec 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Seeing all those pictures of Boxers with the running lights made me crazy. I pulled of my front lower valence today to see if it had them. Lo and behold I find that someone closed the openings by riviting plates over them and filling them with some kind of rock hard epoxy. I will kill myself cleaning them out and wonder if it is worth the effort. The other thing is I cant find any wires that would appear to have gone to these lights. Does anyone know where they would come from? I guess even if I know how they are turned on I could route some wires. i bought the running lights and I see I have project ahead. Thanks

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    What do you mean by running lights? Are these the "fog" lights, in the lower part of the bumper? Or are these the white lights in the leading edge of the bumper?....one on each side

3. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    these are the small lights in the bumper itself, above the fog lights on both sides

4. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    OK. I have seen pictures of cars with, and without, these........mine has these.

These turn on when one turns the light switch stalk to the first position. With these on, the tail lights also light up.

5. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop

Thanks Henry, now I have to decide if I want to go crazy removing the epoxy someone filled them in with and risk messing up the bumper/valence.Hmmm.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, the BB512i does not have fog lights. Those lights that look like fog lights are passing lights and only come on when you pull the left stalk to pass. They do not stay on. Just like when you do that with your high beams on non-BB512i cars. The small rectagular white lights are running lights.

7. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Frank,
    Do you know how the running lights were originally wired? Thanks

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Charliek, the small rectangular white running lights on the front of a BB512i are wired to come on anytime the tail lights are on.

9. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Might be a wiring diagram in the back ofyour owners manual

10. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I can confirm what Frank has said.

The clear "running/parking lights" in the front bumper come on along with the rear running lights when the stalk is in the first position. The "fog light" switch on the console is supposed to control only the rear red fog lights. The front clear "fog lights" are really just daytime flashing lights for passing.

The previous owner of my car had the front flashing lights rewired to turn on along with the rear switched fog lights. My front "fogs" will also now automatically turn off, when the high beam headlights are selected. None of the fogs will come on, unless the main headlights are also on.

I kinda like this wiring set up, it allows me to use the 55-watt Cibie "fog lights," if I need them.

Here's a picture of the lights in question on my car:

11. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop

Thanks all,
    tonight I opened the hole up on one side for the running light. What a headache. I dont know what the stuff is that they closed the hole up with, but if the whole car was made of it you could throw it off a cliff and it wouldnt even chip. I had to use a jigsaw and hammer a chisel to break it out. The next side should only take me 3 hours to do. I know I will have to do some patching also since it is a little rough. Then I will have to tackle figuring out the wiring. Then off to the paint shop to have the valence redone. What fun.

12. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    Charlie,

I have a BB512i service manual. Send me a fax number and I will copy the wiring schematics and fax them down.

Joel