Boxer sin? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Boxer sin?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by johnvwatts, Feb 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i am a fan of boxers in the non traditional colors as well. i like the marrone but do feel some love for red also (mine is red).

but i think geno's car in blue should make us all believers!!!

pcb

2. johnvwatts

johnvwatts Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    #27 johnvwatts, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Strange thing is I actually saw this car at the Cartier Concours at the Goodwood Festival of Speed before I bought it. Initially I didn't realise it was a Ferrari until I saw the badge on the bonnet (I had a few over lunch). Does anyone have a photo ? I thought it looked unusual in that colour rather than stunning.

When I first bought the car I asked various friends opinions and my wife and the view was you got to change the colour which I was thinking myself.

I'm still not sure whether I did the right thing or not . Since then I bought another Boxer a 512BB which is red (originally white but went to retail red in 1982). As such I am now reqretting painting the 365 as now I've got two the same colour and was possibly thinking of changing it back. But I have to say I think the car does look better in red so I'm abit mixed up on this one.

Couple more shots before and after (forgot to say the exhaust is an after mkt larini stainless with only four rear pipes which the previous owner fitted . Am getting altered to be six tailpipes. No good for concourse but it sounds fab and spits flames. Rest of the car is original 26,000 miles. )
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    You could change your 512 back to white for variety (and rareness)...

I find it refreshing to see exotic cars in non-exotic colors.

CC

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

don't second guess yourself...she looks fantastic!!!! i only want you to look into fixing the grill on the far left side of the car(as you face it) as it looks a bit crooked and would drive me a bit batty!!

but seriously, please have no regrets as a rosso corsa boxer is truly a sexy but naughty girl!!!

best,

pcb

5. 512bbnevada

512bbnevada Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2007
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    Biff
    I wouldn't go back to brown, maybe a blue or green possibly dark grey

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #31 Newman, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
    Mario Pano's BBi looks amazing in white and the aftermarket wheels are part of the equation. I dont think it would look as sharp with TRX's or on a stock looking BB. If I owned an original brown boxer it would never be brown as long as I owned it. You might regret going red but I dont think you should regret changing from brown. If it bugs you to no end then paint it another colour other than brown or sell it and buy another. I always look at any car I have and consider resale because you never know what life throws at you. Its easy to say ill never sell it but things change. When i repainted my 308 I veered away from the original Grigio because it didnt suit the car, silver yes, dark grey no. I though why repaint this car at great expensed to make it less valuable than if I chose another colour that I like as well as the next guy. If the car was originally dark blue or some oddball green colour originally then yes you made an error. Brown just doesnt suit a ferrari IMO. Would a brown 250GTO look cool? How about a brown TDF, no thanks. Paint the BBi white, that might make you happy.

I need murph to show us a brown GTO and TDF.

7. johnvwatts

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    #32 johnvwatts, Feb 23, 2009
    I think your post echos my original thoughts Paul - I just could 't image a brown Ferrari. I'm not unhappy with the red , just wondering if I did the right thing. I wouldn't have colour change it if it was another colour eg blue that I liked. Anyhow, I've just been to look at it in the garage and have decided that its staying red as it does suit the shapes on the car.

Don't want to sell this one as have spent £££ on the mechanicals ie heads off new (non sodium) exhaust valves and all guides , new crown wheel and pinnion,new diif carrier, clutch ,air con rebuild etc. These cars are still rare and most haven't had that level of mechanicals done.

Have seen a few Marrone Ferraris - the ex steve mcqueen lusso springs to mind. I didn't think that looked that good in that colour either......but if your Mcqueen I guess even brown looks good.

But turning the 512BB to white - thats one to think about!

Weather still good here so will defo get one out for a burn this week. Pics to follow! (Onno if you go to any of the Ferrari UK dos this year pm me well meet up).

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I was just thinking if your biggest problem is you have 2 red boxers I dont feel sorry for you anymore. I only have one boxer, I wish I had your problems!

P.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    It is a sin to paint any non red car red, at this point it is beyond cliche. Yes your car does look better in red than turd brown, but surely there are other options.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The lines of the Boxer looks much better in Marrone than in Red IMHO. The Marrone says class whereas the Red say brash. FYI, various shades of brown/tan were very popular in Ferrari from the 50s...

11. 512bbnevada

BANNED

Aug 22, 2007
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    Biff
    #36 512bbnevada, Feb 23, 2009
    i wouldnt buy a car with the intent of changing its color. if i didnt like the color i would pass. if it was so cheap that a complete strip made sense thats a different story but it would be done right with no signs of the original color anywhere.The OP mentioned you can still see brown in spots which IMO even though its red now causes a negative impact on value as now the car needs to be completely stripped to be done right, paint brown over it now you'll see red paint if its chipped or scratched.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Then you would have to strip the chassis too because under the black frame paint is the original colour of the car.

13. 512bbnevada

BANNED

Aug 22, 2007
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    Biff
    That's what they did with my car its red everywhere to the metal. I am sure it wasn't cheap

14. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #39 willrace, Feb 23, 2009
    What?? No love for the White, sportin' TRXs???? Looks just fine to me. I may be a bit biased, tho. :D
    It was one of the few colors I searched for. . . . . . . . Yeah, I need to shoot some new pics.

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Your car looks great I just really love Marios wheels on a white boxer. Im a little cranky about the TRX's lately, tire prices keep going up at coker and the tires just suck.

16. johnvwatts

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    #41 johnvwatts, Feb 23, 2009
    I didn't buy it with the intention of colour changing it - had it for abit before I did so . Just couldn't live with it. You can't see any of the original colour on the exterior - it was when I removed the door panel I could see abit inside. It was a good paint job. No one would ever know without stripping the car down. Doors were off when painted but I guess I noticed as I was looking for brown. Could get these bits inside of the door touched up I suppose but its minor. As Paul said brown would affect value more (assuming a good red respray) although that wasn't why I did it - just not sure about the brown.

I can understand theose who like it though - it is much less obvious and showy - red is abit look at me, but then it is a Ferrari and the red does suit the Boxer shape whereas not all Ferraris look good in Red. 550 Maranello's look much better in silver/blue /black. Don't really like 275GTB's in red either. That 512 looks really cool in white though!

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #42 Newman, Feb 23, 2009
  18. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    #43 Modeler, Feb 23, 2009
    No doubt each car is a bit of an individual. Those white ones look great but have seen white with blue interior and couldn't live with it.

Your car. Burn it if you want.
    Just don't get in your cups and bang on about being any kind of custodian.

Suspect the real moral is to get the right car for you.
    JohnVWatts was close to the right guy for a unique car that I hope is one day returned to original.

It polarised opinion but certainly draws attention with an audience thats seen many red boxers.

Not my dream boxer, thats silver, but a car that draws attention among the knowledgeable at a Ferrari gathering, can generate 3 pages of discussion here, yet goes un-noticed by joe blow in the street has a lot going for it.

So you sinned, no doubt, but let he without etc. You weren't the first and won't be the last.
    If you could cut down boxers to make SWB or GTO replicas there'd be none left.

Funny how its the colour of the other bits that makes a white car or kills it, the interior and wheels.

caveat - its just my opinion, nothing more.

19. 512bbnevada

BANNED

Aug 22, 2007
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    Biff
    I am not a fan of aftermarket wheels on BBs makes them look confused if they are new or old, that white BBi with the wheels looks like an extra from Miami Vice, take off your socks put on the teal jacket you are set.

20. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #45 geno berns, Feb 23, 2009
  21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The rosso corsa 300 is a great colour, I love how mine glows in the sun. I love the blue on your 365 Geno, that would be my favourite on a boxer or a 308, its a great colour.

22. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #47 JazzyO, Feb 24, 2009
    I agree. My 550 is dark blue metallic and my 365BB is red. If it was the other way around the overall impression would be less pretty in my book. Still, I think the Boxer will become blue at some stage as it was it's original colour.

As Geno says, the Boxer looks great in many colours. I like it in black, red, blue, yellow, Clint Eastwood's Grigio, and even the Maronne looks good. Let's face it - Fioravanti did a decent job on this design!

Onno

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    My family had a white Boxer with black Boxer trim & tan interior way back in the early 80's. I'll have to go back and see if i had any pictures of it.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    What wheels and tires are on the white boxer. Unlike so many it sits right, perhaps some suspension adjustments too?

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its Mario Pano's car. I forget the brand of wheels but the suspension I know has been tinkered with. Looks great.