Boxer transaxle fluid? | FerrariChat

Boxer transaxle fluid?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by parkerfe, Feb 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    What's everyone using these days? I just changed my oil with Castrol TWS 10w60 and UFI filters and thought I would go ahead and change the transaxle fluid too...any suggestions?

2. gtbastian

gtbastian Rookie

Jan 6, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    Tom Bastian
    From what I have read on other threads, most recommend Redline 75W90 NS. This does not have the friction modifiers of the regular 75W90 and makes the second gear cold shift better. The friction modifiers of the non-NS are supposed to make the LSD work better, but when the same oil services both the diff and the synchros, compromises need to be made. I am overdue for a gear oil change, and am thinking about trying the non-NS, as the gearbox is never REALLY cold here in Tucson.
    Any comments from other Boxer/TR owners who have tried both?

Tom

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    How much fluid does the transaxle hold? I was planning to buy some on the way home from work and forgot my OM which list the fluid capacities...

4. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    I've been using Royal Purple in my 365bb for at least 8 years....Shifts great hot and cold. I was so impresed with it that I now run it in my BMW M3, which used to shift like a dump truck when the gearbox was cold. RP is safe for use with "Yellow Metals" which are present in the BB gearbox...No differential chatter, ever...and I don't use any "snake oil" additives, either.

75-90 MaxGear
    10 qts.+ for a BBi, Frank

Your mileage may vary...
    David