Boxers are undervalued | FerrariChat

Boxers are undervalued

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ross, Dec 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the whole line up.
    they should be double what they are today.

change my mind......

PAP 348, Bknblk and turbo-joe like this.
  2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    No argument here ..one of my favorite Ferrari s .. cane close buying one for the low 80s less than 10 years ago ..always felt i missed the boat

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    so why is this the current case?
    is it because many/most people do not see the strong points of the bb?
    or is the rehab cost (in case its needed) just too daunting?
    or is the car too hard for most casual enthusiasts?

is say this because i am constantly puzzled by the popularity, and price level, of the dino.
    great car, fun, and iconic shape.
    but, cost just as much to bring back to 100, and then is just underpowered and soft.

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I think not being officially sold in the USA hurt its initial exposure, there is little nostalgia factor

It does look more than a bit like a 308

The styling is beautiful but understated compared to its rival, the Countach.

I don't get the appeal of Dinos compared to their pricing either.

F2003-GA and amust like this.
  5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Ross,

I would slightly change your thread title to "Boxers are Significantly undervalued" :)

I, like others, also agree with you. The market looks to be fickle and so it is drawn to what it likes and for some reason the Boxer is not currently included. It is certainly odd, as there are so many reasons why the Boxer should be valued in the same league as the Dino and yet it is not: Boxers were the flag ship of Ferrari, they were made in much less quantities, and is a significantly better car from a technical standpoint... and yet they are ignored. I think shark's comments are correct in that the Boxer is not distinctive enough compared to a 308 or a Countach. I believe that most of today's buyers want something that "looks" quite different, and since the 308 shape is broadly known and recognized and that the Boxer shares similar lines, that it does not visually excite the buyers in the same ways as a Dino, Countach, etc. This is really unfortunate, as if these same buyers would actually drive the cars they would truly realize that the Boxer is in a league of its own compared to others. I guess to some the issue with the Boxer is that it is not "in your face enough" as much as other cars and so it is off the radar to most.

Cheers,

Sam

AHudson and 2dinos like this.
  6. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree with you (biased ), I have found most regular folks do like the car. I get a lot of thumbs up and remarks on my “cool Pontiac Fiero” .

7. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The 308s and 328s are closing in on the TRs and soon the Boxers. Market smoking hot, boxers asking $200k and not selling, market soft $200k asking for Boxers and not selling. 308/328 $75-$100k all day long when they were just $20-$40k not too long ago. Go figure

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I believe the Boxer will increase in popularity and value over time and one of main reasons are its similarity with the 308 with respect to the exterior design. The 308 shape has matured over the last 10 to 15 years and is just getting more and more popular and sought after especially among the younger audience that can afford it. The same will happen with the BB but in slower pace since the price range is significant higher than 308's.

Slightly biased though, Best Peter

9. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just like with muscle cars - the people who appreciate them the most are dying.

kartboy1234 likes this.
  10. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Agree. Both Boxer and TR are well below market value. Has more to do with perception by others. Both are exceptional and deserve increased values.

11. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yea right....thats why dino's are shooting the moon right?

sorry, try again.

12. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yea, i love my 512tr. fantastic car.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #14 turbo-joe, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    I wonder: in the description it says:

ORIGINAL CALIFORNIA CAR DELIVERED NEW

I always thaught they are never delivered to the US in new?

also:

COMPLETE SERVICE LESS THAN 800 MILES AGO

but how many years ago???

and: Options Include:

all those options have been standard for the BBi

so very bad information published :(

yellow fog lights and white turnsignals in the front - should be a french car

have a look at the leather around the ignition switch - and only 5.534 miles ? ? ? I doubt ! ! !

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I believe the Boxers are the last hand worked (panel beaten bodies over wood formers) after the Daytona. You can see the evidence of the folded sheet metal over the frame in several places. Also, the construction of the frame and suspension... What a machine! And the raw beauty. I love the connection of BB to Bridget Bardot. Not many if any other cars ever made have a tie like that. Hmmmmmm? They knew it was a supermodel from the beginning. I love the Dinos & 308's classic beauty, and I appreciate the Countach aggressive futuristic design, but I've always been drawn to and just stare and admire the perfect curves of Boxers. Beautiful from every angle.
    (i.m.h.o.):rolleyes:

John B, pshoejberg and ross like this.
  15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes, the bb is the last hand formed ferrari.

16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I love the 206/246 Dino but believe that they are fully priced, if not a bit overpriced. BB512s selling for half that of Ford GTs is absurd IMO. The market speaks.

Island Time and turbo-joe like this.
  17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    It isn't absurd at all when one considers the demand side of the equation. The Ford GT is like the halo car for every Ford guy in the USA...which vastly outnumbers the Ferrari customers for a model that was not officially marketed here and followed an iconic V-12 Daytona.

But the Ford GT has been one of the primary beneficiaries of the "everything is going up" movement, although the fast rise started in Nov 2019.

The FGT and a Boxer were my final two choices when I was shopping at the end of 2019....and one of the issues was I couldn't find a Boxer I could afford. They were all at least $240k or so and those at the lower end seemed to need $30k of work (I posted a thread about this). So I bought a Ford GT with miles in a driver grade condition for $182k and love the hell out of it so the decision was the right one for me.

18. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    They made a lot of Boxers both 512 carbed and injected cars. I put the 365BB in a different category.

To me they are like the F40 in the supercar category. Its undervalued for what it is but Ferrari made 1,300 not 500.

I will say the 512BB has been my favorite car to drive and out of maybe 10 I have owned and visually it is a nice pure design.

19. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Dinos have achieved legend status like old Shelby mustangs or yenko Camaros. They'll continue to gain value because of their perception within pop culture. When most people see boxers they think 308s... Yes a Ferrari but not a legend in pop culture.

20. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    If you want a car in between classics and modern cars with a V12 in the middle, you can get a Diablo for just a bit more. I think that holds down the BB prices because they built a ton of Diablos. I see those two more as cross-shop competitors than their direct contemporaries because I think their styling appeals to a similar taste.

21. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    No matter how beautiful a car is (and boxers are that), people still want to be able to drive their cars.

boxers just have a certain look of a car that screams “maintenance nightmare”

boxerman likes this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    2,800 total Diablos isn't really alot at all......and several desirable variants have production numbers less than 500. The standard 2WD and AWD cars make up the majority of the run.

I own a Diablo Roadster and can vouch they are amazing....getting that same mid-engine V-12, gated manual transmission, and removable top in a Ferrari would be a couple million dollars. On a beautiful day, a top off cruise in a Diablo cannot be equaled.

One thing they have in common with Boxers is they haven't increased in price to the same degree others have....so there are deals to be had.

Dewinator likes this.
  23. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well that is an opinion......

my own anecdotal evidence is that AFTER the initial overhaul that cost a significant amount to catch up on all the deferred maintenance......it has cost me very little over the last 10 years.

these cars are solid, and there is very little to go wrong with it since it is just mechanical, and not electrical....

24. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok. that is the numbers argument....

they made roughly 350 365 bb, another approx 980 512bb's and 1009 512 bbi's. for a total of approx 2350 bb's
    they made a total of approx 3700 dinos.....