Boxers are undervalued | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Boxers are undervalued

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ross, Dec 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #26 cnpapa24, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    The argument that the price is held back because it “looks like a 308” is silly; see the 288 GTO to squash that argument. Also see the price of any special 911 vs a base 911. In person there is little similarity between the 308 and the Boxer. Same bloodline, yes but not close to the same car. Most Boxers on the market have needs. As more and more cars get restored the prices will follow; as seen with the Countach, Miuras, Dinos, Daytonas, etc.

Boomhauer, 375+, boxerman and 4 others like this.
  2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I believe its the 12 cyl thing. Just look at that huge magnificent engine in or out of the car and it screams $$$$.Although in reality probably not that scary to maintain.

The Boxers are likely on the radar of guys who actually want to drive their cars and can stretch to the purchase but balk at the potential engine servicing costs etc .

A little Dino appears something easier to maintain etc although of course they can eat big $$ too,so they have moved up a notch into collector items and seldom allowed out in the wild.

Boxers will eventually move up into the Daytona levels etc ..bought by wealthy collectors and tucked away as investments.

Would I like one ? hell yes!

shashi27, 2dinos and ross like this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    and I´m happy to have one :) :) :)

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  4. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Rebuild the water pump on a Dino. You feel like a master craftsman. There's soo many ways to do it wrong, ruin parts in the process etc. You must check carefully runout, flatness, relative position. Very careful application of heat. It's kind of a tough job. I enjoy the challenge, but got to be in the right mood to get into it! By contrast, the 308 & 512 are very pure machinery (make everything clean and straight on asembly - voilla). The generous use of magnesium parts on the Dino can be quite expensive and time consuming to deal with. The precious coatings can only be done by a limited few shops. The chemicals are extra hazardous. One of the last companies I used which performed the proper mil-spec procedures stopped doing it because a container of one horrendous substance in the recipe cost $500 to purchase, and $5,000 to dispose of which gets passed on to the customer (And these numbers are from 10+ years ago).

If you think about it, this may be a portion of why the little Dino costs what it does for resto. The 308 is a lot of car with much mechanical finesse. The Boxer is similar but more of it. (i.m.h.o.)

ross and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  5. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara

To me the Dino is an Enzo era car; chrome on the outside and vintage gauges. The Boxer is a Fiat era car; mate fiberglass bottom, plastic gauges. I think the Dino gets the premium being associated with the earlier cars.

I traded my Dino in on a Boxer years ago though and have never looked back. In fact I'd take it over my F40 because I can use the power whereas the F40 can be a handful if you have the guts. And at my age I don't anymore. :)

AHudson, ross and Island Time like this.
  6. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    They only made about 270 288 GTOs. That's well within the number of people who know what it is and its value, world-wide. Also, the Boxer wasn't sold in the USA, so people like me didn't grow up with them on their walls as kids, not to the extent of the Countach, TR, and 308s.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
  8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A very smart economist once taught me "The market is never wrong". I tend to agree.

Put another way. I cannot understand why diamonds are worth so much outside industrial needs. To me they are worthless broken glass (pearls before swine I guess). Others value them highly so it reaches a point of equilibrium between the two extremes of demand. I suspect the BB is in that same situation.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Boxers were indeed sold in the USA. My dealer sold more new Boxers world wide than any other. We got an award from Ferrari stating so. Not sure of the numbers but it would not surprise me to learn there were more here than in Europe.

moysiuan and George Vosburgh like this.
  10. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I had posters of a cutaway of the 288, and a cool Boxer.

Wayy back when car shows were manufacturers showing their newest efforts and not food court offerings from local dealerships, I recall up on turntables and roped off: the Bertone Rainbow, some incredible 1-off Lancia, and a 308 GTS

Mark Blanchard likes this.
  11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    1980308gtsi likes this.
  12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Markets often under or over value things and correct over time.

wlanast likes this.
  13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Nobody other than other hard core Ferrari people even know what my BB is. It is most commonly considered to be a 308 (someone once said the reason it looked different from a 'normal' 308 is because it it is the rare hardtop version of a 308). Others think it is a Pantera. N0t that I care, but it may be one reason the market is not as big as you think.

In comparison, a Countach is a personal parade float. You would think that Lamborghini made a million of them. Everyone knows what it is, wants to chat, and has a story to tell.

Mark Blanchard, ralfabco and Shark01 like this.
  14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Very true but now, right now the value is correct because it is set by the market.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And many people have mistaken a 330 Spider for a Fiat 124 Spider but that has not hurt the value of the 330.

2dinos and cnpapa24 like this.
  16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Joe, one of the dealers I worked at sold more BBs than any other dealer world wide. Ferrari of North America never sought to have a US version to sell but as a dealer we were entitled to buy any Ferrari made and in the case of BB's, 400-412, and 288 we did. I have never seen numbers but so many BB's came here new I would not be surprised if more were in the US than in Europe.

turbo-joe likes this.
  18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    vincenzo likes this.
  19. Carl A

Carl A Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 11, 2021
    Surrey U.K.
    Full Name:
    Carl Abernethy
    Very interesting, I am considering both and the more I look I'm leaning towards the Boxer.

Personally, I fell in love with it playing with one of these pieces of card ... Wow....

Attached Files:

20. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Who recognizes the 365/512 BB/i and or knows what it is doesn't matter to me. I know what it is. I've been asked, "Is my 308 is a kit car?:p Doesn't bother me. I've been told, "Dino's aren't Ferrari's". Ok...

I still love to look at it and admire the beautiful sculpture and open the hood and admire the beautiful sculpture. I also love to drive it and appreciate and respect the machinery. Preferably on roads that are uncrowded where no one else is even there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I know this what you write brian, but I wonder:
    it says ORIGINAL CALIFORNIA CAR DELIVERED NEW
    and this I think cannot be true. even at that time california had then strict emission laws so it can not be an original cal. car, may be a converted cal. car? and there are not even the front and rear sidemarkers on
    as I have written already: for me it seems like a french car

22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the words may be slightly misleading.

my own car went straight from the factory to Amerispec in the usa, ON BEHALF of the first owner, Skip Braver, who had bought the car.
    Amerispec received it, did the conversion for homologation, got it approved, and then delivered it to Braver.

so although technically the car was not delivered to Braver through a dealer, it was delivered 'new'.
    california has had different rules and regs, 'carb', since 1973 or so, in which case the homologator, like Amerispec, will have converted the car to meet federal AND california specs, prior to approval and delivery.

in my case, the car remained in the usa until the mid 90's or so, when it was bought by an italian and repatriated to Italy, where some of the homologation changes were removed/reversed, and the car was put back to Euro spec (although the Amerispec homologations were the least intrusive or ugly so there was not that much to do). then i bought it in Switzerland in 2009. ran it there for 10 years, and then i brought it to the usa (unfortunately it had stayed beyond the requisite time limit so i had to pay import fees again).

so i now have a car in America, that looks like a Eurospec car, but still has the Amerispec homologation sticker, paperwork, and actual work (the bars in the doors for example).
    it was an "ORIGINAL ILLINOIS CAR DELIVERED NEW', but has had an exciting jet-set life since then. :)

turbo-joe likes this.
  23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    ross, does you car have the front and rear sidemarkers?
    this car offered does not have them, that is why I wonder so much about the statement: ORIGINAL CALIFORNIA CAR DELIVERED NEW

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You are suffering from a language barrier. In this case original does not mean it is in original condition. It means it was originally sold in California when new.

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    brian, was this BBi registered then in california first? if so how could it get registered with the missing sidemarkers?
    I understand under ORIGINAL CALIFORNIA CAR DELIVERED NEW that this car has been an original california car delivered so from the factory in italy. and as I know F never made a 512 BBi special for california. so there is never an original californian 512 BBi, only a "normal" new 512 BBi delivered and sold for the first time in califonia. those facts are 2 different pair of shoes.
    for 1st example: some F cars produced for switzerland had an other gearbox ratio because of the noise emissions. and those cars then have been ORIGINAL SWISS CARS.
    for 2nd example: a french car at that time had yellow headlights, may be also the swiss cars? this I cannot say. but those with yellow headlights have been ORIGINAL FRENCH CARS.
    I don´t think it is a language barrier, it is only what I and also some friends of mine understand.