Boyd Coddington....dead. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Boyd Coddington....dead.

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by SSNISTR, Feb 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    +1

there is another thread in off topic on this... (RIP)

2. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
  3. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    So were most Ferrari 308s right from the factory. Fact is the motoring world lost somebody who at least at one time was pretty gifted and passionate. RIP

4. Really sad.Over on a Pantera board, they said he was working on a car, it slipped out of gear & rolled over his neck, killing him instantly. RIP Boyd.

5. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyd_Coddington

Liver failure?

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    When I saw the thread title I thought the same thing, Boyd was set off by some of the smallest things. He also acted like this in public as well, I spoke to a vendor of his that knew him from the Good Guys tour so it was never just an act for his show.

R.I.P.

7. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Amen! Thought it was just another OCC knock off with less cursing! The american muscle car community surely had lost a great and valuable icon.

8. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    What??!!? That is insane

9. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Like most women in South Beach, and Hollywood.

10. xtrmesaleen

xtrmesaleen Karting

Apr 7, 2006
    I'm with those that think stress contributed to his early demise. Just observing him on American Hot Rod, realizing some of his act was just for the show or edited to portray an image, I suspect much of what was seen was really Boyd. Observing how he interacted with his family (his son, ex-wife and current wife all worked with him) and reacted to situations in day-to-day business with current employees, past employees, projects, deadlines, etc. each decision and situation that confronted him seemed to take heavy toll on him; he had the attitude that each event was testing his ability to respond, and I'm not sure he was ever satisfied with his own responses. His animosity toward Foose and the employees that left to work for him probably weighed on him the most. However, his passion for hot rods was undeniable and he will be missed. My condolences to all who knew him.

11. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    So, what was the deal with him and chip foose? I know foose worked for him at one point and then they had a falling out but over what i have no idea. Anyone care to shed some light?

12. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Chip left Boyd years ago....2 of Boyd's best employees also left and went to work for Chip...

13. xtrmesaleen

xtrmesaleen Karting

Apr 7, 2006
    I'd like to know the whole story as well since Boyd wouldn't elaborate on his show. I'm not on either side of this one, but here's what I've been able determine:

Boyd hired Chip as a designer and he was responsible for many of the cutting-edge designs coming out of Coddington's shop. However, Chip was getting tired of Boyd's name on each product with little or no public recognition. Then came the fall-out (over a potential partnership deal gone bad or Boyd's unwillingness to credit Chip's designs, I don't know). Chip left to start his own company taking a few of Boyd's employees with him initially and then continued to siphon off a few over the years. Boyd took this very personal as he had opened his heart, home and business to a rising young star only to see him walk away and become a competitor. He felt deceived by Chip and thought this was his plan all along. Coddington's wheel business was hit hardest and he recently sold his name to American Racing.

I'm sure there's more to it, but in any business where a former employee emerges as a competitor there's ill-will. Boyd just refused to let it go.

14. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Speaking of death's, is it true Boyd lost 1 of his workers to cancer some years ago? Guy named Roy?

15. xtrmesaleen

xtrmesaleen Karting

Apr 7, 2006
    Yes, Roy Schmidt died of cancer a few years ago. He was a metal fabricator. I recall in an episode Roy saying he operated his own small hot rod shop when Boyd convinced him in the late 70s (?) to work for him. He tried to retire a few times, but he kept coming back.

16. group77racing

group77racing Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Often Imitated
    Full Name:
    Never Duplicated
    Yeah, I miss 'ol Roy.

17. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    With all the drama and arbitrary deadlines for everything it's surprising that anyone worked there at all.

18. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I dunno of this is accurate but, I was watching one of those Jesse James Discovery channel specials and it mentioned that he too got his start working for Boyd? Coddington's Aluma Coupe was one of my favs.

19. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I think that might be kind of a stretch... and an insult to Chip. True talent shines and I'm sure Chip would have been successful even without Boyd.

20. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    That's what I was thinking.

21. AKain

AKain Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    N. Park/Roscoe, IL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    he was an originator, that is true. RIP.

22. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    No tears shed on him, he was a nasty individual who treated his workers poorly and allowed a terrible dynamic to exist in his shop. Just because he built nice cars(questionable) doesnt make him a great loss. A persons value extends far past a few cars that they built.

23. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I doubt that's true. I think he had been suffering with something for a while.
    I don't think anyone knows the true story, but I'm willing to bet Chip just wanted to venture out on his own. He didn't just screw over Boyd. Instead of wishing Chip the best and trying to stay friends he took it as an insult. Foose just doesn't seem like a guy who's going to do something to backstab someone. It was obvious that he felt anyone who left his side was spiting him. My guess is Chip and anyone else who broke paths with Boyd will be at the funeral.
    I don't remember hearing that. I thought Jesse James learned most of his talent on his own. I believe his grandfather or dad taught him how to weld. And I thought he began out of his own garage. I couldn't see the two working together.
    Yea, Chip owes nothing in terms of his skill to Boyd. If I'm not mistaken, Chip learned everything from his dad? The one thing he does owe to Boyd, is how NOT to treat people and run a business.

24. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    True, maybe, but Boyd got him his start in the biz. That's a big thing....you gotta start somewhere.

25. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Boyd did not open his heart, home and business to a wayward designer, he recruited Chip away from Ford when he was working for J Mays. Boyd did not give Chip his big opening in anyway. Chip was a graduate of the Art Center College of Design and had already made a positive reputation for himself. Boyd grabbed Chip's talents for his own means. Hot Rod's By Boyd went bankrupt soon after Boyd gave Chip the title of President, so Chip was sort of forced to go out on his own. Maybe Boyd felt Chip brought the company to bankruptcy, although the company was already on its way there before Chip recieved the President title, and Boyd still maintained most of the control over the finances of the company at that point.

I can't judge Boyd as a person, I only met him twice at a SEMA reception and a car show, TV does not tell the whole truth of a person's being. I can judge the early work that Boyd did on his own, and it was fantastic and brought HotRoding back to the forefront after it languished in purgatory for the late 70's and 80's. His later work was not so much his, as those that he hired and appears to have harrased. He turned into a businessman, and had successes and failures. His early work can stand on its own and in and of itself is a fitting eulogy.