Boyd Coddington....dead. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Boyd Coddington....dead.

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by SSNISTR, Feb 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Who here really thinks the deadlines for the show were real deadlines? Since there were cars from past seasons in the background of current builds I think the talk of dealines were for drama on the tv show. I can't believe this many people believe everything they see on tv.

2. FriscoRays

FriscoRays Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2005
    Foolish viewers, such as myself, might have believed the deadlines were real because of all of the footage in the shows of employees complaining about having to work weekends and skip long-scheduled vacations in order to complete cars. Perhaps the cars returned soon after delivery to correct problems which can occur when things that take time to do properly are rushed to completion by tired, frustrated and abused employees. Or perhaps not. Who knows.

3. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Exactly yes.

I read the whole thread and was about to say the same thing, then found your post as the last one.

The whole reality-TV schtick is based on conflict, scandal, *****y people, deadlines, strife, confusion, discord, emotional outbursts.... most of those shows are really all the same; just pick your subject. And much of it is contrived and obviously transparent. There isn't much reality to a lot of it.

After a while it becomes tiresome to watch, at least to me. I stopped watching shows like that because they're surrogate life-involvements when I have my own dramas that fill my plate. If I've had a good day, I don't want to have the perception that I'm eavesdropping on some downer pressure-cooker sweat shop. And if I've had a bad day, the same applies. It just enhances the negativity.

And were it not for Kat Von D being hot, I'd have no measure of interest in her LA Ink show because if you really sit there and watch it for what it is, it's actually one of the most boring shows I've ever seen.

4. MikeMac

MikeMac Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Exactly. Whether or not the deadlines were real, what was clear was how hard he pushed his employees and was then shocked when they pushed back or quit.

Or am I supposed to believe that was all fake, too? Charlie didn't really quit and go work for Foose even though he's been on Overhaulin, right? He secretly still worked for Boyd, they just wanted better TV...

Give me a break, sparta.

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I never saw him lift a finger on any of the cars, just b1tch at the guys that they were'nt doing it fast or good enough.

Even on the episode where he went home to visit his family he didn't seem to fit in.

Good luck getting another job with those interpersonal skills.

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I would like to think most viewers wouldn't fully believe the deadlines. Everytime they would throw a time frame out there, I always wondered how long it actually took.

And as was said above, for all the nonsense we've been discussing about Boyd, he is by far one of the leading men that took Hot Rodding to a new level. He renewed it, gave it a new flavor with a fresh style, and kept it in the forefront of the industry.

7. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The scary thing is the number of people posting here who seem to believe the deadlines and everything else on the show were "100% real life"

8. LamboBully

LamboBully Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Brett Keller
    I had a chance to have my truck in a Boyd Coddington catalog. Didn't take the up the opportunity and im actually regreting it, RIP Boyd Coddington.

9. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Was your truck ever featured in any magazines or online back in the day?

I'd love to see some photos of it.

10. group77racing

group77racing Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Often Imitated
    Full Name:
    Never Duplicated
    Those past season cars where back for rework. When they did the red twin turbo midyear vette they were way over their heads. The "alumi-tub" was one of the coolest concepts, however, the shop didn't hammer out the body. Other than that, its all 80's stuff.

11. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil

Id idn't say he was Hitler and I didn't compare them. The question is "speaking ill of the dead". So if someone commits war crimes, we can speak ill of them, if someone beats his wife can we speak ill of him? If someone cheats on their taxes for 20 years can we speak ill of them? Where's the line?

12. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    So if someone made an impact in the car world is he held to a higher standard in your eyes than someone who worked in a soup kitchen after work for 12 years?

It's all relative to what we think is forgivable and what we're feeling at that time.

13. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    You know, it's a shame he died, but in my personal opinion, his hot rods sucked! They were all cookie cutter one looked like the other. The only thing i really liked about his car's was seeing them get built. Other then that, he was basically the OCC of hot rods just chrome and shiny paint. (and i am by no means advocating the over use of flat black, just the end of chrome everything)

14. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    I agree! I had a chance to show some of my rides I did back in the 90`s at the Oakland roadster show with Boyd, he loved cars and that should be all that matters... RIP buddie

the Hotrod world will miss him dearly and so will south Cal...

15. Rev.ATARI

Rev.ATARI Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2004
    Guam USA
    Full Name:
    Leland Jones
    If I remember correctly a member here owns the Corvette that was on the show, according to the show the deadline for the build was 3 months but I clearly remember the owner saying actual build time was over 3 years

16. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Ok guys, Boyd was a jerk... but at this point he's a dead jerk, so we should probably stop talking about his "jerkness" (is that a word??) for while, out of respect for him and his family. I know I can be a real jerk, but if I die tomorrow, I hope everyone, at least for a while, will talk about the few nice things I have done.

Give him and his family a break, we can talk about how he was a jerk later. For now, remember that he did have a talent. Maybe that talent was in knowing what to build, or maybe it was in knowing who to bring together so it could be built. In either case, it was a talent. RIP Boyd!

Bill

17. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    If you remember correctly Charlie left because he wanted to paint one particular car for Foose that was competeing for the Ridler Award and then return to work for Boyd, he was told if he painted the car for Foose he was done at Boyd's. I would have told him the same thing. If someone works for you would you let them also go help the competition?? Give me a break !!!!

18. fred cat

fred cat Karting
    BANNED

Oct 20, 2007
    ...His shop foreman`s name was " Wayne.".......it was only after talking to him we added the "duh"....Jerry

19. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I definetly agree.