Bradan 308 GT4 bare metal paint job. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bradan 308 GT4 bare metal paint job.

Discussion in '308/328' started by BRADAN, Sep 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    good to hear...perhaps you'll find much less than we did...i hope that's the case.

brett

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Didnt find any on mine either, just lead filling seams and high-build primer. No real reason for bondo unless it was repaired in the past. Ferrari was great at using lead and metal finishing rather than cheesing it up.

3. barnyard

barnyard Karting

Aug 25, 2009
    Would get you fired in my paint shop in 2 seconds and with a 357.

4. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
  5. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    #30 BRADAN, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
  7. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    #32 BRADAN, Sep 12, 2011
  8. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass

I was wondering about that - surely care was taken not to over heat any sections, but why wasn't paint stripper used?

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Soda blasting or media blasting is best, no chemical stripper residue in seams and joints to come back and haunt the painter.

10. barnyard

barnyard Karting

Aug 25, 2009
    Blasting makes the biggest mess,you can never get rid of all the media,its gets in everywhere and inevitably some will show up when your blowing color.The site of that sander running over the fender ridges,the panels all scratched up,that sander is removing a lot of metal,that looks really awefull,sorry, I apologise for saying that. That GT4 had thin paint,chemical stripping it would be a breeze,apply twice as much as needed and wash it off. Nice smooth body,not scratched up. The body man will use lights to scan the reflections in the bare metal,the scratches impede reflections,heck they are distortion. Painting Ferrari & Rolls require fanatic attention to detail,nooks and cranies,seams and all.

11. Strictly Ferrari

Strictly Ferrari Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car
    #36 Strictly Ferrari, Sep 12, 2011
  12. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    is that trunk lid aluminum or steel?

13. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    if you keep grinding that gt4 with that machine it may become a gtb

14. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Yup. Do you ever find a grinder in an aircraft painting hangar? Nope. Chem strip, clean, sand, clean, prime, clean, block, block, block, etc. Sad to see this happen to a classic car.

15. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Media blasting makes a mess. Parts of the car will be Chemically stripped. We start off coarse and switch to fine sand paper as we work through primer and bondo. By the time we reach bare metal the sand paper is so fine you can use it to wet sand orange peal out of paint.

16. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    You have no idea about the chemistry of cars or paint. You've got guys in there with bare hands and bare metal. You're taking metal from the car, and I can bet dollars to donuts that bare metal is sitting overnight, unprotected with humidity etching away - la,de,da and putting a nice sheen of FeO2 down on the surface. Combined with plenty of oily, acidic hand prints. Whatever,,,,

17. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Whoa, guys. This thread is turning ugly by way of "expert" opinions on how to strip a car. I don't think that BRADEN needs to defend himself here. He is executing a job for his customer, and from the photos, looks like he's doing a fine job.
    First of all, we're not seeing an alloy 275 here, it's a mostly steel GT4. I think think the logic is correct: take a seemingly clean car and strip it down as quickly as possible so you really know what is underneath. What is under that flat black boxer paint? Is it hiding some repaired rust? Old bodywork?
    This is between the car owner and shop owner and the estimate to repaint his car yellow on the outside. An estimate is just that - it is open until you know what you are dealing with. BRADEN has the right to do this job at a profit, and is not wasting any time getting to the core of the car.
    Statements like 'the car will sit and the corrosion will start and it's just a mess' kind of make me laugh. No ****, bare metal starts the corrosion process immediately. It matters not whether you you chemically strip it, media strip it or sand it. The steps afterward are important and I'm sure the shop has a plan, the techs, the equipment and materials to do it right.
    Let's watch the progress, and I think this GT4 will be a beauty.
    Just my 2 cents

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If you do it in a building! Did several cars with soda and never an issue with dirt plus the soda leaves a protective film on the car that prevents rust so theres no rush to get it in primer. Cost me $1000 to have my GTB stripped inside and out including materials like the GT4 above and it turned out great.

19. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Wow lots of anonymous expertise here.

I chose Bradan to do this job because they have been doing some very impressive detailing work on a remarkable number of Ferraris over the past few months.

For all I know I am the first guy to have a complete strip and respray in their shop. They quoted me a fair price, and since it's a GT4, not a 288 GTO, I gave them the work.

I could care less if they strip the car with Oven Cleaner, it's ONLY about the results. They have proven to be meticulous in their preparation and finish on all of the work that I have seen, and I trust they will do the same on this project. If you have done better quality work on a 1975 308GT4 then please post your in progress pictures and some images of the results- otherwise WAIT for the finished product.

IT'S MY CAR, not yours.

I am confident this will be among the best GT4's on the planet when it's done. And it will be mine.

20. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I Hope Bradan Continues To Post Their Progress!

21. Franc308

Franc308 F1 Rookie

Sep 23, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Franc
    +1000!!!!!!!

22. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Braden's doing a great job.

They will prep it right and paint it right, too.

I personally would like to see the jamb gun work, especially on the air intakes.

23. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    That is very pretty. I assume you used a chemical remover in a dipping container. What did you apply to the body to prevent rust during storage?

Are you using 2 or 3 stage priming?

When it's painted, will you be curing with heat?

24. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I would agree with you if this were a GTO and not a GT4.

25. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Take it easy Jay. Barnyard lacks any modicum of tact but my question as to why not use a chem stripper (or soda blasting as Newman did) was a fair one.

You and Bradan are posting here, which we all sincerely appreciate (Bradan takes great photos and has obviously worked on many, many special cars), but don't take it personally when a lively discussion starts.

You have a phenomenal car that I'm sure will look better than new when it's done. Congrats!