Bradan 612 6 spd paint, service, misc | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Bradan 612 6 spd paint, service, misc

Discussion in '612/599' started by BRADAN, Sep 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Whilst i appreciate the learned responses, and certainly don’t question their validity, “that’s just the way it is” is hardly a satisfying answer for a curious mind.

However, after doing a bit more research on the topic, I think I have come upon a more rational answer. The timing marks on the cam are accurate, or at least they should be, only the diameter at the location of the marks limits their practical accuracy. What I mean is this- a timing wheel, which is regularly 9” or more, allows for a great deal more precision than a chiseled mark on a 1” diameter camshaft, where a few degrees left or right is barely perceptible. The timing mark gets you in the ball park, but without a decent sized timing wheel, you’ll never do the engine justice by having it spot on.

Apologies for the side thread by the way!

Makuono likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    In actual fact, those assembly marks are often not accurate at all. Good enough to prevent bending a valve on assembly, but way off for cam timing.

3. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When you build an engine with rocker arms, you don't care about the camshaft alignment relative to the valves during initial assembly because the valves won't be actuated, yet. The cam is usually tied into the crankshaft with a timing gear. You can turn the crank to find top dead center and this will set the cam(s) at the proper position. Now it's now safe to put on the rocker arms. Some of the valves will be pressed down via the rocker arms, but the pistons will be out of the way.

On an overhead cam engine without rocker arms, the cams press directly on the valves. You can't tell by looking at the lobes on the cam which way to place the cam in the clamps. So you need a mark on the cam that gets you close so that you can clamp down the cams before the belts are attached. Then the technician can dial in the timing and set the final mark on the cam.

4. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    All great information and well explained, thanks for posting guys.

brogenville likes this.
  5. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
  6. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
    Damn, I wish you guys were near me. The quality of your work puts my main dealer to shame and they are a continual nightmare with zero customer service. They just quoted me QAR69,000- (roughly US$18,955-) to change my ac evaporator. 'Plus sir your headlining fell off whilst the car was in the service bay and you have some paint damage seems to be our fault'

I'm sure for that price I could ship the big boy 11,000 kms to you, get it fixed and numerous other things sorted and shipped back to me.

7. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Thank you. Thats a brutal repair bill!

8. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    I think my post might've gotten buried in the talk about the markings, but I was still curious about the nature of a service like the one performed on this car. Thanks!

9. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Its a standard belt service due every 5 years.

10. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
  11. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    Which cleaner do you use to wash the cars you service?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat