Bradan F355 2.7 Y pipe sale | FerrariChat

Bradan F355 2.7 Y pipe sale

Discussion in '348/355' started by BRADAN, Feb 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    #1 BRADAN, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Do you make one for the 5.2 version? ...and why is this one specific to the 2.7?

3. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The shape is different, but yes agreed, now is a GREAT time for the same sale on the 5.2 pipe!

4. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That's a good deal. Are there any heat soak problems with this bypass pipe if a ceramic coating isn't used? What are your recommendations?

Thanks,

Jimmy

5. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    + 5.2 :)

6. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Do I even need to ask if I need this? If you think I do - please, add it to my bill.

Thanks,
    Erik

7. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm having a hard time finding a listing of parts for the 355 on the Bradan site. Is there anywhere that lists all the products that Braden offers for the 355?

8. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    The 5.2 triggered CEL on our prototype. They have an additional thermocoupler behind the valve.

9. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Jimmy,

During testing we found our bypass pipe ran cooler then an OEM cat Y pipe. With increased flow by removing the cats and a smoother merge we reduced heat soak in that area.

10. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Already on my old car, it was used at the development car.

11. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    A new website will be launched in about a month with everything listed.

12. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Are those dyno results (before and after) with or without the primary cats?

13. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan

So you got a P1448? Yes there is an additional thermocoupler behind the bypass, but I thought this just measured gas temperature. It lets the ECU know when the bypass is open or closed. As long as the bypass valve is hooked up properly, then I don't understand why removing the upper y-pipe cats would be an issue unless the gasses were running hotter than the stock piece. The upper cats aren't monitored with O2 sensors like the lower cats, so removing them shouln't be an issue. Have you measured EGT? Bypass is in stock configuration?

14. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Excellent, thanks.

Thanks,
    Erik

15. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I had to think about this for a moment...but....

All three temp sensing locations use the same ECU's and probes. Each location is post Catalytic looking for pretty hot exhaust gases. So if a CAT is missing, the gas temp will be below expected threshold.

So I suspect Bradan got the P1448 code once the by-pass valve opened and the exhaust gas temp was too cool. Bet it took a couple of cycles to get there....but I can see how the code was thrown.

No different than test pipes right & left and the 1445 and 1447 codes that go with them.

Dang.....that would be a nice change as we do not have emission testing here.

16. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Yep, we tossed it up to the temp being out of range (low side).

17. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I wish I had waited and gotten this Y-pipe, I spent nearly double on my Fabspeed Y-pipe....I'm happy with it but it's still a thousand bucks on 2 steel tubes welded together.

18. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    "All three temp sensing locations use the same ECU's and probes. Each location is post Catalytic looking for pretty hot exhaust gases. So if a CAT is missing, the gas temp will be below expected threshold."

Just weld a bung onto one of the main cats, or simulate the thermocouple's output voltage.

19. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Wont work. You will get a 1448 code. Specific to the by pass thermocouple, the ECU only looks for the temperature when the bypass valve has been actuated (open). Otherwise there is no flow and there should not be any high temp readings.

If you drop the by pass thermocouple into the main cat ECU stream it will think the bypass valve is stuck open and throw the P1448 code.

Good idea though :)

20. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Good catch, a vacuum switch tied to the bypass to alternate between two values should defeat that.

21. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Bradan, thanks for trying to make an inexpensive system for the 355's with 5.2 ECU's.

I thought Gothspeed created a bypass-less exhaust for the 355 that didn't throw any codes. Does the Capristo Twin Valve Muffler which replaces the Catted Y tube with two bypass valves also throw codes?
    I hope someone that has one of these systems installed shares their experience with us.

22. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan

So how come I don't get a Slow Down light when my main cats are removed? Surely those gasses are cooler as well. The thermocoupler only triggers a slow down light for temps above spec, not below. Otherwise you would get a Slow Down light every drive until your engine fully warmed up.

23. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    It also triggers the CEL.

My understanding of the system is that the CAT ECU's operate within a temp range.

There is the low threshold which throws the CEL (1445, 1447, 1448). If your CATS are removed, you are not reaching the lower threshold and the CEL is is triggered to tell you your cats aren't working very well :)

If the thermocouple eclipses the higher threshold, you get the slow down light.

The Motronic ECU waits until a certain time or temp criteria is met before tossing codes....

Again....that's my understanding.

Sorry Bradan for hijacking your thread :(

24. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I have a 5.2 with stock y-pipe, decat pipes, and a Capristo that I bought used that doesn NOT have the bung for the thermocouple. So in essence, I have the CEL. I don't see it, because the bulb is in storage.

So would this y-pipe fit the 5.2? I obviously don't care about a potential CEL since I don't even have the sensor in place.

25. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Received my y pipe today. Looks to be a nicely made piece. Thanks Dan.

Jimmy