355 - Bradan F355 major service | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Bradan F355 major service

Discussion in '348/355' started by BRADAN, Jan 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I totally agree but i believe(could be wrong) that most oem gm,ford, and dodge operate this way in canada at least.
    So wha5 choice do you have

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    BFD. What do you mean what choice do you have?

3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not really. Pulling the tank takes longer. My hands are bigger than George Formans and the tank return hose is a slam dunk.

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You moved from california to texas. Move to montana and you will understand

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    WTF does that have to do with anything?

Did these morons you speak of take jobs working flat rate? How long has flat rate been the norm? Have guns to their heads? Only job in town?

Do you even work in this business?

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Not enough or in many cases none whatso ever, good independant mechanics.

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I dont think they are morons or said that.
    Yes they all took jobs at flat rate
    Its been the norm for atleast 25 years
    Guns generally unless hunting rifles are not allowed in shops
    Not the only jobs but even at flat rate they make pretty good money likely inthe 50 dollar per hour range no overtime.
    My mechanics only make 45 but get overtime which is the norm for heavy duty mechanics, machinists,welders, and millwrights.

No I do not work in the business but not sure wtf that has to do with anything.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    How is that different than anywhere else on the planet? I work alone. I could hire 4 tomorrow if there were any. Same is true of all the trades and most of the professions.

9. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    I agree. It didn't really take over until the recession locally now its standard.

I have free 5 year maintenance on my daily driver and still do my own service and oil changes. It went in for a recall and tipped the guy to not road test or wash my car after. If you really care about your cars never go to a flat rate shop.

10. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Thats pretty good, we have a shop helper setup the cars on lifts, remove the under trays, and clean all the parts for assembly.

11. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    I guess every car is different. In general it saves time leaving it in but sometimes its not an option.

Rifledriver likes this.
  12. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    When dealing with the masses I think its a good system to turn out production and most mass produced cars are designed to be very service friendly. With exotic cars everything your touching is either very expensive or no longer available. You cant just walk over to the parts counter and get what you need the same day.

If you do honest repair work its not an easy way to make a living you really have to enjoy it. As an employer if the tech can pay for himself and turn a profit for the shop I'm satisfied and don't feel the need to push them. Good guys come in and will work very hard for you if you give them a safe work environment, good pay, and treat them with respect. The guys that complain they don't make enough and the business or industry is garbage..... well if you have time to complain your not working hard enough.

Last night our flatbed broke down delivering a car in the Boston area. We were in a gas station parking lot trying to figure out whats wrong until 3 am in -7 degree weather. Turned out to be our DEF fluid froze solid and the engine shut down when the pump stopped. I crawled into work around 10 am this morning and everyone was miserable and short with me. As soon as I sat down in my office they each came in furious telling me one of the body guys has been dragging ass around the shop, on his phone, sitting in the bathroom, etc. I love how much they care and how upset they get when someone is taking advantage of the business. So I'm going to fire him at the end of the day without a warning. The system works if you give it a chance, its like a successful relationship you get what you give.

WATSON and taz355 like this.
  13. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Bear hanging out.

Attached Files:

WATSON likes this.
  14. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
  15. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    Looks like something tore a little bit of the belt. Any idea what it was?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

BRADAN likes this.
  16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    How many miles on those 10 yr old belts? Judging by other pictures that car gets driver.

17. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I love Bradans work. Great operation. I wish I rolled in those circles and type of shop.

My little business is pretty darn successful for a production shop. Insurance based collision. Will work on Porsche’s and Tesla’s. Stay away from exotics, but do solid neighborhood work.

I pay flat rate flagged hours and even with my top notch guys, they need the incentive. I pay well. I get them great hours and they help me weed out the trash. I have never been successful in the Dallas market with salary guys, never.

You have a great shop, great work and glad you can count on your crew. All the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Good eye! The plastic timing cover was cracked and laying on the belt.

19. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    The owner just bought the car without any service history so its unknown.

20. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Thank you.

If your Tesla and Porsche certified your clearly very good at what you do and in the top tier of the industry.

I'm sure it gets harder as you scale the business to keep everyone motived on Salary. We only have 9 employees total and every new employee has been recommended by another. The guy vouching for the new guy tends to baby sit the new guy to save face and will recommend firing them before I notice an issue.

carnutdallas likes this.
  21. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
  22. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks, but not certified, just cosmetic work only to non structural parts. We fit a really nice niche for cost versus need and operate to OEM standard with the latest tools and documentation, but refer structural and certified work to two other shops. Take care of those in the industry that have spent that kind of money. We have 15 employees - shop and office, that work their tails off. Let a guy go this morning who worked one week and did not have the workmanship to go with the experience and certs on the wall. I would rather not do the work, than do it wrong. Same corner since 1955. We have modernized, but never gone to far from our small shop roots. I personally guide the ship, not a trained tech. Just have the desire to do it right and hire the right people.

You have a great, great operation and team. I grew up in MD, miss the Atlantic Coast. All the best and sorry if I was confusing about Tesla and Porsche - just find them less exotic than actual exotics. Basically FCA parts bin and VW/ Audi, LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Sounds like a nice operation you have going for yourself. We are getting certified by 2 OEMs right now and its definitely a massive time and tool investment. I just think the entire industry is pushing towards certified collision shops and restricting parts to certified shops so I wanted to get in front of it. If you go to SEMA next year send me an email lets meet up for drinks.

carnutdallas likes this.
  24. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN