Bradan twin turbo 355 build. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bradan twin turbo 355 build.

Discussion in '348/355' started by BRADAN, Mar 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    550 to the wheels. Anything over that will ruin the 355 feeling IMO.

2. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    I've wanted to do this for years now. Really nice to finally kick it off.

3. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Did I miss the explanation on the origin of this car? Did you steal this turd for a 10th of what it SHOULD be worth from some rich dumbazz? Or is this a customer's car who just got around to getting his 30K major, 12 years and/or 60K miles late??

Anyway, this is gonna be an epic thread!! Thanks for doing it!!!

4. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    You can put that much safely and reliably through the transaxle and clutch, or is that another area for mods? Just asking.

5. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    So, turbo kit out in a year or so?

6. shado

shado Guest

May 5, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Shado Ra
    I was thinking the same. I am wondering what was this cars history, 80 k miles was not the reason why the engine was in a bad way. Chances are the car could have been maintained/worked on by a Ferrari dealer during its life. Maybe it was a dealer that striped out the crank cover ect (silicon)? That's it with some dealer see, while some think dealers can do no wrong. Some of us have seen bad work done by them, mainly because we can turn our own spanners. The average innocent and ignorant owner who does not know a cam cover from a timing belt cover, won't know any difference.

7. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    This is GREAT!

8. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    It was bought knowing it needed a full rebuild with FI as the original plan.

9. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    We are going to do a boost by gear setup. This will limit the HP in 1st and 2nd to avoid wheel spin and ruining the transaxle. The clutch will be upgraded to support 800 hp.

10. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Our Gallardo build was wayyyy more complicated then this to build and it was running in a year. The f355 is fairly basic and the electronics are a joke compared to modern stuff. But I honestly have no clue how long it will take and what we will run into.

11. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    Just for comparison's sake, have you guys taken apart many 80k mile 355 engines in the past? As my (well-maintained) car turns 34k miles, I don't want to think this is what my engine will look like in 46k miles....

Really hoping that this was a bad case of neglect and shortcut taking!

Love the thread by the way. I expect this will be one of those record breakers in terms of views. Keep up the fantastic work.

John

12. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    So this is the project you were holding out on us :) I am sure the power will be awesome but you can't make a Turbo sound good so that will be a big negative especially on a 355. I am subscribed though and will check in often :)

13. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Judging by the messy engine, this isn't your 355. How did yours go? Ever finish her?

14. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    Wow, what a treat of a thread this will be.

Can't wait!

15. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Awesome!

16. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It is.

Long story short, the first day I met Daniel (when viewing my Mondial for the first time) I told him that I loved the 348 and wished it was my first but due to my son I wanted a 4-seater. Daniel couldn't stop talking about the 355 which I brushed off. I told him if he ever decided to sell his 355, I would buy it.

Fast forward 6 months and I bought my 348 with the intentions of doing a TT conversion. The engine turned out to be a disaster (view the 348 clutch in this section) so Daniel advised against it.

Fast forward another few months and I got the call from Daniel saying he would sell me the 355 if I was still interested. He quoted me a price for a rebuilt 355 and another one for a TT build. The temptation was too much to resist.

I can't thank Daniel and the Bradan team enough - I know this is as exciting to them as it is for me.

Thanks,
    Erik

17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Agreed.

Neat project. Hopefully you will stick with some very small turbos to keep it ultra responsive.

Maybe some GT2860r's or so.....

I assume it will be air/water intercooler. Maybe you can get a nice heat exchanger up front and finally make that grille functional :)

18. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Too much piping will increase the lag. I'm betting it will only take about 12 psi to get 550 out of it with proper tuning.

Rob

19. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    given the high RPM nature of the motor, some T-3 super 60's would be perfect for the power he is planning. The GT2860 is a little stressed at that power output (even for two of them) and will require more boost to get the same overall effect. The T3S60 will spool by 3,000 RPM anyway underload and will keep the exhaust temps down to a sane level given the greater flow. The T3 flange also allows greater flexibility later one when it comes to turbo selection. You should be able to make roughly 550 at the wheels with only 10 PSI of boost on the stock motor running 93 octane unleaded with a pair of T3S60's at 11:1 compression. This is based on the fact that I ran a nearly identical setup on a 1.8 liter 11:1 compression motor with 91 octane CA pisswater at 10 PSI and made north of 275 at the wheels on a Miata 4 cylinder 16v head (not all together different, only that the Ferrari has an inherent advantage in the fact that it's a 5v head.)

Mark

20. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My future TT build will feature GT2860RSs,maybe with the larger exhaust housing, to maintain low end power and I am not shooting for 550 at the wheels. I feel that 500 at the crank would be the perfect amount of power for the F355.

Rob

21. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    #46 Markphd, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You really don't loose much going to the T3 with a .63 A/R housing and the .48 A/R housing is certainly very quick to spool on the T-3. If you are looking to build power below 3,000 RPM you might want to consider a diesel conversion. :)

Also I agree, 500-550 HP would be a very quick F355. It's funny that my 355 is actually slower than the Miata I owned. The addition of a hundred horsepower would change that quickly.

Below you can see the comparison between a 9.5:1 motor running 15 PSI of boost with a GT28 and a 11:1 motor running 10 PSI of boost with a T3 from my dyno back in the day. The T3 owned the GT28 in every way. Multiply by 2 and you have the F355.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    awesome guys! ....pulling up chair, with popcorn in hand :)

23. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Very cool build.

24. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Markphd, it all depends on your goals.

If max power goal is 550hp than I would personally stay on the small side with turbo selection. It always makes for a better driving car in 90% of conditions, IMO.

(in respect to transient response at part throttle).

A single GT28RS can make 350rwhp, in twin configuration they won't be breathing hard at 550rwhp and could do 700rwhp maxed.

Nothing wrong with T28 turbines at this power/displacement. They have been run to over 800rwhp in larger displacement twin turbo setups. Twin T3's have been to 1100++rwhp.

25. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    this will be an excellent thread, Good luck Dan and Erik !!