Bradan twin turbo 355 build. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Bradan twin turbo 355 build.

Discussion in '348/355' started by BRADAN, Mar 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Jimmy,

Thank you. No clue to be honest.

2. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    I appreciate everyones input but this kit will never be offered as a bolt on kit. Think of all the issues the F355 motor gives people in stock configuration, now you want to add boost and double the exhaust gas temps? It would be a short lived motor at best. Our view is do it correctly or don't do it at all.

Compression will be 9:5:1.

3. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Somebody will, the time has come. EGTs are not double on FI cars, I don't think you meant that literally though. I remember the same arguments about the Lotus Elise engine and I now have a TVS supercharged monster that is making nearly the same HP as a stock 355 and it revs to 9k, has stock compression, cams etc. on a 1.8l engine that is built half as well as an F car engine.

4. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree with this 100%.

As a shop and business doing this kind of modification you can't let to much of the process get out of your control. Sure there are plenty of people that could take a kit and make it work on there stock motor but the ones who do it wrong would ruin the reputation of your kit and your shop. As a business that is to big a risk and I understand why you are doing it this way only.

5. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    As stated above, egt's should not change greatly because of forced induction. If they do then you are doing it wrong.

Egt temps will increase but only 100-200f not double. Max Egt should remain under 1750 and preferably closer to 1650. This is why timing, octane, and air fuel ratio's are so important on boosted motors.

Even on the most crazy motors I have worked on (Nissan gtp and p-port rotaries) I have never exceeded 1850f on the dyno, because the exhaust temps are important in predicting how close to the detonation threshold you are. Additionally, keeping exhaust alive at 1850 essentially dictates the use of inconel in the exhaust system.

9.5:1 is a very sane compression ratio and running a lot of boost won't be difficult, 15 psi on pump gas is a piece of cake at that compression ratio, so hitting your goal of 500 HP should be easy to hit.

Although, I think stock compression with 7 psi might be more fun and easier to maintain. It will also help spool occur earlier because of the higher compression.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

6. ~Joshua

~Joshua Karting

Jan 1, 2010
    Full Name:
    Check my profile
    Is it too much to ask that all the clutter talk be kept to near zero? The OP doesn't need any help and all this chatter only serves to dilute the thread with noise.

Asking about pricing and packages are one thing, talking about miatas, hondas, theory, and what turbos the OP "should" be using is another.

Thank you Bradan for this endeavor!!!

7. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes it is, as they are all pertinent to the topic. Bradan does great work, and just as good community service. They do more than most companies to share their methods and work so while I would not generally need their services if someone near them was looking for work done I would refer them to Bradan without question. But here there is a market that some of us wish they would serve, again we want to do business with them, and there is a difference on the way these markets should be served.

8. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    aaah i know this car. Great deal for the both of you guys and Fantastic idea.

9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes.

"Model Specific Discussions > 348/355 > Bradan twin turbo 355 build."

See the part about discussions? That's what we're doing.

10. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    No I don't see it what do you mean ;) That is a good one lol :)

11. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    If this was a classified ad I could see your point but this is a "discussion" forum. All of this is relevant to the topic so feel free to read only the posts from Bradan if it upsets you.

Thank you

Rob

12. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I see both sides of the fence -

Generally Daniel posts in his section as well:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219

Usually there is little chatter and just update posts. I'm sure Daniel will start a thread there and those that don't want the outside opinions can go there.

I personally don't mind, I love suggestions and comments (of course, I'm not the mechanic, lol).

Thanks,
    Erik

13. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
  14. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Do you have a target price for the whole package? The whole rebuild and turn key turbo kit and install?

15. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Love this thread !

16. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    +1. General ball park figure will suffice, if specifics can't be given. For the right price might be worth picking up an abused 355 and doing a lil restoration project.

17. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Is this exclusive to 348/355 because 328,360,439 these can have bolt in kits with no issues

18. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I don't think they have the valve guide, header, etc issues as the 355 and lesser extent 348 have. I could be wrong.

Erik

19. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    It's going to be around 50k. Built engine, turbo kit, tuned, etc.

20. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    It's going to be just for the F355. After this we will be doing a Stradale package that will work on any variant of a 360.

21. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Very nice. I'm staying tuned for this :) Good Job!

22. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Most certainly, Bradan's work is highly appreciated.

However, NO ONE, regardless of experience or intellectual ability is all-knowing in a given subject. IMHO, discussion of the theory adds tremendously to a thread such as this. Mark is most certainly correct in his assertion that the basics of thermodynamics, flow dynamics, and the like remain a predictable constant, regardless of the specific engine utilized. Bradan has obviously already selected the particular turbocharger to be utilized, but side discussion of theory and alternate opinions adds to everyone's overall knowledge base, Bradan included. There are some amazingly talented and intelligent individuals on FChat. To silence their potential contribution does everyone a disservice.

23. ~Joshua

~Joshua Karting

Jan 1, 2010
    Full Name:
    Check my profile
    Everyone made great points in their critique... I just remember the last pair of turbo threads turned into 40 pages with at least 80% of the talk being completely useless from any standpoint.

I simply had better hopes for this thread hence my suggestion mearly to put caution on the radar screen at a minimum. Sorry to have offended.

I'm a hardcore gearhead with extensive forced induction experience; I'm looking forward to this build!

24. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Someone please explain to me WHY anyone would do this!?
    $50K for the ENTIRE car, another $50K for turbo mods... now you're $100K into a 13+ year old car that's worth $50K!!

I certainly mean no disrespect, this project makes perfect sense for Braden, because their cost to do this is probably 10-15% of that. But to think there will be a market for this is a tad unrealistic. Take a close look around, the FAR majority of 348/355 owners are of average modest income levels, guys with unlimited funds like Erik "dailyferraridriver" have usually moved onto 599's, 458's, or at least a 430 by now.

If I was going to do something profoundly irresponsible and monumentally stupid with $100K, i'm gonna buy twin 355's, NOT 1 355 with twin turbo's!!

25. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Why do people put 80k into vipers that are worth 40k? Why do honda guys put 30k into cars that are worth 5k? Even better why do people put 30k in repairs into a 50k F355? They love their cars.

To be honest my cost is estimated at 30-35k in parts without collecting a dollar in my labor. 5k might get you a pair of turbos and major service kit. Generally I agree most have bought them 2-3-4th hand. There is a demographic of owners that bought it brand new and held onto it since day one. I know plenty of F355 owners that have millions of dollars in cars and just like the F355. Something like this is for the guy that loves the car but would like modern day power. Do you understand how fast a car a 3,000 lb with 550 whp is? It's about the same power to weight ratio as an Enzo.

Or you could buy any brand new car for 100k and sell it after 2 years. You would end up at the same number.