Bradan twin turbo 355 build. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Bradan twin turbo 355 build.

Discussion in '348/355' started by BRADAN, Mar 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Because some of us own 355's because they look way better than a 599, 360 or 430? Just because it cost more doesn't mean it is nicer ;) I am watching this thread with great interest.

Didn't Eric just buy a 348? :)

2. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you are buying a Ferrari as a money making investment you are making a big mistake.

Loving your car makes spending money on it much easier. No one said it is rational or intelligent. :)

3. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1000. None of us are ever going to make any investment-grade money on our Ferraris. These are not limited number, coach-built cars,

I personally think $100K for a car that will pretty much run with a 430/458 Italia is a reasonable investment. It's really such a beautiful car. Moreover, it is still a "real" sports car, not a video game on wheels. We will never state: "Oh ***t, I just hit that bridge abutment at 90 mph because I was too busy scrolling through my display screens so I could see my oil pressure and temperature a nd see how fast I was going." Call me Old School but I prefer analog gauges. I drive by needle position, not exact numerical readings. :)

4. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I might not ever be able to justify another $50k on my 355. I'm still very excited to see how it all works out I would love to have the system on my car.

5. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #105 JeremyJon, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
    i'd like to know what design goals you guys set up from start, like peak hpower vs drivable power, ECU stock vs stand-alone ECU, etc.??

6. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'm totally old school when it comes to turbo engines and would not have a clue as to the "how to's" using todays technological advancements.
    However some things do not change...and that being the building of a street turbo motor vs an endurance turbo race engine.....

The dynamics of an engine running 1/2 to 3/4 bar pressure with short periods of 1 bar vs an engine running 1 bar to 2 bar++ for extended periods is such a huge difference there is no comparison....especialloy when it comes to the engineering/developement costs and reliability.

First link is the LCII project(Ferrari Engine) which by the way was a nightmare.....we could outrun just about anything until it went nuclear...about the time it was reliable FIA changed the rules.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136727344&postcount=42

This link shows my all time favorite turbo motor....we could run it in many different configurations..2.8, 3.0, and 3.2...even could play with compression ratios from 6:1 up to 8:1. What was nice for the drivers(not the engine builder..lol) is that for very short bursts we could get 1,000hp out of the 3.2 simply by turning the knob to the full right position.
    Super reliable for a flat six air cooled engine.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPfK_BispVo[/ame]

The 355 tt has been done successfully before but I have never seen the design/build specs.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136721385&postcount=24

Will be nice to see Bradens project completed........if everything goes as planned I'm sure it will be a hoot to drive for sure.

7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    If you have a 355 that needs a $25k engine rebuild and you want to go faster, you don't have many options - you could rebuild it for $25k and sell it for $50k adding another $50k to get a 430, sell it for $20k and add $80k for a 430, or rebuild and add turbos for $50k. The last is the cheapest way to go faster if that's what you want, and makes sense if you prefer the 355 styling. I wouldn't do it, but it's perfectly understandable.

8. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    #108 Markphd, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    It's just about fast enough to make most people wet their pants. It's gonna be serious fun, the question is are there any parts that will give up the ghost at 550 WHP? (i.e. clutch)

9. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    IIRC, they are going to upgrade the clutch to an aftermarket model capable of handling >800 hp.

10. sdbmwfxr

sdbmwfxr Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    San Diego
    I have lurked over Bradan's posts and I can tell you that from what they show on this board their work, in my opinion, is very thorough and of very high quality. I do a lot of projects for folks all of the time that cost way more than the car is worth.

Currently I have 2 3.0csi cars in and both customers have budgets well north of $60k while the cars might reach to $40k when complete. Try to remember that many folks have a lot of discretionary income that you (and me) may not have and while their financial decisions with their cars seem outlandish to us, they quite frankly don't give a damn and they want what they want. It is my job, Bradan's job, as well as others to provide them with what they want. Keep in mind too that there are many shops who think they can handle these kinds of jobs, while the truth is that they can barely pull off an oil change without damaging the car and ripping off the customer.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and tell you too that this project by Bradan is probably not a high margin job that keeps things rolling. Most projects like this are difficult to bill all of the hours spent, and unfortunately, a high percentage of the execution of the work goes unappreciated.

I would never do this to my 355, mainly as I don't like the feel of forced induction, but I'm sure going to have fun watching these guys complete this project, that is for sure.

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I say let the haters hate.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, for the money you could bla, bla, bla, bla ,bla. But the first time this boosted 355 lays the smack down on a GTR, Z06, Camaro SS, Shelby 500, Murcielago, 997 turbo, heck even some street bikes, it'll be aaaalllll worth the effort.

Boost that beeotch.

12. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I guess the simple answer is 'because we can' - but more specifically...

I don't like the 430's - I've been in a 599 and she pulls like a !$@#$@ train, but it's missing a pedal. Same with the 458, but I have not been or driven one (was supposed to on Friday, but business got in the way).

As far as the unlimited funds comments - even with the 4 cars and this TT build, I'm nowhere near the price of a 599 GTO, forget about the Ferrari's that sell in the Millions. Hardly unlimited funds, although I appreciate the flattery.

The simple fact is going by your theory, there would be no aftermarket anything. You pull a car off a lot, you lose value instantly. Pretty much every part you put on, you drop the value further. Unless your name means something Saleen, Brabus, RUF, etc. Either way, you're not going to make an investment using aftermarket stuff.

Erik

13. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I've purchased all of them within the last year and change. The 348 will be a year old (for me) in about a week. Only able to put 600-800 miles on her before I lost the clutch and, well, the rest, lol.

Erik

14. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada

+1 ...cool Erik, IMO no reason to answer to anyone for doing your own thing

so what are your desiggn goals on the project? outright power vs drivablility? fast spool-up or high boost? are you going stand-alone ECU or modding the stock system?

15. FDT

FDT Formula Junior

May 18, 2010
    La
    Full Name:
    Ric
    This is really not a stupid build at all. Ask how much any of the show car circuit guys have in their blinged out rides. How much does Foose get to build a hotrod that will never see the street. Dont get me wrong, I love to tinker myself and love to drool over the cars..........its not about the money to those that have both the money and the fever, its about art of the mechanics.

16. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    ...ask the kid at the end of the block, how much $ he's got into that honda civic :rolleyes: :D :D

17. f-man

f-man Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 10, 2008
    canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    How does the car Suspension,Steering,handling characteristics handle this power upgrade?
    Also, would this be suggested for the spider version... or would the frame need to be beefed up?

I would Definetly look at this upgrade on such a worthy recipient as the 355

18. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Bradan has already upgraded the suspension on the car - I'm sure he'll post it on here.

Erik

19. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Well said.

20. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    You asked for a price/budget and you got one. Then the critics chinmed in. I say, next time don't talk money until the project is done. Then you have stats, dyno runs, buzz, etc. before you talk cash. Why would someone do this as opposed to...?

Because they love their 355's! And they are tired of getting smoked by Hondas or Subies ir Mitsies. Whatever. Maybe it's just because it's a cool car guy thing to do. How many blown Mustangs and Vettes have you seen that out spend their value? Ever priced a used Cobra, Shelby or Saleen? Or a Calloway?

Go for it Bradan guys! We are might learn something. Offer a full kit is the only way a sho like yours should do this.

The rest of us can patch work some bolt on package. That's a job for a Stooge and we are up to the task. Of course if you blow up a 348 engine, it's not that big of a deal. ;) This thread makes great reading. Love it!

21. f-man

f-man Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 10, 2008
    canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Can you tell us what is included in the kit? Or these kits...
    Engine Twin turbo pkg
    Suspension pkg
    Big Brake kit

22. FDT

FDT Formula Junior

May 18, 2010
    La
    Full Name:
    Ric
    My 16 year old son asked me yesterday what car I would buy if I had serious money but not super rich money. I asked him what that meant and he said enough so that you could buy a new 458 but not an Enzo. This actually got me thinking and I realized there trully is not a car out there that excites me a lot more than the 355.......a little nuts I know..........

with this said, If I had it to spend, I really would rather sink money into the 355 to make it a very special ride. Something like having all the suspension and brakes replaced with the latest and greatest, having all the interior replaced with top grade leather, replace the steering wheel with a 360 unit and have the engine totally rebuilt with some serious power, like this Braden build,
    then I would have in my opinion a very special and serious ride that I would actually enjoy more than a new 458. Why? because I like shifting my own car, I like a targa roof, I like gauges that are round and do not force me to read a manual to use, I like the sound of a high revving small displacement V8.

I told this to my son who like all 16 year olds like modern styling and tech a bit more than I do and he thought I was just saying that because I have a 355, not because I really think this way.... but I really do.

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I would love to know the condition of the rods when they were taken out of the engine with 90k on the odo. Are they going to be replaced with other titanium rods or more durable steel ones? Not trying to start a debate, I'm just curious.

24. Stefan_009

Stefan_009 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston area, MA
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Looking forward to more updates, what an incredible build :)

25. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Right now all the engine internals are being reverse engineered. Our game plan for the engine is the following.

-Steel H-beam connecting rods
    -9:1 compression forged pistons
    -Thicker wrist pins
    -Ductile iron sleeves
    -Inconel exhaust valve
    -Valve springs made 50 lbs stiffer
    -Reinforce the cylinder head.
    -Higher tensile strength rod bolts, head studs, main cap bolts.