Bradan twin turbo 355 build. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bradan twin turbo 355 build.

Discussion in 'Bradan' started by BRADAN, May 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FlamingGallardo

BANNED

Jun 4, 2012
    Any updates on this car!? Looks really good man.

2. BAD360

BAD360 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2004
    Albany/Colonie NY
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Awesome thread..amazing amount of carbon buildup on those valves !

3. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #28 mrbucket2, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Wow very serious carbon buildup on the RS4. What are guys doing to clean it out? Sea foam?

Right now we are having the following engine internals made for this project.

-Ductile iron sleeves
    -Forged 9:1 compression pistons
    -H-beam forged connecting rods
    -Multi layer steel head gaskets
    -Inconel valves
    -Valve springs with spring pressure increased 50 lbs.
    -Titanium retainers
    -Reinforce the cylinder head with posts for increased clamping strength.
    -Stronger crank and head bolts.

5. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nope, I believe shops are letting gasoline soak on the valves and then a manual cleaning. I had heard of walnut shells being used but I heard an engine got ruined when they got in a cylinder and scored the walls. I may be wrong on the solvent used but it needs to be manually cleaned. I was charged $850 for the cleaning and its worth it.

6. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    BMW / Mini standard procedure is the walnut shells. Apparently, a big issue is caused by the direct injection.

7. BAD360

BAD360 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2004
    Albany/Colonie NY
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Wow indeed. Not to hi - jack the thread but can you provide some info on the RS4?

- Are you original owner ?
    - Using top tier gas (Shell, Chevron)?
    - Adding injector cleaner at periodic intervals ?
    - Primarily city driving ?

This direct injection issue has me questioning a future purchase for the moment

Dan - would love your input on any recommendations to prevent this

8. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    I'm not familiar with RS4-specific issues but I am familiar with the BMW/Mini system. I think the problem might be worse on turbo cars. Remember, because it's direct injection, there is no fuel on the back of valves. So it means the top tier gasolines with detergents will do nothing for you and neither will injector cleaner...the fuel never sees the intake tract.

Apparently, due to cam timing and EGR, there can be a funky reversion issue that develops so the coking on the valves is exhaust gasses -- yes, on the *intake* valves. And there's no fuel washing to prevent the build-up. At my local BMW dealership, intake valve cleaning with walnut shells is considered a regular maintenance item at 50,000-60,000 miles on the N54/N55 (3.0L turbo) and Mini Cooper S vehicles.

9. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Second owner, it was an Audi corporate car I picked up with 8800 miles back in 2007.
    Use top tier gas but no benefit since its direct injection and no gas washes over the valves.
    No additives since it won't help because of the stated reason.
    Has 33,000 miles now at its first cleaning. It's just something you have to look at as a maintenance issue, it doesn't have a timing belt but it has this issue.
    I'd say the driving is a good mix of conditions, I drive it hard which supposedly helps.
    Definitely don't be scared away by this issue, it's really a great car.

10. BAD360

BAD360 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2004
    Albany/Colonie NY
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I get that the valves are no longer "cleaned" by the gas with DI engines..I wonder if something periodically sprayed into the intake would help ?

Say every 10K miles empty a can of carb cleaner (or similar) while at idle speeds?

11. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    I would try sea foam or E85 in the ports to clean it out. Media just sounds scary to me.

12. mrbucket2

mrbucket2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2006
    Bergen County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Oh yeah its not media blasted at all, its scraped off with a tool after being soaked in a solvent and then vacuumed out of the ports