355 - Brake accumulator | FerrariChat

355 Brake accumulator

Discussion in '348/355' started by cheungchoyui, Oct 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cheungchoyui

cheungchoyui Karting

Oct 16, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Joe Cheung
    Hi guys,

Do you know where I could buy a replacement for my f355 brake accumulator ?

Seems the original one is no longer available.

Thanks
    Joe

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You can cross-reference it to other mfgr parts (it's not Ferrari specific) or you can buy it from superformance.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. cheungchoyui

cheungchoyui Karting

Oct 16, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Joe Cheung
    Hi,

Thanks for advice. I bought one from Superformance. However, the dimension seems not right. The height is higher than my original one.

I m wondering if anyone install the after market one from Superformance or which after market one could fit properly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Certain Jaguar models used the same Teves brake master. I bought a Jaguar accumulator, same as the original Ferrari.

carnutdallas likes this.
  5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #5 Ferrarium, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Some Range rovers used it as well as some Thunderbirds and Regals and Reattas. You can find them on ebay, takes a bit of cross reference for ford, gm, jag or range rover is all. I did it awhile back and found a slew of them but did not keep notes. Some were compatible some absolutely identical. I do believe people rotate the unit to get it to fit btw.

tbakowsky likes this.
  6. cheungchoyui

cheungchoyui Karting

Oct 16, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Joe Cheung
    Hi guys, thanks for the information. The other concern is that the workshop manual said the pressure should be 80 bar inside the ball. Do you guys know of the cross reference ones such as Jag’s one matches the pressure requirement ?

Thanks

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The pressure is up to 180 Bar. Jaguars (XJ40) had almost identical ABS Master and ABS pump as the Ferrari 348/355. The Jag ABS pump operates at similar pressure as the Ferrari one and, in fact, a bit higher - up to 195 Bar.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Please post back where and what works for you.

9. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Search the archives. I replaced mine like two years ago.
    I was going to go witht he Jag replacement, but second guessing said the Superformance should be a known good alternative. Wrong. It simply doesn't fit being too large. They did take it back & said they would unlist it as a proper fit. I guess they didn't unlist it.
    Then I went with the Jag from earlier posts as well as the GM switch to stop the accursed ABS lamp on problem. Both fit perfectly and haven't had a single brake problem for 2 years now.

10. cheungchoyui

cheungchoyui Karting

Oct 16, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Joe Cheung
    Guys , thanks for the information. I will try to see if Superformance accept my return first.

11. cheungchoyui

cheungchoyui Karting

Oct 16, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Joe Cheung
    Superformance accepted my return and gave me a full refund. And I bought a Jaguar one and it works !

Qavion likes this.
  12. cheungchoyui

cheungchoyui Karting

Oct 16, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Joe Cheung
    Unfortunately , I encounter another problem. Whenever I cold start the car, there’s no problem with the abs light as well as brake light. That is when I turn the key “On” (engine not running) the ABS light and the Brake light go off in few seconds. Then I turn the key to “Start” (engine running ) , ABS and brake light go off too. Everything is just fine. However , when I warm the car up and drive for 15 mins. I turn the key off and then re start the engine , the ABS light goes on and stay on. In addition if I press the brake for like 8-10 times , brake light goes on as well. And then both 2 lights stay on forever. Seems the abs pump is not working when engine is running.
    Then I shut down the engine , turn the key to ‘On’ , abs pump is running and then both brake light and abs light go off after awhile.
    But abs light is on again when I start the engine.

This only happened when the car is warm up. Never has problem in cold start.

Do you think it’s a relay ‘s problem ?

Thanks

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    When the ABS light goes on, you can read the error code and it will tell you what the problem is.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Have you properly bleed the system after replacing the accumulator?

15. cheungchoyui

cheungchoyui Karting

Oct 16, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Joe Cheung
    My mechanic changed the brake fluid of the whole system. I think he did it properly.

16. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
    Hallo,
    I have change my accumulator with a new, but now the pump start each time I press the break. I have no bleed the system after change accumulater. Can that be the problem?

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You changed the whole pump assembly or just the bomb?

18. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
    The first time i changed the whole pump assembly and bleed the system with the old accumulater. I bought a new accumulater, because I can only breack 3 times with the old. But with the new, I can break only one time. I resend the new bulpto the seller
    and he gives me another, but the problem is the same.
    Is aire in the system?
    Thanks

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's not air in the system. There is / are pressure sensors attached to the pump (that green thing) as well attached to the Teves unit that control when the pump is on. Did you get a new or old pump assembly? Did you swap the pressure sensor for a good known one? Did somebody fix this before you? Did you check the wirings at the ABS unit and fuse/relay unit?

20. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
    I have change only the pump wand the e motor. The pressure switch is the old. I have also change the relais from pump and the level measerement (orange). That what is strange, if a try with the old accumulator, it goes for 3 times and with the new only one. It seems also that with he new accumulator, the car breaks better as with the old accumulater, but the pump charged each time

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Perhaps you do not have the correct accumulator for the application.

22. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
    It is the same at the old one and the description are also the same. I try to bleed again this week end and tell you, if it is ok or net
    Thanks

23. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    If you have air in the lines to the rear brakes, it will cause much more than normal of the pressurised fluid in the accumulator to be "consumed" on brake application. This is because a lot of fluid from the accumulator will be used just to compress the air (equivalent to the brake pedal sinking on conventional brakes when there is air in the system). You will need to keep the key in ACC position (fluid pump active), especially when bleeding the rear brakes.

Qavion likes this.
  24. Sbeni

Sbeni Rookie

Mar 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Beni Stefano
    Hallo, I bleed again the whole system, and nothing change. The pumpe start charging each time I push the break pedal. It is possible, that aire is in a other place ?