Brake bleeding issue | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Brake bleeding issue

Discussion in '308/328' started by gt500blue, Mar 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #51 mike996, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    If you are using a pressure bleeder, there is no need to do anything as far as bench bleeding. If, when using the pressure bleeder, you are getting fluid with no bubbles at each brake fitting, there is no air in the system. If the brakes aren't working, and all lines/fittings are OK (not leaking), the MC has failed.

Re brake lines, a fairly common failure occurs when the flexible lines deteriorate over time. But the failure mode is not USUALLY related to your symptoms. It can cause the brakes (typically only one brake but can be more) to lock up after applying and not release. It can even cause the brakes to lock up on their own under certain conditions. I SUPPOSE, though I have not seen it, that the deterioration could obstruct the flow of fluid in the application direction... BUT this problem is unrelated since your getting a soft pedal which is pretty much an air in the system or a MC failure mode.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have had a 355 where I bleed all the four with a Motive pressure bleeder at 15 psi and still have soft pedal. Then I bled the bleeder nipple at the master cylinder and it firmed up. So I have seen the limitation of the pressure bleeder.

3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My experience is that if you have a soft pedal that holds you’ve got air, if you have a pedal that sinks (whether soft or hard) then you’ve got a bad MC seal.

waymar likes this.
  4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    If the master cylinder is good and you still can't bleed out the air, be aware that the front calipers can be mounted on the wrong wheel with the brake bleeding ports on the bottom rather than the top. Bleeding out the air becomes impossible.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very common and not just on 355 or even Ferrari for that matter. Part of the reason when they build cars they do not bleed the brakes the way we do.

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Agree with that, and apologize for not being clear re the pressure bleeder: ALL bleeder screws in the system have to be bled as part of the process, including any bleeds on the MC...