360 - Brake Booster advice - | FerrariChat

360 Brake Booster advice -

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ballvice, Jun 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Looking for advice and trying to find a thread.

My 360's brakes are not functioning correctly - I fully suspect it is the ABS system or the booster.

I remember someone posting something in one of the threads about the booster vacuum lines - and check value issues - but for the life of me I cannot find that thread. We are shipping the car out for a rally in less than 10 days and I am urgently trying to get these fixed - would love it if my fellow owners in the form could give me some advice and point me in the right direction.

As info - the pedal is HARD - and the brakes don't GRAB - so I am really suspecting it is the booster -

Hoping for solid advice to a solid quick fix.

Thank you all in advance!

Some Guy in the sky likes this.
  2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

do you have a new booster? replacing it takes 3 hour max. I probably can do it within 2 hours.
    do you have the check valve(s)? replacing it takes less than 2 hours. I probably can do it within 1 hour.
    if you have a vacuum leak, from vacuum source(intake manifold) to booster, u can use some soap water or smoke machine. .

PhillBachowski likes this.
  3. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    I've never cracked anything open on the brakes and don't have access to a shop manual for the car - I am going to hop in real quick - fire up the car - let the boost pressure build - hold the pedal down and see if it pushes back once I turn the car off.

I am trying to figure out if it is the check valve- a leak - or a bad booster - I suspect 1 of the 3 --- or even all 3 -

4. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    wowo - I hope I don't have to go through all of this - I have already done a full fluid flush and pad change -

Mine seems like the ABS never kicks in that I can feel.

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

so you are driving normally and want to have a sudden stop...... you step on the brake as hard as you can and there's no ABS and the stop power is weak?

6. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    I have never felt the ABS kick in and the pedal is hard as a rock - which makes me think I'm not getting any vacuum pressure -

I just took everything out of the FRUNK - and am going to start taking out all of the (STRIPPED!!!!) hex bolts (man - they are soft and the previous owner was surely in here before.

7. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
  8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

im not sure if you have the new valves and new booster ready, but if you don't, best bet now is to check for vacuum leak. what's your assembly number? ( to determine late or early 360)

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

and, if you really have a vacuum leak, I bet if you drive for more than 100miles, u'll get a CEL for running lean

10. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    1999 - Gated -

And I get a failure about every 100 miles - but it's the MAF failure on one side- just ordered and received new MAF's - replacing them tomorrow -

I think the error was some 0023

11. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    also - while I am bugging you - every have your Oil cap continuously come loose on the sump? Mine comes loose regularly - no matter how much I tighten it.

I can see the check valve on the booster ( looks white and blue) but I haven't taken the panels out yet to determine the "model" yet - but it is 'clean'

12. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
  13. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
  14. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    is this supposed to be a check valve or just a connector- because I took it off and there are NOT guts in it - and it's NOT a check valve anymore - if it once was

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. irix

irix Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    J.B
    Years ago i got my Break booster replaced and all lines are flushed several times because it was unclear when break fluild was replaced last time or why it have such a odd consistency. Dealer assumed overheated and extremely old.

Regards,
    Joerg

16. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the blue thing is NOT check valve, it is a connector.
    your check valve is #15, you have 2x , you have to access it in the engine bay, gymnastics

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Usually MAF probably will give you a CEL instantly, not afer 100 miles

18. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

yea, early 360 had this problem, ferrari's gave a solution on later productions. it is a small locking pin.

you can use a wire to circle the cap, then secure the wire to your MAF or anywhere around.

Ballvice likes this.
  19. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    I have NO idea where to find these (#15 above) and the Shop manual was ZERO help --- ugh ---

can I just stick a new on in the Frunk in the line between the boost pump and the metal hose connection?

20. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

are you talking bout the blue/white thing? No, that thing i bet $100 isn't your problem. And that 's not your check valve

21. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    no sir. - lol - I knew 10 seconds after I removed it - that it was more than likely not the check valve.

I’m searching high and low and doesn’t see them - my question was - couldn’t I just install one below the blue and white elbow - ho does the boost pump hold pressure if there isn’t a check valve right by it?

22. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
  23. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
  24. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

25. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

yea, that's the idea of late production 360 too.
    they revised it