Brake Caliper Bleed Valve Metric or Imperial? | FerrariChat

Brake Caliper Bleed Valve Metric or Imperial?

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348noob, Mar 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348noob

348noob Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    Singapore
    Hi Guys,

I was going to do a brake bleed on my 348, when I realized that the hex size on the bleed valves are BETWEEN 9mm and 10mm. Are the valves Imperial instead of Metric?

If it is indeed 3/8", then I'll have to go out to buy the right size. Everything is mostly Metric over here...

Would be great if someone could help me confirm the hex size of the valves. Mine could even have been changed!

Thanks!

2. F512M

F512M Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Lawrence
    Mine are 11mm.. Just got through replacing the old rubber brake lines so it is still fresh in my head... :)

3. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hello 348noob, I could be completely wrong but I recall my 348 bleeders as 11mm hex.

4. Skipro

Skipro Karting

Aug 14, 2006
    Que,Can//Naples,FL
    Full Name:
    Richard
    My car is up on my lift with the wheels off, so I checked the bleed screws with a wrench. Definitely 11mm.

5. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    What's a good source for buying metric tools?

6. F512M

F512M Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Lawrence
    Sears, Home depot, Lowes, etc. For shade tree guys like us Sameer, we don't need professional grade tools. :)

7. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    You need to buy a 6 point box wrench, not a 12 point. I even prefer the 6 point to the "bleeder" wrench, which is a 6 point with a cutout.

Jay

8. 348noob

348noob Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    Singapore
    Checked again, fronts are deifnitely 11m.... weird thing are the rears, these are the ones that aren't 11mm, somewhere between 9 and 10. Probably someone changed them before. Really strange.

I'll go buy the right ones and have them replaced. May consider getting Speedbleeders as replacements...

On the same note, I've used Speedbleeders for all my previous cars with good success, very easy when you don't have extra help. Anyone here use them for the 348? Will the ABS pump cause problems with the one-man bleed procedure of the Speedbleeders? I am guessing that the pressure will overcome the one-way valve of the Speedbleeders and you can't really do a one-man brake bleed - still need to close the valve during ABS pump running. Correct me if I'm wrong.... unless the pressure from the ABS pump is not so high?

That being said, anyone know the thread size and pitch of the bleed valves, will need this spec in order to buy Speedbleeders. M8 x 1? M10 x 1?

Thanks guys!

9. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    We have a huge supply of metric tools here in Canada. If you guys are ever up this way check out the "Canadian Tire Store" (CTC) and you will find some great 300 piece sets for around $200 with a life time warranty.