"Brake Failure" light glowing intermittently | FerrariChat

"Brake Failure" light glowing intermittently

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PBonneau, May 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PBonneau

PBonneau Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Six months ago my brake system was rebuilt on my '86 Mondial (non ABS). It received new rotors, new pads, new flexible brake lines, and the calipers were rebuilt. All great until a few days ago when the "Brake Failure" light located between the speedo and tach started to illuminate intermittently. it glows for a few miles and then turns off for a few miles. Then it comes back on again for a while and turns off. The brakes are working fine otherwise. My reservoir is full, too.

Has anyone experience this intermittent glowing of the "Brake Failure" light? If yes, what was cure?

Thank you!

Philippe

2. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Step 1 is check the fuse associated with the light if brakes really are working fine.

3. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Also check the front brake pads and sensors, normally if they are worn they will make contact and the light will show. Easy to unplug the brake pads sensor wires which are near to the calipers as another test...

swong46 likes this.
  4. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    You need to look into the clutch slave cylinder........your brake fluid and clutch hydraulic system are one in the same, share fluid and you will get a brake failure reading if the clutch is acting up. I know because it happened to me. My brake failure light started coming on. I started noticing oil on the garage floor, driver side, front of the motor. I thought it was the shifter shaft seal leaking and I should have put my finger in it to look at the color and smell it. Brake fluid (oil). This happened for about 2 weeks before the clutch completely gave out and ended up stranded in 2nd gear and needing a tow. Look around the engine compartment for signs of leaking oil and keep your reservoir filled so you dont get air in the clutch system. Hope this helps

Freerange72 likes this.
  5. PBonneau

PBonneau Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the replies; keep sending me ideas! Right now I am taking notes as to when the "Brake Failure" light comes on and goes off. I am trying to see if there is a repetitive pattern to the light illuminating. If it becomes predictive then perhaps that will lead me to the fault.

Philippe

6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Wouldn't this show up as low fluid in the brake reservoir?
    Regards,
    Jerry

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Erm... brake fluid isn't oil.

8. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Yes I experienced low fluid levels in the reservoir.

Well they talk about the importance of changing old brake fluid because water condensation can make its way into the brake fluid system and cause corrosion and other problems......thats why I referenced it as oil.

Why dont you two chaps come up with some helpful suggestions instead of contradicting my idea or terminology. I am writing from personal experience where my brake failure light was coming on and I had good brakes and no signs of brake problems.

9. PBonneau

PBonneau Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Well, I have some news to report. About 10 days ago my Brake Failure light started behaving normally. It still comes on at start up, and then turns off (as it should). I have put about a hundred miles on the car since then, and the light is no longer illuminating intermittently. I guess the "gremlin" that was causing the erratic light has moved on to irritate some other Ferrari owner. I got lucky this time!

Philippe

10. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Nice! You know, it's better to drive these cars on a regular basis. Like with my golden Mondial that hadn't been on the road for many years, some things started working again like the speedometer and the rev counter that didn't move before driving the first 100km again. Spend a little TLC on 'em and they'll feel much better :)

Pero likes this.