Brake Failure light on | FerrariChat

Brake Failure light on

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ltoth, May 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ltoth

ltoth Rookie

Nov 20, 2008
    heidelberg,ont.
    Full Name:
    leslie toth
    87 Mondial cab with ABS. I bought this car last spring, in the summer drove it once in a while due to limited maintenance by the previous owners. In the winter replaced timing belts, belt tensioners,plugs, plug extensions, bled the clutch fluid (black ink) and bled the brakes (black ink). The front-no problem, the rear, after loosening the bleed nipple, nothing. The brake pedal did not go to the floor and naturally no brake fluid from the brakes. Yesterday I got the car going,the engine is running fine( it was my main worry) but now the Brake failure light is on, soon as I turn on the ignition, and it stays on . I drove the car around the block, my brakes are fine, but the light stays on.I suspect that the Delay Valve at $ 775.98 and or the Pressure regulator at 47.22 -Ricambi prices,T Rutlands does not have them-is the suspect. Before I spend the $, have you guys ever used the $ 50-$60 adjustable brake proportioning valves (Amazon, Auto Anything etc.) or is my problem something else ? And again : I got this problem only after I changed the brake fluid.

2. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Two years ago my 3.2 brake failure light came on. I vigorously tested them. I mean VIGOROUSLY from 60-70mph repeatedly with fumes. Two years and going on eleven thousand miles I have done nothing. And the brake light has not come on for a year and a half. But given that brakes are a serious matter I do not recommend this to you.

3. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    How does the fluid in the master cylinder look? Not sure on the 3.2 cars but on my 308 if the fluid gets low the brake light will come on. The other way to trigger it is if there is an imbalance from front to rear on pressure. I had a bad seal in my master cylinder where fluid leaked into the booster. I had to send both out to be rebuilt when my brake light came on.

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 soucorp, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Yes this is true. The 3.2 Mondials will have a "brake failure light" come on if the fluid is low in the master cylinder. Just make sure the level is within range and the fluid sensor should turn off on the light. If it doesn't, its prob stuck or ABS is not functioning. BTW, the brake fluid master cylinder also is used for the clutch slave cylinder as well as brake pressure.

Best

5. ltoth

ltoth Rookie

Nov 20, 2008
    heidelberg,ont.
    Full Name:
    leslie toth
    I checked the brake fluid level, it is somewhat below the MAX line,there is still some room to the top of the holder.

6. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    there is a max fill line that it should be at

how is your clutch?

there could be air in the system

7. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I had a similar problem some weeks ago. My brake pedal didn't even go down and the brakes stopped working with that light on. Had it towed to the garage and the verdict was that some connectors at the brake cylinder and expansion ball had corroded so the electrics didn't work. The guy cleaned everything up and brakes started working again.

8. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    I had experienced this 2 yrs ago . The car's brake pedal was hard & there was no brake at all. The 2 front brake hoses were non functioning and they have hardened because of age. Upon replacing the pair of hoses , everything went back to normal.

Audio research

9. F-car

F-car Karting

Feb 25, 2009
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    CK
    I had similar experience..

10. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    With older cars simpler is almost always better. No power steering. No anti-lock brakes and no adjustable shocks. For instance my passenger side power window has been dead two years but does not know it yet. If it ever does quit I plan to have a window crank machined out of titanium, jamb it into the hole provided and drive on.

11. ltoth

ltoth Rookie

Nov 20, 2008
    heidelberg,ont.
    Full Name:
    leslie toth
    Hallelujah brothers and sisters! Problem solved: the brake fluid level was between the MIN and Max line: another 12 oz of brake fluid and the light goes out as soon as I turn the engine. As for power windows i spent a month on the right window on my 308, eventually I traced it to the fuse box, somehow a wire got mixed up. It is a good idea to spray silicon lubricant in the tracks and lubricate the rollers: you will be surprised how many of them not turning freely.Yes, you have to remove the door panels to do it.

12. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Hallelujah !

13. F-car

F-car Karting

Feb 25, 2009
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    CK
    Hi, Anyone has 3.2 ABS brake system wiring diagram or repair manual? Thanks

enzo360 likes this.
  14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have an idea it has 2 bulbs in each brake light fitting if memory serves me right, if 1 goes the alarm comes on but the other keeps working. I may be wrong as years since my mondial.

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have the 3.2 witing diagrams somewhere, also available via google search

16. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand