Brake fluid flush 458 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Brake fluid flush 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by vincep99, Jun 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. justthebest

justthebest Formula Junior

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    As long as an amount of air that's the entire volume of the car's fluid reservoir does not enter the process, there should not be any air introduced via a pressure bleed. If the total amount of combined air in the top of the reservoir and line from the bleeder exceed that volume, air will be pushed into the system. Some air in the car's reservoir is fine, as the pressure will push whatever is closest to the reservoir drain into the system (thanks to gravity, it will be fluid unless there is not a sufficient amount).

2. Anindith Reddy

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Anindith Reddy
    thanks for the write up. Did you get the reservoir cap with the whole kit or you had to source that separately?

3. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Does anyone know if there are any speed bleeder screws available on the market our 458s similar to these?

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Unfortunately, these folks do not seem to offer any for Ferrari.

I've used them on my other cars and they seem to help quite a bit not allow any air back into the system at the caliper when bleeding brakes

4. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi vincep99, I hope you are well. Getting ready to flush the brakes on my 2011 458. I am wanting to ask if you able to cycle the ABS valve with your INNOVA tool?

5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I have the European Motive bleeder. It makes bleeding the brakes really easy. You can choose to fill the Motive bleeder with brake fluid, or just keep an eye on the master cylinder reservoir( this is what I did)
    A buddy helped me by watching the reservoir to make sure it never went too low on fluid, while I was opening the bleeders on the calipers. You pump up the Motive bleeder to about 10 psi, then open one of the bleeders until the brake fluid comes out clear, then do the next one. You should do the caliper that is furthest from the master cylinder, first.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

johnr265 and mdrums like this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Extreme 1 this is exactly what I have been doing for years. Doing this at home or at the track has been a cleaner and easy way.

johnr265 likes this.
  7. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Thanks. I have the European Motive bleeder that I plan to use; I'm just wanting to find out if the ABS valves can be cycled with the INNOVA OBDII tool.

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm interested in this answer as well. From what I gathered, it isn't important to cycle the ABS if you do the fluid often, but better if you did it. My additional question is:
    If the ABS is cycled for a brake bleed procedure, is it cycled before the bleed procedure, during the procedure as fluid is being pushed through, or after the fluid replacement?

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Good question. As far as I know, no one has posted the procedure to flush the ABS circuit. If there is a cheap-ish diagnostic tool to do this it would be worth it.

hgoodwiniii likes this.
  10. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have the Launch Pro Mini, it will do this function (and MANY more). However a tool is useles if the operator doesn't know how to use it, lol.
    I have a pretty good handle on it, but it does so much more than I need, and/or are capable of. I would definitely like to know the brake bleed answer, so I can get the best bleed possible.

11. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Is the Launch Mini Pro that you are using, the same one that Regular Car Guy (Daniel) on You Tube uses? It's about $780 on Amazon.

He used it to flush the F1 system on his 430, so it should be able to do the ABS system. I emailed him and he said it's worked well for him, but he didn't get specific about what else he used it for. Daniel has a 458 now, but he hasn't posted a video about bleeding the brakes with it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

up4speed likes this.
  12. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, I have the same one as him. I got it for $600 (on Ebay, he accepted an offer, but I was told that he won't go that low anymore).
    My tool does the ABS and anything else you can think of because it has specific Ferrari programming (as well as >100 other makes).
    I just wanted to know if there's a proper time to cycle the ABS pump in order to get a better flush.

13. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I would think you would want to cycle the ABS while the brake system is pressurized with the Motiv and the fluid is flowing thru the bleeder. Not 100% sure, but that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

greg328 likes this.
  14. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I just bought the same scanner on EBay. Got it for $645. Thank you for the information.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I figured the same, using common sense, but I tried to look through videos on youtube, and wasn't able to confirm. I saw one or two videos that showed the person cycle it after the bleed was done. Of course since its youtube, I took it with a grain of salt and wanted confirmation from a mechanic on the correct method.

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Did a little looking and the ABS is built into the hydraulic unit (a $4k part) that's fed by the master cylinder and drives each wheel in a separate circuit. If any wheel locks up during braking a sensor tells the hydraulic unit and it engages a solenoid to pulse that brake independently. So the ABS is in series with each corner. Given that setup I would engage the ABS when flushing each of the four corners. Even if the hydraulic unit has a small internal reservoir where pressure can be regulated it makes sense to do it at each corner. My $0.02.

17. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi up4speed, thanks for your help. I just ordered the Launch X431 mini pro. I'm excited about it getting here so I can flush my brakes and turn off that green wrench when I change my oil.

up4speed likes this.
  18. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
  19. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Hiiii

I do this procedure with my lexus without pressuring the break system.

1- release little bit the brake screw in the caliper ( first front two tyres)
    2- start the engine
    3- very soft brake press and check if the oil is released
    4- keep refilling the brake oil tank to the recommended limit
    5- check the if new oil reached out
    6- screw or close the front two calipers
    7- turn off the engine
    8- I repeat the same procedure with rear two screws for oil brake releaser

This is my own experience which I think it might be similar to the ferarri.

in the middle east, the temperature might reach 50c in the summer and I do the oil brake flush every year to avoid ABS failure issues which the oil becomes greasy in the ABS.

Thanks

20. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015

I flushed my 458 brakes today; I used 3 pints of Motul 600 brake fluid, A Motive pressure bleeder and the Launch X431 mini pro. The Launch instructs you to bleed rear left, front left, front right and then rear right in that order and to bleed the inner bleeder 1st then the outer on each caliper. Once you are done with each, caliper you hit "Ok" and the Launch instructs you to go to the next one. Once you are done with all of them, you can hear the ABS motor kick on for about a minute. My fluid was fairly dirty with ~7,000 miles. The previous owner had it flushed in 2018. My moisture tool indicated the old fluid had 2.5% moisture.

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That sounds like a decent tool. My observation would be if all the wheels were done and the bleeders closed then the ABS motor pumped old fluid into the just replaced fluid. Unless, of course, thre is a seperate bleeder for the ABS circuit that was opened.

22. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    That's the way it seems; I did activate the pump by accident with one of the bleeders (the 1st one) open and fluid stated flowing like a river out of that bleeder so I believe I got all of the old out. I started over then bled all calipers in sequence.

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You know that sounds pretty awesome. Why not just crack the bleeder at each corner and initiate the ABS pump - power bleed!! Just keep feeding the reservoir. :)

hgoodwiniii likes this.
  24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    @ My observation would be if all the wheels were done and the bleeders closed then the ABS motor pumped old fluid into the just replaced fluid.@

Have read it all here … and I did blled many cars over last 10 years …

Does it really matter if that little fluid of the ABS gets mixed with the renewed brake fluid ?

Don't think it proves/gives a problem. If you think it does, bleed a second time. Cost of fluid can not be an issue imo.

More people give us their experiences please !