Brake fluid flush 458 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Brake fluid flush 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by vincep99, Jun 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    #51 tekaefixe, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    If you purge the whole system how many liters to get it full again? 2L?

and did anyone changed the brake fluid to
    CASTROL REACT SRF BRAKE FLUID? It should be the best since it’s a DOT 5.1. Any feedback?

Thank you guys!

2. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Liter to flush system. Castrol SRF is not the best. A lot of racers do not like it because it is compressible. In other words brake pedal can feel spongy. SRF has been around a long time and when it came out front brake cooling wasn’t as good as it is today. So Castrol figured out a way to bind oxygen atoms to the synthetic make up to provide a barrier to the heat and give the fluid a higher boil point. Downside is the oxygen makes the fluid more compressible from fluids with less oxygen. It’s also a Dot 4 fluid which is what most modern cars call for.
    I am more of a fan of Moltul rbf660 or Endless rf650. Pedal feel is way better.

Now if you do not take your car these fluids are not needed.

tekaefixe likes this.
  3. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Thanks Mike, great info! Will go with the other bands you recommend!

mdrums likes this.
  4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Motul RBF600 or 660 is great.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #55 Il Co-Pilota, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    This I will have to disagree on. Here in Europe the SRF is the most popular racing fluid by far, and from personal experience, I don't find it compressible at all. Especially when things get properly hot, it remains firm.

You are correct about the original SRF, but the current version does not suffer from compression like it used to. Have it in the 488 and there nothing. Another advantage I find is that it needs less maintenance than the others. If you're okay with flushing the system often, Pagid and Motul is fine, but they are way more hygroscopic than the OE fluid and RSF, so if not changed often, boiling point drops.

Lastly it is worth noting that the 458 does not have the best brake cooling in the world. That's why they made significant changes to the brake cooling on the Speciale.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Need4Spd and elt360 like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The 488 took 1.5 liter to flush, including cycling the ABS.

If you change the type of fluid, you need to cycle the ABS during flushing.

If you're going to run better fluid, I'd suggest upgrading your brake lines to HEL fully stainless jecketed PTFE lines. Not only do they make the brakes feel more responsive, they are a lot less susceptible to water diffusion compared to the OE rubber lines. A lot of the moisture in the fluid comes through the lines, so that's worth noting.

If you contact Ben at HEL Performance, he can set you up with a full set for 100£ including shipment here in Europe. https://auto.helperformance.com/ferrari-458-4-5-v8-2009-braided-brake-lines

These are not Chinese garbage lines. These are manufactured and assembled in the UK. They are 100% plug and play.

Need4Spd and tekaefixe like this.
  7. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Impecable information , thank you ;) Will do so!

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    tekaefixe likes this.
  9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't see why these are not standard in such a car along with adjustable suspension. Just pass the cost on and have the benefit of superior performance and adjustability.

greg328 likes this.
  10. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    For the life of me I don’t understand this. Isn’t this supposed to be a Ferrari?! Like a special car?! Not even a pista has this...
    Do the GT Porsche’s or Macs come with steel brake lines oem?

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Mac's don't. Some Porsches have, but not sure about the current gt line. Don't think so.

tekaefixe likes this.
  12. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    This is so stupid...why?! it costs nothing comparing to the price of these cars!

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If stupid was a reason not to do something, many little things will have to be changed.
    Fact is this. No car is perfect and all manufactures try to cut costs. Look at it this way. They charge us more for the ****ty rubber lines than these. Buy low sell high. Look at your exhaust manifold. They provide the V12 cars with good headers, and Ferrari makes some ofvthe best and most efficient intakes on the planet. They know how to make an efficient exhaust manifold. So why have they fitted the 458 with a P.O.S log manifold that has shown to be robbing tons of torque and hp? Cutting costs. But if you want an OE replacement, that garbage will cost you as much as a set of Capristo headers.

If we look closely, it is easy to find fault. I like Ferrari very much and they are the marque I feel the strongest about. But I know they are not perfect and I choose to rectify the little things which can make a big difference.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  14. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    True the 458 with inconel headers and exhaust lets say from Kline get you 600hp without tune, with maybe 620. Cwazy!

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #65 Need4Spd, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Good to know. I have stainless braided lines in my 360, and the brake feel improvement is significant.

Here is another supplier that I found but haven’t tried.

https://www.exoticcargear.com/product/ferrari-stainless-break-lines/

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

16. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Very interesting post, Il Co-Pilota!

Out of sheer curiosity, do you have a rough estimate of how much torque and horsepower one might get on the 458 if one replaces the substandard OEM manifolds you mentioned?

Kind regards and thank you in advance.

Nuno.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't know about Kline. As far as I know, they haven't proven any numbers yet. But Capristo and Fabspeed make some great headers. Inconel will not give you power, that will just save you a bit of weight.
    600 without tune, that's impossible. If anyone says that, they are lying. That's more than what Novi, Fab and Capristo get with a tune. Without a tune, maybe 18-20 extra hp if it's a good design. With a tune, you get about 30-35 real hp. That's a hell of a lot for simple trimming and an exhaust. If one does the headers, being it Kline, Novi, Fab or Capristo, one should seriously consider a tune for safety's sake. The main reason why it makes more power, is because it scavenges the combustion chamber much better than the logs, but the engine has been tuned for the logs. This means it can easily cause a lean condition - that's why there's so much extra to be had of one includes a tune. Those cylinders will be running pretty lean without and that will cause a rise in temps. Will be really nasty if the rings butt and lift a ringland.

tekaefixe likes this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hp has been from 25-35 hp depending on the tune. Like I wrote above, I would not do headers without a tune. Torque varies greatly as that is so dependent on what the tuner aims for. A good tune will not give you the most peak power, but rather a healthy bump all across the curve. Fabspeed claims 34 hp and 30 ft. The best tunings I've seen has been a bit less but all across the the curve. The shop I use for anything that is not dealer related, being it new tyres, brake fluid, alignment etc. have a load based 4wd dyno with full air circulation. This matters as they do all tunes as if the car was on the road. It's not just an inertia dyno doing a "hero pull" to satisfy the client. What I'm getting at is the fact that shops are different and there's many variables.

Best thing to do is not look at the actual power figure, but rather the gain in percentage before and after. One dyno might show 560 hp on a base pull, while another shows 580 or 540 etc. The important bit is the difference. A gain of 5-6% is pretty good overall, and that's the best way of looking at it. It might not seem like a lot, but it's significant. If the engine makes 560 hp before, 6% means 593 after. Just make sure the shop does at least 5 power pulls back to back they average as base number. Car needs to be in proper warm condition to get real world numbers. Any shop can make a stout hero pull on a car that has piping hot oil and trans fluid, but has been on the dyno with the fans going to get the coolant temps down. That's cheating the client. Same should be done after the tune. Both to get a good average number, but also to make damn sure the car can run with the tune even when hot. It does not work if the car can run fine when not properly hot, but as soon as you push it a bit, it starts to detonate because the chambers are now hot.

19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Great explanation. Thank you for taking the time to write it, I really appreciate it.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

greg328 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No prob:)

greg328 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  21. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    There’s a video of a tuned 458 always getting in front of a 488. Tune and full exhaust

xfrgtr and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Clearly that's not me in the 488 then:cool:
    I don't care how you tune that 458. Unless you stick turbos on it, a 458 will never outrun a 488:) That's not a 458 vs. 488 thing, that's just simply physics:D

mdrums likes this.
  23. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Here after minute 6:00

xfrgtr likes this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Don't believe everything you see on Youtube. Tried it enough to know this is fishy.

But let's do the math with a 458 which have an additional 30 ft. tq which is what matters in a drag race.
    We have to go by curb weight as we don't have specifics.
    The tuned 458 has 428 ft. tq.
    The stock 488 has 561 ft. tq.
    The 458 has a curb weight of 1565 kg.
    The 488 has a curb weight of 1548 kg.
    So the 458 has a kg to ft.tq ratio of 3.656 kg per ft.lb. and the 488 has a ratio of 2.759 kg per ft.lb.

The answer is simply, "no". If you find yourself next to a 488 Spider, give it a try.

25. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    When swapping out the brake lines how difficult is it to properly refill and bleed the system afterwards?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app