Brake fluid flush 458 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Brake fluid flush 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by vincep99, Jun 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    They can buy high and sell higher when it comes to parts that require no design and just procurement. Especially those things that noticeably improve vehicle dynamics. They suddenly increased the price of all models dramatically and buyers sucked it up. I think they spend lot of money in areas of production and aesthetics and then just churn out the models. Cut Manzoni budget and increase supplier quality on these items and you will garner better reviews in the industry, noticeably improved performance compared to competition and a happier clientele.

tekaefixe likes this.
  2. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Especially when Ferrari is a Joke now, quite sad to see actually. Just make nice roads cars. Mercedes will keep destroying everyone.

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It depends on what you are doing

If you're switching fluid type, you need a computer that can cycle the ABS. So this usually means dealer.

But seeing that your dealer will probably not change your lines, best thing is to go to the dealer for the fluid, then you can do the lines at home.

If you stick to the regular fluid, it is pretty easy. It is more tedious than anything. But the calipers have easy access to the bleed nipples.

If your fluid is in good condition and ypu want to stick with what you have, no need to flush. Just bleed after install

A little tech tip i like to use when swapping lines. I prefer to get as little air through the calipers as possible, so I do this little step.
    Install the male end of the line onto the fitting that comes from the reservoir. This is screwed on first, as this fitting does not rotate. Now reinstall the clamp supporting the line.
    Before screwing the female end/banjo bolt on, do the following. Have your helper/scantily dessed beautiful assistant depress the pedal. Keep a rag on the end of the hose as fluid will come out. Now it is really important that your helper does NOT release the pedal in till you Have tightened down this fitting. After you tightened this fitting, bleed this corner before moving on. I find it easier to finish a corner completely at once.

Anyway, this little step means that you install a bled line instead of a line full of air.

Have fun

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Need4Spd and tekaefixe like this.
  4. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks for this guide. It says to release pressure at the tank, is that the same as the master cylinder where the red cap is or another location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need4Spd likes this.
  5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    NO! Never release pressure at the master cylinder fluid reservoir, or you may spray fluid all over the place!!
    To release pressure, you need to loosen the cap on the motive bleeder tank (slowly). Once the pressure gauge goes to zero, you can then take the bleeder cap and tubing off of the master fluid reservoir.

Need4Spd likes this.
  6. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I ordered HEL steel lines and they just arrived!

my question on installation is, once I unscrew and remove the old lines, won’t brake fluid shoot out everywhere and start flowing? How do you install the lines without the system being dry? Is there a cutoff that prevents the valves from leaking brake fluid when the line is removed?

Also, should the threads on the lines have red loctite or another chemical applied?

Thank you

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #82 Il Co-Pilota, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    Here's what you do when swapping lines.

Start by pressing the pads back on all four calipers.

This permits you to push the brake pedal to the floor without putting pressure on the system. When the pedal is to the floor, you put a stick between the pedal and the seat to keep it depressed. You do this because that closes the valves in the cylinder and thus the system won't drain out when you unscrew the old hoses.

Then you just unscrew the old lines and install the new ones. No loctite or the like.

Just got word back from Michael Breitenbach from Pagid. Pagid has the RSC2 pads for the 458 in stock and ready to ship. Shoot me a PM if you want me to put you in contact with him.

FerrariCognoscenti likes this.
  8. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    This is a brilliant explanation, thank you. I greatly appreciate your help and contributions, and always look forward to your posts. I will look to do this job in the next day or two. Is there a particular torque setting I should use when screwing in the new stainless lines?

Yes, definitely interested in the RSC2 pads for the 458. Will send you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk