Brake flush on '13 cali | FerrariChat

Brake flush on '13 cali

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Piper, Jul 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
  2. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    Bob, wouldn't your 7yr maintenance cover this at a Ferrari dealer? Unless, of course, you don't have one near by for convenience sake. I will have to take my 13 to Atlanta (150 miles) but feel it is worth it for me personally. Bud

3. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks, bud. For some reason I didn't expect a brake flush to be covered. Interesting that was seven years of free maintenance Ferrari of Washington would try to sell me a brake flush out of schedule. I wish I could say I'm surprised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    You can to look up the ‘free brake flush’ in your service manual. I think it is done every two years.
    The more expensive question is the wear on the pads and rotors!

5. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Are you saying annual vs biennial could perhaps extend brake life?

6. BUD STONER

BUD STONER Karting

Apr 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    BUD STONER
    Bob, I think Maibu is right on the brake flush every 2 years. You do get an oil change and cabin filter each yr. Also, a general check over but not the 101 ck to qualify for the power warranty.

7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I wasn’t trying to imply anything about how a brake flush can affect pad or rotor life.

I was simply asking if you had brake performance concerns which might be related to the state of the brake pad and rotor.

Both of which are significantly more expensive than a mere brake fluid flush.

(Replacing all 4 Carbon ceramic rotors is quite expensive.)

8. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Lucky for me I don't have CCB's. Last Fcar I had was a 599 with challenge wheels. I think I'd have shot myself if that car hadn't had CCB's, keeping up with the brake dust would have been a full time job. But the Cali has plain ol' steel rotors and five spoke rims.

Pretty hard to wear our carbon ceramic rotors. Biggest fear there is a rock chip.

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If you are talking about a 2013 Cali, I believe it has CC rotors.

(A vintage Claifornia spider has steel rotors.)

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nah, it's an option, one mine doesn't have and I'm glad.

11. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well hell, someone told me to go LOOK and low and behold, I do have CCB's. FMITA, I had no idea. I should be embarrassed to say that, maybe a little. But unlike all the others, I haven't really cared to learn much about the Cali. I was SURE they were steel. Oh well. Hahah

12. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    CCB became standard equipment on 08 I believe across all models of Ferrari. Another interesting thing is just how much the nannies apply the brakes in normal driving. I have driven examples that squeeked a lot and you can hear it every time the nannies apply the brakes. I believe this more then anything else is why they went to CCB as standard equipment as steel brakes would probably 1 get too hot and 2 would wear out very quickly. So if you are servicing your own car be sure to inspect your CCB pads and rotors for wear.

13. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah, egg on face I didn't know. I was SURE they were steel. It's funny, I used to care SO MUCH about knowing all the technical details about my cars. For whatever reason, I've thought of the Cali entirely differently. And although having CCB's will make zero difference to me, actually kinda sucks in that I have a brake squeak I was hoping to correct with a pad replacement that may never happen now in the time I own her, I'm actually a bit more impressed with the car that she has the equipment.

So sorry guys for arguing the point and thanks for setting me straight.

14. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    When the carbon ceramic brakes squeak, rinsing the (cold) rotors with water can help. The rims never get visibly dirty but there is some dust that can makes the brakes a little noisy, at least in my experience.

15. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Wasn’t trying to call you out at all, just the info I gathered researching the California and a little observation and opinion on my part. I was pretty suprised how often I could detect a bit of brake squeal from the nannies applying the brakes on a few cars that did have some brake squeal though. It was way more then I thought.

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh I didn't think you were and don't give it a moment's thought. You all were right pleasant considering the level of ignorance I was displaying...lol. I knew a LOT of specs on all the others I've owned, but for some reason haven't cared to know the details on the Cali. And it's the first post 2008 I've owned.