Brake light mods | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Brake light mods

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mrbon007, Aug 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I need to do this! I just had a guy ask me in traffic if my brake lights were out lol.

2. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Aaaaand we got pulled over because "our brake lights were out". I can't find anyone in LA willing to do this mod for me and I'm really not comfortable tackling it solo. Argh

3. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    I too have had people pull up and say my taillights aren't working (car is lowered on Novitec Coilovers and is maybe 4" off the ground.) When the Cali comes back from service and Airbag recall in ATL I will be doing this with pics and try to incorporate the turn signals. I believe the main rear lighting wiring harness runs along the passenger side to the passenger foot well. I have even considered doing the wiring under the steering wheel footwell at the switch but I need to inspect it first. Hope everyone had a great New Years!

rob.kruiswijk likes this.
  4. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Just an update to this thread. I had the lights rewired on our '15 Cali T. Instead of wiring the fogs to the lower lights, we left the wiring in place. So, admittedly, we have five brake lights now (not a terrible thing) and the fog light functionality actually still works as it did before.

5. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Do you have a write-up? I need to do this still.

6. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    No write up I'm afraid. I had La Jolla Audio do the work for me before I dropped off my R8 for work there. They more or less did what was described earlier in this thread, but getting to the lower lights to swap things around is a bit more complicated than it seemed. Rather than spend $$$ on extra hours of labor, we opted to leave the fogs as is, meaning, they still turn on as normal with the switch. However, the brake lights in the lower bumper continue to function, so when you hit the brakes, you get all five lighting up. I'll post a pic or two when I get home.

7. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Here is a video I shot of the result in action. Sequence is lights on, brakes on, turn signals, then brakes off but I hit the foglight so you can see them on with the tails. I'm very happy with the results. . .

whatheheck, Skippy and crinoid like this.
  8. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Dumb question. When you brake while your left turn signal is ON, what happens?

9. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Check this out....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Thanks.

Does this exact mod work on the Cali T?

I agree that is looks much much better when all rear brake lights are "on full".

11. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Yes. Our car is a Cali T. To answer the question about turn signals while braking, I checked it out. The lower lights (original brake lights) will flash for the turn signal and the upper lights will remain solid and bright under braking.

12. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
  13. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    In my opinion that doesn't look so hot to me. Also, the mod is pretty straightforward for anyone decent with electrical. It was worth every penny in our book for the added visibility and lack of pestering from price who thought our brake lights didn't work.

California Dreams likes this.
  14. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I wish someone would strap a GoPro to their head with a head strap, do the mod, and upload it to YouTube. I'd attempt it then lol.

Federal man likes this.
  15. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Great mod and good looking. I was heading to my car to do it when I realized my rear lights did not look the same as in the US. On my car/in Europe the center of the upper lights is white and used for reverse. It illuminates in white when going backward. What about the american versions ? Do you have a reverse light ? Where ?

16. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    The reverse light is the same, white and center in our cali T as you can see in the above video. It works the same after the mod.

17. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Thanks. On my Cali the center of the light is white. On the pics of the blue cali above it is red. This confused me !

18. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
  19. bob44

bob44 Karting

Apr 18, 2010
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob Putman
    The blue car above is a California, not a Cali T.

20. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    True ! Thanks

21. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    I really want to do this, and mostly understand the steps. They are a little confusing and I don't know if I will do it without more detail. If someone could post the exact steps in even more detail, I think more people would do it. If anyone goes ahead with this, please take photos of each step.

22. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Ditto!

23. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
  24. rneria

rneria Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rudy Neria

>>>>> Aballas a little confused and not sure if my wires are different from yours but I would appreciate your help and GREAT job on the mod looks great and trying to do the same thing to mine - I have attached pictures of my wiring

If you'd like you can also text me 972-375-2591 again thanks in advance on your help!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. nice work on the mods guys